What Are You Brewing III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kept for long term storage, ha...good luck - you'll be brewing it again and again cuz it seems that the keg almost empties itself... mine does anyway.

Just a suggestion, key the Rye back to about 40% and replace the balance with pils/ale malt. chuck the cara and crystal you have and sub that with Carared and Cara (either amber or aroma) and you've got my house IPA (at 7% and 70 IBU though)

Recipe sounds good Maple but im not really fond of caraaroma over 2%. Caraaroma is the uber dark one and caraamber is one up from carared. Caramalt and carared are on the same Lov range but slightly different in taste (caramalt is sugary). The idea was to bump the rye so it has time to mellow and mingle with the hops. Maybe keg it and bottle 1/2 from the keg and store it away for tasters every 3 months or so. I'd say the 1/2 keg will be gone by three months wont it?! :lol:

Got this mashing atm -

2kg JW Export Pilsner
2kg JW traditional Ale
0.5kg Rice Solids
0.25kg Cane Sugar (5min end of boil)

trying to think what hops would suit this. I have -

EKG
Fuggles
POR
B-Saaz (flowers)
Motueka (B-Saaz)
Nelson Sauvin
Liberty
Northern Brewer
Amarillo

Got this mashing atm -

2kg JW Export Pilsner
2kg JW traditional Ale
0.5kg Rice Solids
0.25kg Cane Sugar (5min end of boil)

trying to think what hops would suit this. I have -

EKG
Fuggles
POR
B-Saaz (flowers)
Motueka (B-Saaz)
Nelson Sauvin
Liberty
Northern Brewer
Amarillo
Bitter with POR and finish with a nice flavour and aroma dose of B-Saaz

Or else bitter with POR and finish with combo of BSaaz and NS

Loads of options but those are two that spring to mind as what I would do...

Exactly what I ended up doing -

15.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.10 %] (75 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 18.7 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz [8.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
5.00 gm Saaz [8.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
5.00 gm Saaz [8.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1.7 LME extra light
1.7 LME light

Tas Cascade 20g @ 60
Tas Cascade 15g @ 15
Tas Cascade 15g @ 5
Tas Cascade 20g @ 0

I dunno how this is going to work out. Very light in colour with very little body. It'll be interesting. I made a mess with the 5 minute addition. It erupted like a volcano.

My first IPA on Sat:

3Kg BB Ale
2Kg Maris Otter
.5kg CaraMunich
.5kg Munich 1

20g PoR @ 60min

15g Fuggles @ 30min
15g EKG @ 30min
15g Styrian @ 30min

15g Fuggles @ 15min
15g EKG @ 15min
15g Styrian @ 15min

30g EKG @ 0min
15g Styrian @ 0min

OG: 1.063
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.4%
IBU: 47

Cheers - Mike

Can speak from experience - Kleiny's Mongoose is very tasty.

Just mashed in my next version of my all amarillo American Brown. Still trying to nut this one out - it was the first AG I ever made but due to accidents I made it over bitter, then blended it with an underhopped wort. It was spot on in terms of bitterness, flavour and sweetness for me but I've never been able to replicate it. I think the last couple have overdone the amarillo. Anyway today's version is:

All Amarillo Brown

Size: 23 liters
Color: 37 HCU (~18 SRM)
Bitterness: 38 IBU
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 6.2% v/v (4.9% w/w)
Grain: 6kg JW Pilsner (would normally do 50:50 pils:ale but I've run out of ale)
250g Belgian biscuit
100g JW medium Crystal
100g JW Dark Crystal
150g JW chocolate

Mash: 60 minutes
70% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes
SG 1.046
Boil Size: 30 liters
Hops: 20g Amarillo (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
25g Amarillo (8.5% AA, 20 min.)
10g Amarillo (8.5% AA, 10 min.)

WY1272

Racked to secondary into a fermenter with a leaky tap. Came out to the laundry to find 1 litre of sedimenty beer left. Kind of lucky in some ways that it was in a sink but I wasn't particularly appreciative of that at the time. Super, super annoying.

Kiwi Blonde -

88% JW Trad Ale
8% Carahell
4% Melanoidin
6g Gypsum

Motueka NZ (B-Saaz) FWH
Motueka NZ (B-Saaz)@ 15
Motueka NZ (B-Saaz) @ 5
22 IBU's

Mash 66
US-05 @18

Its a nice 4% lawnmower beer.

Hey, Under, I missed that post, as I pm'd you Ive done something very similar indeed but with 500g of Polenta in the mash and 500 of sugar in the fermenter to give more like a 5.2 % . Also I used Nottingham - first time in ages - and you wouldnt know it's not a lager. Getting hammered on it right now :icon_cheers:

Hey, Under, I missed that post, as I pm'd you Ive done something very similar indeed but with 500g of Polenta in the mash and 500 of sugar in the fermenter to give more like a 5.2 % . Also I used Nottingham - first time in ages - and you wouldnt know it's not a lager. Getting hammered on it right now :icon_cheers:

Heh. Ive done 3 brews in 2 days. Im screwed.

That there is a nice drop. Easy to drink. Nottingham sounds nice insted of S-05.

Anyways, let you know how these brews I cubed turn out.

Here's my first post in the mighty WAYB III :)

GF Hersbrucker Ale:

2.75 Kg Sorghum Syrup
500g Honey
250g Dextrose

10g Aussie Super Pride for 60 mins
20g Southern Hersbrucker for 30 mins
20g Southern Hersbrucker for 1 minute

Whirlfloc for 15 mins

S-04.

OG: 1041
Should get to about 1012 for FG.

I'd attempted to roast some buckwheat to add some colour by steeping pre boil, but I ended up with a solid chunk of carbon, and a smoked out house, so I stuck that in the compost instead.

I do ~12L boils, chill in the laundry sink full of ice, set up a whrilpool and leave for 30 minutes, siphon to fermenter, top up with fridge cold water to 22L, which gets me to about 22C ready for pitching :)

I've previously made a super bitter lager, which is slowly getting better, I'm either becoming accustomed to hoppiness or, it's aging! And a dark(er) ale where my buckwheat roasting succeeded, same as above replacing hersbrucker with Kent Goldings, and steeping grains at 80C for 30 minutes.

A bit of some mid week brewing. So tonight I'm trying another Ginger beer but this time with a few changes.

Home Grown South Perth Honey x 1kg
Light Malt 1kg
Dextrose 0.5kg
Maltodextrin 0.5kg
Ginger x 1kg
Lemons x 2
Limes x 2
Chilli x 1
Generic LHBS yeast "A robust ale yeast able to tolerate high alcohol conditions (up to 11.5% v/v). Used to produce a wide range of beer styles including Belgian wheat and Trappist beers. Available in 11g sachets. A good general purpose yeast that we use in all our beer kits."

Looking forward to this one. It's all on the boil now. :D

Here's my first post in the mighty WAYB III :)

GF Hersbrucker Ale:

2.75 Kg Sorghum Syrup
500g Honey
250g Dextrose

10g Aussie Super Pride for 60 mins
20g Southern Hersbrucker for 30 mins
20g Southern Hersbrucker for 1 minute

Whirlfloc for 15 mins

S-04.

OG: 1041
Should get to about 1012 for FG.

I'd attempted to roast some buckwheat to add some colour by steeping pre boil, but I ended up with a solid chunk of carbon, and a smoked out house, so I stuck that in the compost instead.

I do ~12L boils, chill in the laundry sink full of ice, set up a whrilpool and leave for 30 minutes, siphon to fermenter, top up with fridge cold water to 22L, which gets me to about 22C ready for pitching :)

I've previously made a super bitter lager, which is slowly getting better, I'm either becoming accustomed to hoppiness or, it's aging! And a dark(er) ale where my buckwheat roasting succeeded, same as above replacing hersbrucker with Kent Goldings, and steeping grains at 80C for 30 minutes.

What is "Southern Hersbrucker" ? Is that Hallertauer Hersbrucker?

What is "Southern Hersbrucker" ? Is that Hallertauer Hersbrucker?

I think it's Hersbrucker grown in Tassie. I'm led to beleive that it's the hops used in Cascade premium lager, which was my favorite beer before I got diagnosed coeliac.

Racked to secondary into a fermenter with a leaky tap. Came out to the laundry to find 1 litre of sedimenty beer left. Kind of lucky in some ways that it was in a sink but I wasn't particularly appreciative of that at the time. Super, super annoying.
Condolences for your loss. Looked to be a pretty good build up, I've enjoyed all of you that beers I've tried....well 'nuff said.

Moment of silence observed

Appreciated. I've had a little run of bad luck - a few infections over summer and now this one. Fortunately I've been brewing enough that there's been some crackers in amongst those but it's kind of heartbreaking when a brew you've nurtured goes literally down the drain..

My first IPA on Sat:

3Kg BB Ale
2Kg Maris Otter
.5kg CaraMunich
.5kg Munich 1

20g PoR @ 60min

15g Fuggles @ 30min
15g EKG @ 30min
15g Styrian @ 30min

15g Fuggles @ 15min
15g EKG @ 15min
15g Styrian @ 15min

30g EKG @ 0min
15g Styrian @ 0min

OG: 1.063
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.4%
IBU: 47

Cheers - Mike

My 2 c on this.

IBU is too low, up it to 55-60. Your OG will balance it.

English yeast?

I thought you guys were taking the micky about the IBU but realised it was an IPA :rolleyes:

I figure most of you are all addicted to ultra hopped beers.

Put this one down last night.

Arcadia Pale Ale (10A. American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.058
Colour (SRM): 7.4
Bitterness (IBU): 28.1

9.46% Aromatic Malt
2.54% Carared
87% Pale Ale Malt
1% Wheat Malt

0.8 g/l Fuggles (4.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/l Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/l Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/l Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/l Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67*C for 100 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18*c with pacman slurry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back