What are you brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I know the feeling Reg.

There is soo much to try but the problem is resources available is fairly limited besides I'm running out of space to put all the bottles to mature. If my counting is correct I have about 400 bottles (a mixture of stubbies and longnecks).

The old lady has taken my beer fridge over with all these salads although on the bright side no one should go hurry tomorrow :D

Well, you can never have too many milk crates - milk crates underpin my entire brewing venture. I don't know where I'd be without milk crates - probably with every inch of floorspace taken up with bottles. :)

cheers
reg

I think that this is called a "thread resurrection". I decided to post here coz this thread was pre-existing. So I'm lazy...

But not too lazy to get up at 6:20 on a Saturday, in a quiet house and bring things to life with the commencement of a 30 litre (first time at this volume) stove-top triple-decocted weizen. Hey, it's my kitchen, too! :D

Just doughed in at 35C for an acid/hydration rest for 20 min. Then another infusion and on to the decoctions. I may have time for a shower, somewhere in there, coz I won't be able to do that once I have begun decocting.

Bring it on! :beerbang: (I may save the drinking until a little later, though).

I didn't realise how hard it is to get 25 litres of water at 38-ish C without an HLT. That shall be next on the list, after I concrete the floor in the downstairs room (currently a laundry/ cellar) and install the permanent brew-room.

...Oh Hans-ie boy, I hear the weizen ca-alling (to the tune of "Danny Boy"). :rolleyes:

BJCP this arvo. Must brew early to make it in time.

Beerz
Seth :p

* Edit: starting to remove the first decoction portion now, for a 52C protein rest. 7:40 AM
*Edit 2: Starting the boil of my second decoction now to produce my first saccarification rest at 62C. Could be a little while as the stovetop boil is not very quick. 8:30AM
*Edit 3: Only got to 61C last time. Just boiling a decoction amount of about 10 litres to get the mash up to 72C. Added to mash at 10:12 AM. got my target temp this time. 1/2 hr rest, so I can have a wash and do some shopping at the local bakery.

Almost at the end of the sparge of the Evil Twin Ale here.
7degC here at 5:45am this morning when I doughed in :p

Doc

Well done, Doc. That's dedication.
I had my long coat on when I started this morning too. Just couldn't force myself out of bed before 6:20.
R U having a beer yet :lol:

Is it best for me to edit the original post, or should I tack on further replies as I go, for updates?

Seth out :p

You guys make me look lazy, didn't dough in until 8:00am.

Hirsebier on the go today.

65% Millet pils
20% Millet light crystal
15% Millet dark munich

25 IBU's of Tettnang at 60 min

Saf wheat/ale K-97

30 min @ 40C for beta glucan rest done
30 min @ 55C for protein rest done
enzyme liquid removed
20 min @ 70C for mini conversion ATM

Just heading down to bring it up to 85C to gelatinise the starch.

Edit: 10:30 - Added chilled water and enzyme liquid back to mash and hit 60C spot on, time to leave it for an hour or so to convert.
Edit: 20:00 - Didn't get finished until 18:00 as a decided to let it convert for a couple of hours while I did something else, oh and had a stuck sparge or two <_< 20 litres @ 1.048 from 4 kg of malt, overshot my target OG by 2 points - smells and tastes good.

Cheers, Andrew.

Well into the boil here. Sparge had finished by 8:30, then it was off the hardware shop to get more propane before taking my son to swimming lessons.
Unfortunately the inventory that says I had 300gr of Centennial was incorrect. I have 50gr :angry:
Will be subbing Magnum instead.

Doc

Unfortunately the inventory that says I had 300gr of Centennial was incorrect. I have 50gr :angry:

Doc

Doc, This would be closer if you have them - from the CraftBrewer site:

Possible Substitutions Cascade, possibly Columbus or Chinook. Analytically a blend of 70% Cascade and 30% Columbus will give similar profile.

Edit : just realised you don't have Colombus, but substitute Chinook would be bvery close.

Cheers Ross

Doc

Doc, This would be closer if you have them - from the CraftBrewer site:

Possible Substitutions Cascade, possibly Columbus or Chinook. Analytically a blend of 70% Cascade and 30% Columbus will give similar profile.

Edit : just realised you don't have Colombus, but substitute Chinook would be bvery close.

Cheers Ross

Didn't want to go Cascade as that is what I used in the Hopback. Thought about Chinook, but went Magnum because I've been using it a lot lately and really like it.
Just means I'll have to get some more Centennial so I can brew it again as per Plan A :p

Have you got Columbus in stock now ?

Doc

Brewed 6 Gallons of all grain Irish Red on Saturday night - doughed-in at 6pm and finished the washing up at 1am Sunday / when the stout glass was empty! Bairds Stout, TF Crystal and Roast Barley - EK Goldings to bitter and I strayed from style with 1056 for a clean crisp ale!!
It's bubbling away merrily as I left for work this morning...

Cheers,
TL

It's a designated brew day today for me.

Brewing an Amber Ale which is the second part of a Newcastle Brown clone (blend with another darker Old Ale) and also brewing an APA.

First mash is just about complete so gotta go.... ;)

On the weekend racked my partial pilsener, looks good smells okay so fingers crossed as its my most complex beer so far.

This comming w/end brewing a partial JS golden ale so that should be good as the missus is going to help me with that one as she's curious about all the grain ect.

Just chilling down an Aussie Lager. Don't you hate it when you add the late addition hops and realise the wort chiller isn't in the pot sterilising? So now the pot's floating around the very cold backyard pool. Probably not as effective as the chiller, but entertaining and slightly scary watching it tip about.

Just chilling down an Aussie Lager. Don't you hate it when you add the late addition hops and realise the wort chiller isn't in the pot sterilising? So now the pot's floating around the very cold backyard pool. Probably not as effective as the chiller, but entertaining and slightly scary watching it tip about.

Good opportunity to trial the no chill method :ph34r:

cheers ross

Good opportunity to trial the no chill method :ph34r:

cheers ross
What is the no-chill method? FYI Got down to 24C in 30 minutes.

I'm getting ready to bottle my Weihnachten (Christmas) Lager this weekend, then it'll be put away till the silly season.
Going by the sensational tastes i've been getting while taking Hydro readings, it's going to be a very long wait indeed. :unsure:

What is the no-chill method? FYI Got down to 24C in 30 minutes.

Whoa! You mustn't have visited for a few days while the "No-Chill" thread was running hot!

Have a search for "No Chill" method and it should bring up the thread.

In a nutshell, it's like making your own Fresh Wort Kits

Edit: No Chill Method Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back