What Are You Brewing III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be doing this on my RDO on monday.

060513 House Lager- Victoria not so Bitter
Australian Premium Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 66.0
Total Grain (kg): 12.600
Total Hops (g): 30.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.03 %
Colour (SRM): 2.9 (EBC): 5.7
Bitterness (IBU): 25.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 82
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
10.000 kg Pilsner (79.37%)
2.000 kg Wheat Malt (15.87%)
0.600 kg Cane Sugar (4.76%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Victoria Pellet (18% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 63°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with

Just mashed in another 11 hour overnight mash, ready for sparge and boil at 8am.

5000g Wey Pale Malt
1000g Wey Munich I
300g Wey Pale Wheat
200g TF Crystal
200g Ding Biscuit

Not quite sure what to do with it though.

Will add some sort of hop product to about 10 or 20 IBU and then either cube as is for a single AIPA a la Argonaise, or dilute down to 40 or even better 60L before cubing for a few low alc APAs, again a al Argonaise.

Florian,

could you tell us more about your overnight mash, reasons, advantages, disadvantages - all thatsort of thing?

Goomba (former Wavell Heights resident)

Brewed this yesterday whilst slurping down a few Urquell's
Will pitch Thursday(birthday), hence the name. Also a refined version of beer made for my sons 18th Birthday.

Birthday Lager 2013
Original Gravity (OG): 1.038 (°P): 9.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 3.73 %
Colour (SRM): 3.1 (EBC): 6.2
Bitterness (IBU): 31.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

74.75% Pilsner
16.16% Vienna
6.06% Carapils (Dextrine)
3.03% Munich I

0.9 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Northern Brewer (9.6% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (4.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 63°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 75 Minutes

Fermented at 10°C with WLP940 - Mexican Lager

Double brewday: dark mild and bumping my pale mild up a notch to enter best bitter territory

More mild manticle!? Num num !

I'm doing a special bitter.

94.1% MO
3.5% Simpsons med x
2.5% biscuit

First gold @ 30
Styrian @ 10
Styrian @ 5

Burton ale

30 IBU

Finished this brew at an ungodly hour last night after a slow afternoon grinding rust off the front fence:

Emergency IPA (English IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (°P): 14.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.89 %
Colour (SRM): 9.2 (EBC): 18.1
Bitterness (IBU): 47.6 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

97.35% Maris Otter Malt
2.65% Crystal 90

1 g/L First Gold (7.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Fuggles (5% Alpha) @ 25 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Styrian Golding (4.1% Alpha) @ 25 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (5.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Fuggles (5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Styrian Golding (4.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Fuggles (5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Styrian Golding (4.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1187 - Ringwood Ale

Notes: into cube at 1.065 wow

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Was aiming for 1.060 and got 1.065 - good thing I had a hefty starter ready to go!

How do you find the ring wood mate?. Tempted to give it a go but heard its a bit temperamental

I had a bit of a dilemma and needed to get rid of a heap of grain , fast. So yesterday I made an IPA and an English bitter and tonight Im knocking out a pale ale of some description. And tomorrow....maybe a hoppy Pilsner.
Got some mosaic and simcoe off Yob and Im keen to try that tonight.

Cheers mate!

I'm working my way up to a big Baltic Porter (9% after bottle dex), via a 5.8% Marzen, followed by a 6.5% Dunkel, all thanks to 833. That's what to do with lager yeast! I'm excited, but no point holding my breath. Even the Marzen will wait until summer.

Cascade and Galaxy APA (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.06 %
Colour (SRM): 5.2 (EBC): 10.3
Bitterness (IBU): 33.2 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

91.89% Pale Ale Malt
5.41% Cane Sugar
2.7% Victory

0.9 g/L Cascade (6.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

55C:10, 63C:15, 67C:45. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I'm doing an APA as well nick

96.7% MO
3.3% Simpsons medium xtal

Cascade FWH
Hallertau 60
Cascade and Hallertau @ 5

36 IBU

US05

Belgian pale mild

86.8% pilz/MO blend
7% d2 syrup
4.2% biscuit
2% spec b

Hallertau 60

14 IBU

My last bit of base malts so I thought I'd combine m love of mild with my new appreciation of Belgian ales.

Hmm ok, I stumbled upon 20kg of best Munich malt, so maybe I'm not out of base malt after all. I might switch the d2 from the mild with some invert syrup I made a while ago, and use it in a Munich porter. Double brew day hopefully.

Munich porter

84% best Munich
5% pale choc
4.2% d2
3.4% medium xtal
3.4% black malt

Willamette 60,30,5

1098 or burton ale

44 IBU

Maibock

66% pils
33% Munich II
Maby 1% Carafa or special B for a touch more colour.

Bitter with NB and / or Tettanager.

Using 2001 from my Pilsner.

23 IBU

About 7%.

This ones going straight to the bottles..

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Florian,

could you tell us more about your overnight mash, reasons, advantages, disadvantages - all thatsort of thing?

Goomba (former Wavell Heights resident)
No Probs ex-neighbour.

reason: Wake up on brew day ready to sparge and boil. On an extended Pilsner mash that's about 2-3 hours saved right there (including all ramp up times), meaning that when I do another batch after that I finish way earlier.

advantage: Depending on when I set up and how long I intend to sleep, I can set the mash schedule accordingly. So if I set up early, 4 hours at room temp, then the 'normal mash steps' (53, 61, 63, 72 or whatever), then another extended mash out for 4 hours max. Means I fill the BM with water, dump the grain in, go to bed, watch TV or whatever, no waiting for liquor to reach strike temp.
Set up an 8L urn on a timer with an STC 1000 to 85 degrees, and next morning when I wake up to the beep beep beep I can walk down in 'pyjamas', lift the malt pipe, quickly sparge with the water that's ready, start the boil and prepare breakfast.
So the overnight mash is simply a convenience factor for me, no harm in extending those non crucial mash steps.

Disadvantage: None that I can think of, apart from the initial outlay for the automation, but that was 2.5 years ago so it doesn't bother me.

Florian said:
No Probs ex-neighbour.

reason: Wake up on brew day ready to sparge and boil. On an extended Pilsner mash that's about 2-3 hours saved right there (including all ramp up times), meaning that when I do another batch after that I finish way earlier.

advantage: Depending on when I set up and how long I intend to sleep, I can set the mash schedule accordingly. So if I set up early, 4 hours at room temp, then the 'normal mash steps' (53, 61, 63, 72 or whatever), then another extended mash out for 4 hours max. Means I fill the BM with water, dump the grain in, go to bed, watch TV or whatever, no waiting for liquor to reach strike temp.
Set up an 8L urn on a timer with an STC 1000 to 85 degrees, and next morning when I wake up to the beep beep beep I can walk down in 'pyjamas', lift the malt pipe, quickly sparge with the water that's ready, start the boil and prepare breakfast.
So the overnight mash is simply a convenience factor for me, no harm in extending those non crucial mash steps.

Disadvantage: None that I can think of, apart from the initial outlay for the automation, but that was 2.5 years ago so it doesn't bother me.

Thanks Florian, so the answer is the BM, rather than it being something good for a single infusion mash. That starts to make more sense. I wonder if it would be possible with single infusion. I know that Pils requires a step mash (well, not 'requires', but it is certainly best practice), but I wonder if it's possible for an ale (need to stock up).

I've been a cold ex-neighbour, but it's pretty nice the last couple of days, 15 degree nights, 18 degree days.

And perfect lager brewing weather.

Florian said:
No Probs ex-neighbour.

I am about to do my 3rd BM brew, and am totally going to try this. You don't find any loss of body doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back