What A Great Pastime Crafting Your Own Beer Is !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gotta love this hobby.

You feel like a king in control of a magnificent garage brewery on brewday, and downing the products in time gives you a real rush.
And I agree, it's way cheaper than commercial stuff, and often far better.

Our daughter's fiance complained to me recently that my HB beers have spoiled his taste buds for commercial megaswill, but hey, what's a man to do?

See Warra i see that as a fertile field that just needs a little fertilizer, you've ploughed, planted the seed and that one will germinate into another home brewer....

I like a beer and live within 15 minutes walk of the Peppermint Bay Hotel but rarely ever go there. Now doesn't that tell you something. Maybe I could get the Manager to put a keg of my own brew on.

I've done a few AG brews so far and... well, it never gets tiring. Doing the crush, smelling the mash, throwing in the hops... how wonderful!

I like a beer and live within 15 minutes walk of the Peppermint Bay Hotel but rarely ever go there. Now doesn't that tell you something. Maybe I could get the Manager to put a keg of my own brew on.

Now Tassie would be one of the few places where this might actually be possible, maybe if the old Woodbridge pub was still there :rolleyes:

Screwy

No Screwy the old pub is long gone. New place sorta upmarket wine and dine place where you come down from Hobart on a fast Cat. either have a lunch on board or at the pub then a cruise around the channel. Calls back to the pub at 3.00pm then back up to Hobart again not a bad trip actually. They do have Moo's wheat on tap which I am not a fan of and the usual local brew but not cheap at $4:60 a schooner. Yeah I could make a good buck getting my own brew in there as a boutique, but would have to ramp up the output somewhat from 40L batches.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

No Screwy the old pub is long gone. New place sorta upmarket wine and dine place where you come down from Hobart on a fast Cat. either have a lunch on board or at the pub then a cruise around the channel. Calls back to the pub at 3.00pm then back up to Hobart again not a bad trip actually. They do have Moo's wheat on tap which I am not a fan of and the usual local brew but not cheap at $4:60 a schooner. Yeah I could make a good buck getting my own brew in there as a boutique, but would have to ramp up the output somewhat from 40L batches.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

maybe if the old Woodbridge pub was still there

Yeah BN have been to the new place, very nice. Wifes cousin lives in Woodbridge, his daughter works there at the restaurant.

Cheers,

Screwy

Ok! ok! I missed the "IF" but the old pub was quite primitive and the locals wouldn't get their noses past the revered Cascade, so I would guess trying to get anything else on tap would be like trying to sell Boags in the deep south at that time. Going on folk lore the old pub wasn't the original as it got burnt down so God knows what the first one was like. As a matter of interest it is pretty hard to break the older drinkers here, out of the Cascade mold as boutique beers really only appeal to the visitors that come here. I find most will drink HB if its for free but won't make it as they would sooner pay 38-40 bucks for a case of the local cascade brew. "Brew by You" at Glenorchy closed their doors as a brewery and opened up as a HB shop in Moonah as they couldn't get enough support from brewers that didn't want to make beer from the ground up.
I guess if you were making a good boutique beer here it would end up on the mainland. Old habits die hard apparently.

Cheers

I understand that a lot of Cascade is now made at Yatala (just south of Brisbane) just as XXXX Gold is produced at Tooheys, West End, and no doubt Swan. At least I know that Bribie Draught and Bribie Old are made on Bribie Island and production isn't going to be moved to the mainland anytime soon, unless Sully has another brew day and I take my urn, bag and cube over to do a demo brew :lol: :icon_cheers:

I understand that a lot of Cascade is now made at Yatala (just south of Brisbane) just as XXXX Gold is produced at Tooheys, West End, and no doubt Swan. At least I know that Bribie Draught and Bribie Old are made on Bribie Island and production isn't going to be moved to the mainland anytime soon, unless Sully has another brew day and I take my urn, bag and cube over to do a demo brew :lol: :icon_cheers:

Don't know if that is right, as unless their spin about Cascade been made from the pristine waters from the melting snow off Mt Wellington is wrong then who knows. I rarely drink the stuff as IMO the quality of Cascade has diminished over the years but I put that down to ingredients not water.

:(

Back