What are you brewing II ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, with a name like Sunshine brewer of course we were worried. :lol:

We're just concerned because we care. :p

A Nelson Pils today for me - just doughed in.

5.5kg BB Galaxy
18g Nelson Sauvin @ 80mins
15g Nelson Sauvin @ flamout

S-189 slurry from my current batch

Just a single infusion @ 64C - was going to decoct but don't have the patience today!

Cheers
How'd you go with your Monster? I just finished my first brew with it also, managed the estimated 80% efficiency so i'm damn happy!

Yeah looks like I was around the 80% mark as well - but I do need an accurate Hydrometer - Mine's not so good! Well the computer wouldn't lie would it?????

Sweet. Will I be tasting that beer next BABBs meeting?

lol, depends if it's ready or not!

Maybe the one after - does need to Lager!!

Cheers

Today I start something I have been wanting to do for some time now, a Perpetual Flanders Red Barrel Program. :lol:
This brew will eventually go into a 50L barrel along with a second one. Each year half of the barrel will be emptied into a keg or bottles and filled back up with a new batch. Guess I won't know the results for another 2 years.

Where abouts are you storing the barrel? I'd love to get something like this happening, but have concerns about barrel storage during summer. Moving plastic fermenters into cupboards inside isn't a big hassle, but I can't see the Mrs letting me have a barrel inside!

My first batch in my new 47 litre coleman esky. Great esky, no mod';s required, just take the tap out, and a half inch bulkhead fitting goes straight through.

big-tun.jpg

It's a porter, although it doesnt look dark as the dark malts aren't in yet.

6.3kg MO
200g Melanoiden
410 Caramunich 3
570 Choc
75g Smoked
170g Brown

Brown and choc in at last 15 mins of mash

40g Progress @ 60 mins

45g Willamette FWH
45g Willamette Flameout

26 IBU

Have no idea if the new tun is going to give different efficiencies etc, so im just doing what i do in my small one, in this one.

Cheers

My first batch in my new 47 litre coleman esky. Great esky, no mod';s required, just take the tap out, and a half inch bulkhead fitting goes straight through.

big-tun.jpg

It's a porter, although it doesnt look dark as the dark malts aren't in yet.

6.3kg MO
200g Melanoiden
410 Caramunich 3
570 Choc
75g Smoked
170g Brown

Brown and choc in at last 15 mins of mash

40g Progress @ 60 mins

45g Willamette FWH
45g Willamette Flameout

26 IBU

Have no idea if the new tun is going to give different efficiencies etc, so im just doing what i do in my small one, in this one.

Cheers

Why add the brown and choc at the last 15 mins? Whats the benifit? Havnt heard of that before :huh:

Why add the brown and choc at the last 15 mins? Whats the benifit? Havnt heard of that before :huh:

You get less astringency, and a smoother flavour. Dark malts dont need to be converted. I used to never brew dark brews, they all had a sharp bite to them, even with small amounts of dark malts. Since adding them at the last 15 mins, im loving dark malts. This batch is a repeat of a porter i made a few months ago. Best beer i've ever brewed in 4+ years of all grain brewing.

EDIT: i believe it is a german method from memory. I will try to find some info about it. Geoffi tried it with great results, so i tried it, and it definatelky worked for me. He's in Vanuatu at the moment ( lucky bugger ) so when he returns i'll ask him if there's any written info on the intermanet.

You get less astringency, and a smoother flavour. Dark malts dont need to be converted. I used to never brew dark brews, they all had a sharp bite to them, even with small amounts of dark malts. Since adding them at the last 15 mins, im loving dark malts. This batch is a repeat of a porter i made a few months ago. Best beer i've ever brewed in 4+ years of all grain brewing.

EDIT: i believe it is a german method from memory. I will try to find some info about it. Geoffi tried it with great results, so i tried it, and it definatelky worked for me. He's in Vanuatu at the moment ( lucky bugger ) so when he returns i'll ask him if there's any written info on the intermanet.

Interesting... Next question :p How do I put my finger on astringency? What is it? Are my beers astringent? Im not sure???

I make heaps of dark beers, and not sure if ive noticed an astringency, but it never seems to be as roasty as I want, is this some how related? Would I get more of a smooth roasty flavour by adding them late?

Cheers mate

Interesting... Next question :p How do I put my finger on astringency? What is it? Are my beers astringent? Im not sure???

I make heaps of dark beers, and not sure if ive noticed an astringency, but it never seems to be as roasty as I want, is this some how related? Would I get more of a smooth roasty flavour by adding them late?

Cheers mate

A very sharp bite, or harsh bitter like flavour. Some people dont mind it all ( maybe yourself? ) and some people dont like it one bit ( me! ). If you brew a lot of dark beers and are happy, no reason to stop. If you wanna experiment, try it on your next one. Do a beer you usually do, but throw the dark grains in at 15mins to go. Some would say to add more to compensate for being in the mash for less time, which you could do, maybe 10% more. OR you could do the exact same amount, and see what difference it makes. I love the big roasty flavour this beer has, but you can still taste other things in the beer ( Caramunich 3 ). Try it and see mate, i would be interested to hear how it works for someone who brews a lot of dark beers.

A very sharp bite, or harsh bitter like flavour. Some people dont mind it all ( maybe yourself? ) and some people dont like it one bit ( me! ). If you brew a lot of dark beers and are happy, no reason to stop. If you wanna experiment, try it on your next one. Do a beer you usually do, but throw the dark grains in at 15mins to go. Some would say to add more to compensate for being in the mash for less time, which you could do, maybe 10% more. OR you could do the exact same amount, and see what difference it makes. I love the big roasty flavour this beer has, but you can still taste other things in the beer ( Caramunich 3 ). Try it and see mate, i would be interested to hear how it works for someone who brews a lot of dark beers.

Maybe some of my beers are astringent, allthough I havnt really minded it if they are??? I need to get someone else to taste them to give me feedback <_<

Im definately gonna give it a try, im quite interested, only problem is brewing something I do all the time :rolleyes: Cos I havnt done the same brew twice, but I have a smoked Porter which is one of my faves, so I might redo it and throw the dark malts in for the last 15-20 mins... Will let you know mate

Cheers

only problem is brewing something I do all the time :rolleyes: Cos I havnt done the same brew twice,

Mate this porter is probably the only brew that i have copied and not changed anything, malt wise anyway, i had to change the hops a little due to what i had. But the grains are exactly the same, scaled up to a double batch. I know what you mean, i mostly do bitters, and i always change this or that slightly.

It's been a lovely sunny day over here, perfect for brewing a nice light wheat beer:

Hefeweizen

OG 1.042
16 IBU
24L

2.5kg JW wheat malt
1.4kg Weyermann Vienna
500g Weyermann Pilsner
200g Carahell
100g acidulated malt

30g US tettnang (3.0% AA) bittering
15g US tettnang flameout

Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068

And just for kicks I've got the same grain bill twice over, the next one will get around a kilo of frozen raspberries added post-fermentation.

As dark specialty malts contribute mostly flavour and aroma and contribute little in the way of sugars there is little use in leaving them in the mash longer than the required time to convert with the assistance of the base malt. Will leave it up to Chad to provide his reasons, but for many it provides a softer flavour.

Reviled, for astringent/tannin/tanic flavour try black tea.

Screwy

Just knocked up a quick lager, forgot the specialty malts so this is what I ended up with:

3.50kgs BB Pale Pils
0.50kgs Rice

60min 30gms Tettnang (estimated to 3.5%)
0min 15gms Tettnang (estimated to 3.5%)

S-189 yeast, prob pitch high and bring down.

My beer from the QABC that got a place is all gone so a quick brew to get something down in time to send off.

Luckily mine was a wheat beer as I can brew a weizen in the time frame...

It might not be quite ready but at worst I've had another excuse to brew :)

Half will be a hefe, half will form the base for the annual Strawbeery. 4kgs in half a batch this time, should be interesting...

Recipe: Halfaweizen
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (32.5)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.50 L
Boil Size: 35.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 11.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
100.00 gm Rice Gulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 1.82 %
3300.00 gm Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 60.00 %
1100.00 gm Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 20.00 %
1000.00 gm Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 18.18 %
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.70 %] (60 min)Hops 8.6 IBU
15.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.70 %] (15 min)Hops 3.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Munich (Danstar) Yeast-Wheat

I only just started fermenting my APA for the AABC haha. I had to enter something.

Going to feed Wyeast 3787 to this tomorrow.

Grinding the grains now.
22-23L

5.00 kg Pilsner Weyermann
0.50 kg Munich I Weyermann
0.25 kg Cara-Pils
0.25 kg Wheat Malt Weyermann
0.13 kg Oats, Flaked
10.00 gm Tradition 5.70 % 60 min First Wort Hop
25.00 gm Saaz 4.00 % 60 min First Wort Hop
20.00 gm Saaz 4.00 % 20 min
20.00 gm Tradition 5.70 % 20 min
0.16 Sugars