What are you brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks SG. I thought I saw the thread titles here but never checked them out. Having a read now. I suppose I could have tried something like that. Not having a cube or a free keg though, I doubt I could have done it properly anyway.

i wouldnt leave the pot floating around in the pool. i did that with my first AG and i ended up with a nice sweet malty pool. I was tempted to crank the heater up and get it boiling to throw in the hops and have a swim in beer once it finished but i decided this was impracticle.

i think my curious dog had a small part in tipping the pot over though (hes always looking for frogs and knows they hid in pots)

Ash

Bump.

I picked up my grain from the post office today - thanks Mark!

Sunday brew #1 - American Brown, late hopped with amarillo and cascade, no bittering addition. I can't wait to taste this one.
Sunday brew #2 - House ordinary bitter, first time no-chill. There's only room for 1 in the fermenter fridge so this one goes into the jerry for a couple of weeks.

it's also my first double batch.

what's everyone else brewing this weekend?

Grain is cracked and ready to go for an early dough in.

Willamette Pale

90% marris otter
4% carapils
4% maize
2% choc

willamette to 35 IBU's, 60min,30 min, and 1 gm/L @ 15 ,10 and 0 mins

Pitching onto the US56 yeast cake from the challenger(catapult) bitter.

Most recent brew finished for drinking was my 'davey spice', a spice beer, quite obviously. I tried a stubby three weeks prior to the final date and became quite distraught because it tasted TERRIBLE. It was just spices and water. That made me leave it for 3 more weeks (I suppose that helped a lot :D ) because I was too afraid that it was a terrible batch I would have to tip down the sink.

However, the extra time let the malt flavour rise and it tastes delicious! I will change the spice balance though- take out the allspice, have more cinnamon, and maybe throw some oregano if I am feeling lucky. However, it is quite a full bodied, rich flavour beer, and I'm quite happy with that.

Coming up- brewing the Saaz Pale on sunday

Most recent brew finished for drinking was my 'davey spice', a spice beer, quite obviously. I tried a stubby three weeks prior to the final date and became quite distraught because it tasted TERRIBLE. It was just spices and water. That made me leave it for 3 more weeks (I suppose that helped a lot :D ) because I was too afraid that it was a terrible batch I would have to tip down the sink.

However, the extra time let the malt flavour rise and it tastes delicious! I will change the spice balance though- take out the allspice, have more cinnamon, and maybe throw some oregano if I am feeling lucky. However, it is quite a full bodied, rich flavour beer, and I'm quite happy with that.

Coming up- brewing the Saaz Pale on sunday
Hey P&C, In your sig

Kegged: Nothing! :blink:

Tapped: Space Honey (AG), Dave's Old (AG) :huh:

If theres nothing in the keg, how do you tap it, "Please explain"

NORM what are you doing ?? <_<

[/quote]If theres nothing in the keg, how do you tap it, "Please explain"
I cant belive you encouraged him.. :ph34r:

;) :beer:

NORM what are you doing ?? <_<
I cant belive you encouraged him.. :ph34r:

;) :beer:
Yeah I know, but should/could be another "Classic" reply
Plus if he replies, will give him 900 posts, gotta help him get to that majical 1000 posts

yeah, ...about brewing...

This weekend, with family away, I intend to make an Altbier with 100% Munich (Weyermann) and freshhhhh Spalt.

If circumstances are not conspiring against me (and why should they?) I'll also be making a Stone's Bitter clone (from Euro beers by Wheeler & Protz), onto my London III yeast cake. This should go into the keg to be served with low carbonation and at cellar temp, to remind me of the Stone's bitter that I haven't been able to buy in 500ml widget cans for at least 8 yrs now.

Next week, about midweek, I hope to finally get my act together on the Rauchbier, as I have a 3 litre Bavarian lager yeast culture chugging along on the table near me. Bad luck if i don't like the bier, as I have planned a 25 litre batch.

Beerz
Seth (who knows what to do when the family give him some brew-time) :p

I have just started heating the mash water to create a Chimay Red clone nad I'll be using the yeast from the bottle - have a three litre culture sitting in the cupboard as I type.

I have made a CR clone before from Wheeler and Protz "Brew classic European Beers at home" and used S-33 yeast. I've since sat down and did a side by side comparison with the real thing. I think the S-33 added some different flavours that didn't sit well in comparison to the original, though it was still drinkable.

And like Weizguy, I too have an empty house all to myself!

Cheers

Steve

Edit: 11:40 Just finished doughing in. Aimed for 67 deg C and got 67 deg C.

15 minutes to go on my 100% Munich APA, mash hopped with Centennial and Amarillo, next additions at the 15 min mark through to flameout. Also filtering the first of 3 kegs (with Polyclar VT :) ), and will get a WLP001 California starter going and also a WLP833 Bock. Might try and squeeze in a Maibock tomorrow, depends how I'm feeling. Might as well if it's raining again, good brewing weather.

Then have to be cleaned up and ready for Saturday Kitchen at 3pm :ph34r:

Cheers.

Then have to be cleaned up and ready for Saturday Kitchen at 3pm :ph34r:

Cheers.

:blink: What the? Good day for a bit of tv though.

I'll be pulling two lagers out of 2ndry, kegging one and putting the other into storage. Am now full, with the AG Amber Ale fermenting, I need to do some drinking to free up some space.

Cheers - Mike

Have got The Bathurst Brew ccing, a Vanilla Honey Blonde in secondary fermentor (probably move to a cube tomorrow), and picked up the ingredients for an amber ale today, which will be going on as soon as I get rid of this bloody virus!

Cheers,
Andrew

Just doughed in for a simple single infusion rest for 90min at 65C. :D
Why 90 min, you ask? Seems to work better with the Maris Otter, better conversion. Thanks for the tip, Gough.

Malt bill is 4.1kg of MO pale ale and about 50g of crystal (not sure what colour, as I left this to Keith at lhbs). I'll have to ask next time I see him.

Hop bill is 28 IBU of a mix of Northdown, Challenger and EK Goldings. 20g of EKG for the last 15 min + a Whirfloc. Then 5g EKG into cask/keg for a week before serving.

I'm hoping for a tasty Bitter which will be a daily drinker at cellar temp and only lightly gassed.

Beerz
Seth :p

*edit: spelling only

Forgot to update the post for the brew through the day. Anyway, in the fermenter before five and yeast seems to be kicking off already.

Once this beer is made I'll let you know (with the halp of Weisguy and maybe Keith the beer guy) how it goes (and also MHB etc)

Cheers
Steve

Hey Andrew any chance of letting go the recipe for the vanilla honey Blonde, I would love to give something like that a go.

Well I am all prepped for brew day tomorrow, going to brew a Northern German Pilsner.
heres the grain bill

Wayermann Pilsner 4.5kg
Wheat Malt 300 grams
Chrystal Malt 200 grams
and 20grams of chocolate malt

Hops

Saaz 30grams @ 45min
Hallertauer 25 @ 45 mins
Hallertauer 25 @ 30mins
Hallertauer 20 @ 15mins
Saaz 25 @ 15mins
and again Hallertauer 30 @ 3 minutes

will be using Wyeast 2007 Pilsner

Well thats my Sunday gone :)

Cheers Archie

Hey P&C, In your sig

Kegged: Nothing! :blink:

Tapped: Space Honey (AG), Dave's Old (AG) :huh:

Well, 'kegged' meaning 'in a keg but not attached to a tap' and 'tapped' meaning 'both kegged and attached to a tap'

In Fermenters:

Thomas Coopers Sparkling ale.
ESB Old.
Coopers Pale Ale.

In Kegs / On Tap:
Coopers Pale Ale x2.
ESB Extra Special Stout.
ESB Coogee Draught.
Morgans Canadian Lite.
SHMBO's Honey Lager.
:party:

Still just doing K+K. Will start experimenting soon.

Good Day
Milled the grain for a German pils and a "Golden Ale" lager last weekend, stood up when I finished and nearly fell over, sciatica from nowhere. Have spent the last week of my holidays laying down and sitting, relaxing but boring (but did read a lot about brewing). So brewed them today with the aid of panadol (panadol pils?). Now have 8 lagers in fermenters so better start racking, fining and bottling before I brew any more. ;)

stout with ekg & fuggles.

edit - sorry was short n sharp, was sparging at the time. in the jerry's now coolig overnight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back