What Are You Brewing III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My notes (which are rough - I've started dating things now to avoid confusion) suggest the following:

Hops:
30g amarillo (8.6% AA, 60 min.)
30g amarillo (8.6% AA, 20 min.)
20g amarillo (8.6% AA, 10 min.)
10g amarillo (aroma)

53 IBU (this figure may be a slight miscalculation because I used to boil in two pots, twice for every brew. I no longer have to do that).

OR this one (see what I mean about rough notes):

Hops: 20g amarillo (8.6% AA, 60 min.)
30g amarillo (8.6% AA, 20 min.)
20g amarillo (8.6% AA, 10 min.)
10g amarillo (aroma)

38 IBU

I also used 1 kg munich in place of some of the other base malt and it seems unnecessary. Previous yeast was 1056.

Planning to do this mid-week - Its essentially my Cream Ale recipe with the maize subbed for Rye and a bit of a hop change to let the spicy rye character shine through, also using Vienna instead of Munich cos ive run out of Munich :(

2.5kg Golden Promise
720g Flaked Maize
90g Global Vienna
90g Carapils
36g Caramunich II
180g Cane sugar
60 - 6g Sauvin 11.9%
15 - 15g US Cascade 5.8%, 15g Motueka 7.1%
0 - 12g Cascade, 12g Motueka
Dry - 8g Cascade, 8g Motueka, 8g Simcoe
US-05

Currently cold conditioning a Kiwi Pale with maize and Green Bullet + Motueka. I did it on Nottingham as more of a fake lager than a cream ale but I'll just have to try those Sauvins - I'll try anything once :lol: Any chance you'll be over here in Banjo Playin land again this year?

Currently cold conditioning a Kiwi Pale with maize and Green Bullet + Motueka. I did it on Nottingham as more of a fake lager than a cream ale but I'll just have to try those Sauvins - I'll try anything once :lol: Any chance you'll be over here in Banjo Playin land again this year?

You definately gotta give the sauvin a shot, its a love it or hate it hop tho IMO, depends on what youre into I guess, you could allways buy a bottle of Knappstein Reserve Lager which will give you an idea!!

Motueka's great too, quite orangey and spicy at the same time!!

And sadly no I wont be over this year, but on the flip side I will be going to California, Vegas, Florida, Aruba, Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico B) Oh yeah, and im getting married in 11 days :unsure: lol

Bribie's Fake Lager -

4kg Joe White Export Pilsner
0.5kg Rice
0.5kg Cane Sugar

90 min mash at 65 degrees
75 min boil

15g Pride Of Ringwood (FWH)
15g B-Saaz 10 min

~20 IBU
~5 EBC

US-05 17 degrees

Smells and tastes great from keg to no chill cube. Cant wait.

Motueka is very nice, and have got it ordered.

In vegas?

That would have been cheaper no doubt, and easier <_<

No, getting married in a reserve in Auckland then reception at some flash joint right on the beach, all I know is I will have a couple of cases of Epic there to drink :rolleyes: lol

Congrats Rev!

well after a 2 month hiatus from brewing, I'm back on the wagon, or off the wagon...can't work it out. Starting simple with an APA

7Kg Trad Ale
1 Kg Carared
1Kg Munich II
500g Rye

Centennial/Amarillo/Cascade for the hops to 34 IBU

Congrats Rev!
well after a 2 month hiatus from brewing, I'm back on the wagon, or off the wagon...can't work it out. Starting simple with an APA
7Kg Trad Ale
1 Kg Carared
1Kg Munich II
500g Rye
Centennial/Amarillo/Cascade for the hops to 34 IBU

Great to hear you are back in town!

Ive just recieved 1kg of CARARYE. Ive got a St. Rogue Red Ale clone lined up and will sub the dark crystal addition out for the cararye. :beerbang:

I should have a decent St. Rogue Rye Ale/St. Rye Red Ale. on my hands! ;)

Great to hear you are back in town!

Ive just recieved 1kg of CARARYE. Ive got a St. Rogue Red Ale clone lined up and will sub the dark crystal addition out for the cararye. :beerbang:

Sounds brilliant mate. Have to bring some to the next AA meeting...

Congrats Rev!

well after a 2 month hiatus from brewing, I'm back on the wagon, or off the wagon...can't work it out.
Dave you should have come over and grabbed your chinese hops and brewed with them :ph34r:

Ive got a St. Rogue Red Ale clone lined up and will sub the dark crystal addition out for the cararye. :beerbang:

umm well wheres the grain bill mate, share time.
im going to miss the next AA meeting as im on a course. youll need to leave a sample with Dave for me.

umm well wheres the grain bill mate, share time.
im going to miss the next AA meeting as im on a course. youll need to leave a sample with Dave for me.

Well i tweaked the recipe it a little to accomodate my hops (i dont have chinook atm and dont want to invest considering i have several KG of other US varieties on hand! ;))

Frm memory (i dont have my beersmith recipe on hand) it was:

OG 1.052
IBU: 44

69% Pale Malt
10% Munich
7% JW Caramalt
7% JW Med Crystal
7% Weyermann Cararye

30 IBU Magnum @ FWH
14 IBU Centennial @ 20 min
1.7g/l or 40g/23L Centennial Flameout
40g Centennial dry hopped for 5 days.
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Mash @ 65deg for 60 mins @ 2.8 L:G ratio

:icon_drool2:

I'll be brewing it tonight or on Friday. Yes, thats 21% of crystal malts. Got to love those crazy yanks. hehehe!

oh yeah that sounds good.

ive got all of that exept cararye. ill just use plain rye, jack up the med crystal. and ive got chinook.

actually it sounds a lot like my king brown/amber ale

edit: i think this was the recipe (or at least similar)
38L
7.8kg pale
0.6kg caraaaroma
0.5kg munich 1
0.2kg crystal
30g nugget @ 60min FWH
26g cascade @ 60min fwh
30g nugget @15min
26g amrillo @ 15min
13g cascade @ 5min
15g nugget @ 0
13g cascade @ )
13g amrillo @ 0
5g Amarillo (Dry Hop 5 days
5g Cascade Dry Hop 5 day-
25g nugget Dry Hop 5 days
3/4 tsp epsom salt
3tsp gypsum

Dave you should have come over and grabbed your chinese hops and brewed with them :ph34r:
No.
Because if he's had a few months off he might need time to get his brewing skills back up to the necessary levels to use these hops ;)

No.
Because if he's had a few months off he might need time to get his brewing skills back up to the necessary levels to use these hops ;)
i figured it wouldnt matter since his brewing skills may be suffering he could blame it on the hops and no one would question him! :lol:

i figured it wouldnt matter since his brewing skills may be suffering he could blame it on the hops and no one would question him! :lol:
ha, you laugh, but it's pretty close to the mark. Issues everywhere on this brew, pump blockage, stuck sparge, target temp off by a few degs...it's all happening. So how good are those hops? CBF reading all the trash talking while I was away, and just decided I'll give them a blind go once I get back.

Sorry back on topic.

ha, you laugh, but it's pretty close to the mark. Issues everywhere on this brew, pump blockage, stuck sparge, target temp off by a few degs...it's all happening. So how good are those hops? CBF reading all the trash talking while I was away, and just decided I'll give them a blind go once I get back.

Sorry back on topic.

IMO, they are ok. Nothing super special and they all lack in the aroma department. I havn't had anything offensive from them. The MP Pale ale i just made could have been better but unfortunatly its due to me pitching the yeast the night before we had a 40 degree day. needless to say it has some slightly ugly HB-eque yeastiness too it im sure its accountable during the growth period.. :( However it drinks well enough for myself and my housemate to still knock it off. ;) I could bring you some to try at the next AA meeting but i really dont like showing off faults. Maybe we can use it to showcase fault finding?!?

Well ive just doughed in on the St. Rye Red Ale (Rogue - St. rogue Red clone w/cararye as the dark crystal)

Attached is the real recipe (my figures where close though). Interesingly the cararye doesn't taste anything like a crystal malt. i get deep cocoa, some mild dark fruit and biscuity notes from it. observing the colours of the choc rye and cararye they are different (on the craftbrewer website) and mine seems to match the cararye colour. Maybe Ross or anyone else can chime in with some info if the cararye is supposed to taste like crystal malt?

Should be an interesting amber ale nonetheless! :icon_cheers:

St.Rye Red Ale
American Amber Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 19/01/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 70.2 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
0.40 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
0.40 kg Cararye (Weyermann) (66.2 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
0.40 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
20.00 gm Magnum [12.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 30.3 IBU
20.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (20 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
40.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
50.00 gm Centennial [8.70%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 43.7 IBU
Est Color: 12.0 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 16.00 L of water at 70.8 C 65.0 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 87.5 C 73.0 C 10 min

Doing my very first Red of the vaguely Irish persuasion and first usage of Caraaroma, so looking for malt driven and hops just in the background as they are in Kilkenny etc.

23L

4000 TF Halcyon
250 Caraaroma
150 Carared
250 Semolina

66 degrees 90 mins
500 Sugaz in fermenter

30g Admiral 90 mins
20g EKG 10 mins

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

4* I notice the use of the Calcium Chloride and Gypsum in your recipe. For an Irish Ale I was under the impression that Dublin water was very soft, hence the preeminence of Stouts, but would that also apply to Irish Ales in general? (Smithwicks etc) or do they Burtonise their water first I wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back