What Are You Brewing III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick and dirty APA.

2.5 kg LDME
500g dex
200g carapils
200g dark crystal (long story, I know it doesn't necessarily belong)
20g Magnum @ 60
18g Pearle @ 30
10g each Galaxy and Simcoe @ 10
15g each Galaxy and Simcoe @ flameout
Will dry hop with more galaxy and simcoe depending on how the samples are travelling towards the end of primary.
US-05

Just mashed in Saison at 63oC, want it dry. Will also add some glucose to the boil. What a beautiful morning. Mainly brewing Belgians so I can get away with low to mid 20's fermenting temps.

Comrade,
Good to see you wetting some malt at home.

Mashed 2nd beer for 2010 this morning - an APA with Centennial & Simcoe............. to replace the Amarillo APA that just blew out during clean up :)

Weissbier is carbing up....looks promising for next club meet.

Pete

Sadly the beer fridge is currently a saison free zone :( .
Suffered a traffic grid lock getting the ingredients from Ross's.
Found a few ants in the mash tun when assembling the brew rig and decided to flush out the all thread.
Eeeeck, thousands of the buggers and hundreds of eggs!
That would have been an interesting addition to a saison :)

First Yorkshire bitter of 2010 - Pre World War I style

Calcium Carbonate in the mash, Calcium Chloride.

5000 Maris Otter
250 Polenta
300 Barrett Burston Caramalt

67 degrees 90 mins

[I've chickened out of the Caraaroma for this one and will use that for an Irish Red / amber style.]

300 white sugar in kettle

2 plugs UK Fuggles and 20g Northdown 60 mins
20g EKG 10 mins
1 plug Styrian Goldings towards the end of primary, in giant tea ball.

Wort caramelisation with 1L of wort.

Proculture Wood Ale (1469)

Edit: <waxes lyrical>
You know when you stop and think, it's frign miraculous that I can produce an authentic Yorkshire bitter from malts ex Thomas Fawcett at Castleford, Hops from the gardens of Kent and Herefordshire, not to mention the hop yards of Slovenia Nestling in the shadows of the Eastern Alps, seeded with yeast derived from the very stone squares of my ancestors - All whilst brewing on Bribie Island. Twenty years ago, what I'm doing now would have been science fiction.

Thanks to all who have made it possible, especially companies such as CraftBrewer who have enabled our craft to progress to what it is today. Imagine what we will be doing in ten years time.
<end waxing>

recreating TED ? :mellow:

Tomorrow...

Rye Ale attempt #1

3000 BB Pilsner Galaxy
900 Rye Malt
900 Dark Wheat Malt
200 Carared

90 min mash @ 65 degrees.

18g Superpride (60min)
15g Hallertau (15min)
15g Hallertau (5min)
30g Czech Saaz (0min) - at flameout

75min boil

US05 yeast

First Yorkshire bitter of 2010 - Pre World War I style
<snip>
Some top work there Bribie, I've been wondering about a cup or two of maize in this sort of Landlord-esque thing instead of/ in addition to the sugaz. I've only used it in the Munich Helles before now.

That's a lot of bittering IBUs though, what's the AA% of your Fuggles and Northdown? 5.6 and 8.1 respectively? At 60 together I make those about 40IBUs?

I used to think 3L caramelised was right but now I realaise that's just too much, particularly with GP and maybe MO too, with that much my 90 minute boils might've overdone it as well, so 1L would be OK to give the caramel a shove.

Oh, and maybe try it with Bairds stuff from Arbroath even! Dunno if their new plant (pneumatic) is up and running yet, so maybe it is all from south of the border. I think Ross only deals in sacks of Bairds base malts though, so maybe sign up to a bulk buy if you want to try them, I got some Perle/ Pale Ale last time, it is quite OK for mine.

I don't think you'd get much of a TED out of it though, 67 would be too high perhaps? Not to mention the dry hops, stonefruit etc... :D

My 2c... I'm doing my usual tomorrow, similar to this but with 100% Perle and a decoction.

Say, you catch that movie Billy Elliot last night on channel dix? Would've stirred the blood of any northerner I'd have thought, no naff scenes of the Angel or anything... :p

Rde, the plugs are only about 12g each, so the bittering hops come to 45g roughly. As I don't use software I have been doing a twenty twenty twenty thing with my Yorkies, with a twenty and a twenty for bittering and the other twenty at ten minutes - example:

20 Challenger
20 Northdown
20 Styrians

20 Fuggles
20 EKG
20 Styrians

Some more bitter, some less bitter. So over time I get a feel for what each hop does, and record the results in my red book - a bit like a nice bike ride round the UK staying at a different Youth Hostel each night and heading out to see what the local pint is on tap :icon_cheers:

You may remember that the 1768 you sent me got mixed up with a Wyeast Whitbread and turned into a yeast monster, well it is producing great beers. I'm keeping it going. Also I have never seen Billy Elliott believe it or not, I've ordered it through Quickflix :p

Edit: and the Angel is a good reason for a tropical cyclone to hit Gateshead
angel.jpeg

Yep, I can relate perfectly Bribie- often my recipes revolve around whole plugs and I don't make a habit of weighing them individually. I had a thirty, thirty, thirty Landlord thing going for a while, so it was two plugs at each addition. I measured a few and some were closer to 15g which was fitting in with a pack of six being 90g like the pellets. I'll have to weigh a few more now, you've got me wondering if I'm dudding myself! Mind you, I reckon there's been a bit of a bitterness tour of hostels too, but I'd been attributing that to high- SG boils with lower utilisation efficiency, being a trouble- making 19L stockpot BIABer an' all! ;)

Sounds like that yeast blend is working out well too, the element of chance should never be underestimated!

I'll bet the Angel is wishing for a cyclone right now, probably freezing her (?) tits off at the moment I'd have thought!

:icon_cheers:
Rde, the plugs are only about 12g each, so the bittering hops come to 45g roughly. As I don't use software I have been doing a twenty twenty twenty thing with my Yorkies, with a twenty and a twenty for bittering and the other twenty at ten minutes - example:

20 Challenger
20 Northdown
20 Styrians

20 Fuggles
20 EKG
20 Styrians

Some more bitter, some less bitter. So over time I get a feel for what each hop does, and record the results in my red book - a bit like a nice bike ride round the UK staying at a different Youth Hostel each night and heading out to see what the local pint is on tap :icon_cheers:

You may remember that the 1768 you sent me got mixed up with a Wyeast Whitbread and turned into a yeast monster, well it is producing great beers. I'm keeping it going. Also I have never seen Billy Elliott believe it or not, I've ordered it through Quickflix :p

Edit: and the Angel is a good reason for a tropical cyclone to hit Gateshead
View attachment 34529

Got the Shootin' Saison down yesterday and will be pitching the yeast in a few minutes. After I mash in the 50/50% house hefe.

Shootin Saison
Saison

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 22.89 L Asst Brewer: catlean
Boil Time: 75 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston)
1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)
0.2 kg Munich 1
26.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.0 IBU
14.00 gm Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
14.00 gm Tettnang [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.24 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min)
7gm coriander seeds (crushed) 5min
peel of a small/medium lemon 5min

single mash infusion 65 C
yeast 3711.

(Tet additions are plugs.)

there you go Chap Chap.

Put this own last night... second attempt at it. First attempt was 1st AG. Run out of samples mid week. Keen to have more on offer. Goes down well with many people. Cubed 17L ready for 7 litres of top up, when pitching on a yeast cake of WY1332 Northwest Ale. All went well without a problem.

Recipe: LFPA
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain BIAB
Taste: (.)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 29.67 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.80 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.86 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 17.86 %
0.40 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.40 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
5.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
40.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.8 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
50.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

60 min mash at 66
10 min Mash out at 76

I spotted the Redback clone thread this week and though that I should have a go at an ag version of the beer.
If it turns out OK, I'll have another house beer. Maybe.
Simple mash this time, and we'll see if it needs a ferulic acid rest.

I found some POR (and Saaz plugs) in my freezer, gifted from Brent, when I bought the Borret Mill.

Busy day here. Mowing the acreage and making a weizen. The combination is necessary to keep the force in balance.

Redback clone mkII - all-grain recipe
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 09-01-10
Style: Weizen/Weissbier Brewer: Seth
Batch Size: 32.00 L Assistant Brewer: n/a
Boil Volume: 43.01 L Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 % Equipment: Seth - 50 litre Esky and 80 litre kettle

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.75 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 50.0 %
2.75 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 50.0 %
24.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00%] (60 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
15.00 gm Saaz [2.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3638) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.007 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 EBC (3.9-15.8 EBC)
Bitterness: 18.8 IBU (17 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.7 % (4.3-5.6 %)
Actual Calories: 416 cal/l

Mash Profile Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body Mash Tun Weight: 7.00 kg
Mash Grain Weight: 5.50 kg
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Sparge Water: 22.92 L

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Saccharification Add 18.00 L of water at 73.7 C 65.0C
Mash Out Add 9.00 L of water at 98.5 C 75.6 C 10 min

Today im putting down my Jungle Wheat beer. Taken inspiration from Archipelago Brewerys Samui Wheat in Singapore. http://www.archipelagobrewery.com/mainpage.html

2 Knotted Pandan Leaves, 30g lime peel juice of 5 limes and 20g of lemongrass ( Lemongrass is my twist) :beerbang:

Was such an awesome quaffer, hope this turns out as expected!

Jungle Wit
Witbier

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/01/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
3.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 57.1 %
2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.1 %
0.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
25.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 16.8 IBU
2.00 items Pandan Leaf (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
5.00 items Lime Juice (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
7.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
20.00 gm Lemongrass (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
30.00 gm Lime Zest (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 16.8 IBU
Est Color: 3.8 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash In Add 14.70 L of water at 73.1 C 67.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 10.50 L of water at 82.5 C 73.0 C 10 min

Notes
2g cacl to mash
5g cacl to boil

That looks interesting 4*, let us know how it goes.

Edit: they use Calamansi hey? I've got a tree out front :) , but I usually use the fruit for medicinal purposes in G&Ts and Rhum.

Looks great Winkle... I think this will be my next brew after this today

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.10 kg Treacle [Boil for 15 min] Extract 0.90 %
9.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 85.97 %
0.70 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 6.33 %
0.30 kg Aromatic Malt (51.2 EBC) Grain 2.71 %
0.10 kg Biscuit Malt (45.3 EBC) Grain 0.90 %
100.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (90 min) Hops 39.7 IBU
60.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (20 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
42.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 3 daysHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
25.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.35 kg Invert Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 3.17 %
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.60 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Protein Rest Add 31.81 L of water at 53.5 C 50.0 C
75 min Saccharification Heat to 65.0 C over 15 min 65.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

Way to go ChapChap, looks pretty full on! B)

Today I'm doing my first Carol (Caramelised Landlord) for the year: 90%g GP, 10% Aromatic, 67C, caramelise 1.5L, 20IBUs of Challenger for bittering, 10IBUs EKG flavour and 2g/L Styrian at FO, splash of sugaz, OG 1.048, all processed via the 1469 method. Not decocting this time, just the Aromatic and caramel- they seem to work fairly well together.

Doing a basic SMASH this evening once the temp drops a bit. Thermomenter is telling me 36C under the verandah atm!

Using the chinese saaz, so will see how the amounts go during the boil and might increase the amout I dry hop with into the cube.

5kg Powells pilsner malt (3.5 ebc)
50g Chinese Saaz @ 60min
30g Chinese Saaz @ 30min
15g Chinese Saaz @ 15min
Dry hop 15g Chinese Saaz into cube which will sit in storage for 2 weeks before ferementing.

Intention of this beer is to test the hops and if I'm lucky, get a nice easy session beer.

That looks interesting 4*, let us know how it goes.
Edit: they use Calamansi hey? I've got a tree out front :) , but I usually use the fruit for medicinal purposes in G&Ts and Rhum.

I wish i could get calamansi limes, had to go the old tahitian lime. :( chewing on pandan leaf is tannic and bitter, you spit out the leaf and all you end up with is a beautiful nutty rice/malty flavour on the palate! It's awesome! Hopefully its a show stopper and doesnt end up like lemon/lime dishwashing liquid! :p

Using the chinese saaz, so will see how the amounts go during the boil and might increase the amout I dry hop with into the cube.

Be interesting to see how this goes.

Methinks it's a bit light on for hops in the aroma stage.

Brewing a Std Bitter.

20 Litres
3.8kg JW Ale
200gm Dark Crystal
100gm Cara Sp I

60 - Fuggles to 20ibu
20 - EKG to 10IBU
FO - 20gm EKG

Not sure on the yeast yet.

Be interesting to see how this goes.

Methinks it's a bit light on for hops in the aroma stage.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking also - the cascade were not all that aromatic outta the bag when I used them the other day so I upped the amounts. Will probably have to do the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back