What Are You Brewing - 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apricot Sour
Ingredients: ------------ Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 33.3 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 30.0 %
1.00 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 3 16.7 %
0.50 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 4 8.3 %
0.20 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 5 3.3 %
12.00 g Bobek [5.25 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 6.5 IBUs
1.16 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.0 pkg Biere de Gard (Wyeast Labs #3725PC4) 3rd Gen slurry -
1.16 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 9 -
0.50 kg Fruit - Apricot -fresh/ tart (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 10 8.3 %
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 kg ----------------------------
Hopefully will be as tart as this one.

apricot.JPG

I only just kegged it, ask me in a couple of weeks - the sample I had was all over the place, quite weird actually, but it will improve (I hope).

How come you use so much acidulated malt in that apricot sour recipe, does it amplify the tartness of the apricots or something?

Recipe: Flight of the Conchords

Style: American Pale Ale

Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 21.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.8 IBUs

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston)
0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White)
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White)
15.00 g Magnum - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet
20.00 g Falconer's Flight - Boil 15.0
20.00 g Falconer's Flight - Boil 5.0
20.00 g Falconer's Flight - Dry Hop

Mangrove Jack's West Coast Ale

Recipe: Bleeding Heart
Style: American IPA

Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 32.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.2 IBUs

5.00 kg Best Maltz RED X (30.0 EBC)
0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.2 EBC)
10.00 g Magnum - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
20.00 g Chinook - Boil 10.0 min
15.00 g Simcoe - Boil 10.0 min
10.00 g Falconer's Flight - Boil 10.0
25.00 g Chinook - Boil 5.0
20.00 g Simcoe - Boil 5.0
15.00 g Falconer's Flight - Boil 5.0
15.00 g Falconer's Flight - Dry Hop
15.00 g Simcoe - Dry Hop

Mangrove Jack's West Coast Ale

Horrible stuck sparge pissed me off no end.
But we got there. Good effieciency in the end.

APA

58% GP
20% rye
20% munich
2% med xtal

Chinook & Citra (or similar - it'll depend upon what I need to use up in the freezer) @ FHW & Cube

35 IBUs
1272 @ 18'C

Quirky English bitter:
NOTE: A previous and conventional batch of bitter had 93% MO and 7% medium crystal, EKG and Willamette hops, and West Yorkshire liquid yeast, and was mashed at 67. Nice balance of ester and malt flavours but not to my tastes a summer brew. So I thought I'd mash a bit lower, lower the caramel in favor of toast and melanoidinn, use a slightly more neutral yeast and bring the hops a bit more forward.

22 L starting boil volume and 22 L final beer volume.

BIAB mash at 66 C for 75 minutes and batch sparged:
3.5 kg Simpson Maris Otter
100g Bestmalz melanoidin
160 g home-toasted JW wheat malt
40 g Dingemans Special B

75 minute boil

@ -60, 28g of Challenger
@ -17, 12 g Challenger, 12 g Willamette and 12g EKG
After cooling to 79 C (below DMS formation temperature) with cold sterile water, added 8g each of Willamette and EKG. Delayed further cooling for ten minutes, then cooled fast.
OG of 21L 1.048, mash efficiency 88%
Fermented w. US-05 for 18 days in primary, starting at 17 and rising to 20.
Bottled after adding to fermenter 1 L boiled water with 120 g cane sugar, and after cooling 2 ml Challenger “liquid hops” (hop oil in solution).

A sample tasted at bottling was very promising, but that early reading can deceive.

Cubed and cleaned up :super:

Balgownie Bitter

90% Low Colour Maris
2.5% Heritage Crystal
2.5% Dark Crystal
5% Wheat Malt

45g EKG @ 60
20g EKG @ 10
20g EKG @ Flame out.

1.047 & 39.6 IBU (no chill)

Probably use Wyeast 1318 London III

Witbier

44.4% dingemans pils
44.4% raw wheat
11.1% raw oats

Some coriander chamomile tea and fresh orange zest ( need to re read BLAM etc for amounts, but from memory last time I only added small amounts to good effect ).

Challenger 60 mins

Cereal mash for the wheat n oats, back to main mash to raise from 62 up to 72c.

15 IBU

Wy 3944

My "starter" Belgian pale ale came out at 1.060, so I don't want to just use a smack pack on it so I'm quickly doing a table beer for it.

47.6% abbey malt
44.4% best Munich
7.9% cara belge

Challenger 60 mins

Wy 3787

14 IBU

sponge said:
APA

58% GP
20% rye
20% munich
2% med xtal

Chinook & Citra (or similar - it'll depend upon what I need to use up in the freezer) @ FHW & Cube

35 IBUs
1272 @ 18'C
How does the rye go in an APA, had a very similar recipe in mind. In fact had only difference is the base and an added dry hop addition.

American Pale Ale

Eleventh Hour Pale Ale 6 ( still fine tuning the house ale recipe )

OG - 1050
ABV - 5%
IBU - 35
EBC - 16

85% Ale Malt
10% Wheat Malt
5% Caraamber (Crystal 40)

Bittering Hop - Magnum 14g @ 45mins = 15ibu
Flavour Hop - Amarillo 35g @ 10mins = 10ibu
Aroma Hop - Cascade 35g @ 0mins - Whirlpooled 20mins = 10ibu
Dry Hop - Centennial 35g = 1.6g/L for 5days @ 4c

Keg and condition for 2 weeks before serving :beerbang:

Midnight Brew said:
How does the rye go in an APA, had a very similar recipe in mind. In fact had only difference is the base and an added dry hop addition.
I put rye into the majority of my APAs and love it. Real nice slickness to balance the bitterness of the hops. I don't normally go over 20% but have seen a few recipes from brewers going well above that with good results.

I ended up going all citra for that recipe and will dry hop with some also (if I can find anymore in my freezer). I ended up having a 3 hour mash as well due to forgetting about playing squash with a mate about 30min into the mash. Wort ended up nice and clear..

It's in the fermenter now so am hoping she'll be in the keg and good to go by next weekend.

Midnight Brew said:
I like (and have for a long time) used Rye as a spec malt (so say 5% or so). My Lord Nelson recipe was an early version of this.

My only issue, is that once I get to 10%, I find it muddies the beer and my hops and loses something. That's about the best description, but yeah - just prefer it down as a part flavour.

sponge said:
It's in the fermenter now so am hoping she'll be in the keg and good to go by next weekend.
Let us know how it goes, looks like a ripper.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I like (and have for a long time) used Rye as a spec malt (so say 5% or so). My Lord Nelson recipe was an early version of this.

My only issue, is that once I get to 10%, I find it muddies the beer and my hops and loses something. That's about the best description, but yeah - just prefer it down as a part flavour.
Thanks LRG, have 5kg of it and was planning a Smurto Rye Golden ale and my house apa which is usually 8% wheat and just subbing it for 8% rye.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:

At 20% Rye I've ended up with a scorched element and my beer tasting like an ashtray.

What I'm brewing:

Wild pecan porter
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/wild-pecan-porter-340640/

Chinook & Simcoe APA
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/chinook-simcoe-apa-448137/

making a dry cream ale/lager rip off this weekend. simply for lifting up my head and pouring down my throat in the heat.

20L - biab
2.5kg joe white traditional ale
300gm minute rice
64C for 90 mins
11gm galena @ 60

us-05 @ 17C
yeast nutrient
amylase enzyme

1.030 OG
1.000 FG
17IBU

thinking of adding some polenta, but don't want a multitude of different flavours, just minimal.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:

I do know what you mean, it does 'muddy' the flavour somewhat, but I find (especially) with really fruity hops is to help cut back on the full fruit salad and tame it a bit, but also adds that oily mouthfeel. I findthe rye just helps add a little something to the malt profile instead of just finishing dry and being left with a mouth full of fruit.

It's almost (big almost) similar to adding chinook/simcoe/something piney to help balance the fruit, but from a different direction.

Similarly to you I'll also add it at lower rates, but decided to go in with a kilo (20%) with that brew.

Have locked the old one. To save wading through almost 300 pages, please post recipes here.

Back