What are you Brewing 2016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They seem to be picking up a bit of a following I hear.

Tahoose said:
They seem to be picking up a bit of a following I hear.
For a while now I've been making high % wheat and oat ( up to 50% of the grist ) ales loaded with hops.

So to start trying the new method of chloride forward and using the Vermont/1318/Conan strain Im interested to see what the outcomes will be. The US has gone nuts for them

Pratty1 said:
For a while now I've been making high % wheat and oat ( up to 50% of the grist ) ales loaded with hops.

So to start trying the new method of chloride forward and using the Vermont/1318/Conan strain Im interested to see what the outcomes will be. The US has gone nuts for them
how'd your first one go mate (with high chloride)?

Actually I'd guess the flavours brought by the Conan yeast would go pretty well with the cola-ish fruitiness that high percentages of oats can bring. That, and the berry aspect of Golden Naked Oats.

Code:
Mid Strength American Wheat for the cricket season and xmas holidays. Need to be spot on with my numbers to make sure I don't end up with a sub 3% beer! Getting on the 1318 bandwagon. 

Recipe: Wheat Lite
Style: American Wheat Beer

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.00 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   1        -             
2.00 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   2        -             
2.00 ml               Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins)             Water Agent   3        -             
2.00 kg               Gladfield American Ale Malt (5.0 EBC)    Grain         4        51.1 %        
1.30 kg               Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC)   Grain         5        33.2 %        
0.41 kg               Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC)               Grain         6        10.6 %        
0.20 kg               Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                   Grain         7        5.1 %         
15.00 g               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           8        7.9 IBUs      
10.00 g               Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10. Hop           9        5.8 IBUs      
20.00 g               Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  5.0 m Hop           10       2.7 IBUs      
20.00 g               Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Steep/Wh Hop           11       3.2 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124. Yeast         12       -             

Mash Schedule: Wit
Total Grain Weight: 3.91 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash Step         Add 15l of water and heat to 50.0 C     50.0 C        15 min        
Mash Step         Add -0.00 l of water at 69.0 C          69.0 C        90 min        
Mash Step         Heat to 75.0 C over 4 min               75.0 C        10 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 10L @ 76. Top up to 29.5L pre-boil.
Notes:
------
15/12/2016 - 15L mash. 10L sparge. 100% RO for sparge and 9L RO in the mash.

First time I've been able to brew for ages, but I've just got a three tap kegerator and those kegs wont fill themselves!
Saison 23litres

73% Pils
25% Wheat
2% Acidulated malt

50g saaz @ 45 min
20g EKG @ 15 min
15g saaz and 20g tettnanger @ 0 min

fermed at laundry ambient temp with WLP566

Can't wait, hoping the yeast does its thing quick and I could possibly be drinking this with Chrismas lunch!

First clean beers in a while, brewed Manticle's Dark Mild . Also brewed Fatz's Better Red than Dead and Smurto's Landlord recently which is fermenting away. Going to be mixed packs for family Chrissy presents.

Have a Brett Porter and Brett saison nearly ready for bottling, although I'm going to rack half the saison onto some peaches, apricots and American oak. Another batch of saison will go straight onto the cake of the previous batch. My golden sour goes down as soon as my brew bucket and FTSS arrive which will free the fermentation fridge for all my mixed fermentations.

Planning a double batch of Wiggmans Aussie Lager.

Ferment it reasonably high with s-189 and lager for a month for Australia Day.

Last lager I did turned out horribly, yeast wasn't as viable as I thought.

paulyman said:
First clean beers in a while, brewed Manticle's Dark Mild . Also brewed Fatz's Better Red than Dead and Smurto's Landlord recently which is fermenting away. Going to be mixed packs for family Chrissy presents.

Have a Brett Porter and Brett saison nearly ready for bottling, although I'm going to rack half the saison onto some peaches, apricots and American oak. Another batch of saison will go straight onto the cake of the previous batch. My golden sour goes down as soon as my brew bucket and FTSS arrive which will free the fermentation fridge for all my mixed fermentations.
Jesus i feel boring all of a sudden

That's quite a selection of beers!

Haven't posted here yet! These two I've brewed already, eager to see how it'll taste once it has settled in the kegs.

Joshy's Pale 'Lager'- 23l

3.5kg JW Trad Ale (67.3%)
1.5kg JW Wheat Malt (28.8%)
0.2kg Caramunich Malt (3.8%)
MJ M54 California Lager yeast

Cube hopped (No chill)
15g Galaxy
15g Amarillo
10g Nelson Sauvin
10g Columbus
10g Chinook

Joshy's APA v1- 23l

4.5kg JW trad ale (85.7%)
0.5kg JW wheat malt (9.5%)
0.25kg Caraaroma (4.8%)
Nottingham Yeast

10g Chinook FWH

Cube hopped (No chill)
30g Galaxy
30g Amarillo
20g Nelson Sauvin
20g Columbus
10g Chinook

paulyman said:

Did you pitch brett in the saison at the same time as the sacc? How long has it been fermenting for?

I have about 3kg of south coast peaches in the freezer and was going to do a brett brux (WLP644) / belle saison, ferment it out and leave on peaches for a couple of months.

shacked said:
Did you pitch brett in the saison at the same time as the sacc? How long has it been fermenting for?

I have about 3kg of south coast peaches in the freezer and was going to do a brett brux (WLP644) / belle saison, ferment it out and leave on peaches for a couple of months.
I used the Wyeast Brett Saison PC blend, been in the fermenter for nearly a month now, haven't checked it to see how it's going yet. My plan is pretty well the same as yours.

Tahoose said:
Planning a double batch of Wiggmans Aussie Lager.

Ferment it reasonably high with s-189 and lager for a month for Australia Day.

Last lager I did turned out horribly, yeast wasn't as viable as I thought.
Stoked to hear you're trying this. Note in the recipe I wrote JW light crystal - not quite right. I later found out I used JW cara malt. It's lighter than light crystal but perfect for adding a bit of body to a dry lager.
I'll see if I can get a mod to update.

I might just use crystal anyway as I have some on hand.

Maybe use 55g instead of 110g??

Brewed my first saison today..

Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated IBU: 27.6 IBUs
Estimated ABV: 6.9%

Ingredients:
78.6% Pilsner
18.4% Wheat Malt
3.0% Rye Malt

60mins -
12.0 IBU/30g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %]
5mins -
20g Grapefruit Zest
20g Orange Zest

Cube -
8.2 IBU/25g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]
5.8 IBU/25g Cascade, New Zealand [7.00 %]
1.5 IBU/10g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %]

WLP566 Belgian Saison II Yeast

Dry Hop
25.00 g Amarillo [8.50 %]
25.00 g Cascade [7.00 %]

I've been busy this last week:

Smoked porter

65.5% bb ale
16.8% smoked malt (best malz)
7.6% dark crystal
4.2% choc
4.2% roast malt
1.7% acid malt

35 ibu summit @ 60
6 ibu fuggles in the cube

Og 1.054
Fg 1.016 (actual)

APA

83.9% bb ale
10.4% dark Munich
4.1% acidulated
2.6% med crystal

19 ibu summit @ 60
15 ibu cascade cube
8 ibu summit cube

Og 1.045
Fg 1.010 (estimated)

American brown

75.4% bb ale
8.8% dark Munich
7.9% med crystal
4.4% choc
3.5% acidulated

17 ibu summit @ 60
7 ibu cascade cube
6 ibu fuggles cube

Og 1.052
Fg 1.012 (estimated)

First day time brew day in ages today, it's been much more relaxed than my normal Friday night shindigs.

Looks good.
Curious about acid malt addition in such a dark beer though (smoked porter)

manticle said:
Looks good.
Curious about acid malt addition in such a dark beer though (smoked porter)
Bru'n water said ph was still a bit high based on QUU figures... I'm just playing around with ph adjustments at the moment. To be honest most beers I make taste fine whether or not I use acid malt.

Furry muff. Would have thought the roast would drop pH sufficiently.

If it tastes good, it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back