Weyermann V White Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually at 11 litres the beer would have turned out identical to a Coopers Toucan. OK I'll do that and put the resulting beer in secondary with some Saaz tea (have a couple of plugs left from the recipe) and with the Urquell yeast it should turn out a nice drop. :)

why do some drink New over VB or visaversa? Is one 30% better?

No!

Its just a subtlty in taste that apeals to the consumer and it makes all the difference.

Thats where its at for me.......

Tony, the words VB, New and taste should never be in the same paragraph together. :icon_vomit:

A lot of the results of making a quality pilsner beer with JW Pils or Weyermann Pils will not be solely down to the malt.
Obviously how you brew, water, hops, yeast selection, fermentation regime and conditioning the beer will be as important if not more.

I suggest you get all those criteria down pat first then begin trying with the "higher quality" ingredients.

C&B
TDA

Also for those who do think there is a significant difference, beyond placebo, I'd love to see you pick it in a triangular tasting! <_<

I reckon I could pick the WeyBoPils out of the three as long as it was in a suitable beer, ie not drowned out with hops/specialty malts. For me it has a distinctive almond nuttiness, almost marzipan like that Ive really grown to like.

Cheers
Andrew.

I suggest you get all those criteria down pat first then begin trying with the "higher quality" ingredients.

Good call. You won't find a more user-friendly malt than JW pils either. I suspect that when/if you do try the Weyermann stuff you may be a little underwhelmed with the improvement.

I found the same thing after trying MO for the first time. I had used JW Ale for years and finally was convinced to try MO because it was "sooo much better" (which is often what you hear). I could hardly tell a difference between the two! Certainly not after you add other specialties to the mix as well. Whatever small difference does exist, for me its not enough to justify the extra cost.

It would be interesting to know what malts where used in the comps and what the results where.....

Gerard_M obviously won a gold medal not using Weyermann so that must be telling us something, anyone else won medals using Aussie malts?

Rook

... i've won Amateur comps/gold medals (AABC,ACTABC) with Weyermann and Pro comps/gold medals with Joe White (AIBA)....and vice versa....

...if we could afford to use Weyermann here all the time, I would...i think they are superior on a number of fronts...european grain seems to be bigger & plumper and with less shattered husk thru our mill....at the moment weyermann wheat grains looks nearly twice as big as JW wheat...and i really do like my Munich malt to come from Munich....or at least Bamberg...
...however, supporting OZ barley growers and maltsters is righteous as is reducing the so called carbon miles...

Scott
SCB

It would be interesting to know what malts where used in the comps and what the results where.....

Gerard_M obviously won a gold medal not using Weyermann so that must be telling us something, anyone else won medals using Aussie malts?

Rook

We also picked up a best in class & Gold for the Dirty Angel & Silver for The Mahogany Porter in this years AIBA using JW Trad Ale as the base malt. Actually all the beers I brew use only Joe White malts :eek: & White Labs yeasts.
It is not that I have any problem with imported malts, I just choose not to use them.
cheers
Gerard

Actually all the beers I brew use only Joe White malts :eek: & White Labs yeasts.
It is not that I have any problem with imported malts, I just choose not to use them.
cheers
Gerard

Good point. There's certainly nothing wrong with the imported stuff. But on balance, for me, I'll stick with the domestic stuff most of the time, particularly base malts.

i brewed an Aussie ale with JW ale and JW wheat and got first in international ale at NSW state comp and 4th in class i think at AABC (by half a point :()

Beat lots of APA's :)

I used POR as well :)

i brewed an Aussie ale with JW ale and JW wheat and got first in international ale at NSW state comp and 4th in class i think at AABC (by half a point :()

Beat lots of APA's :)

I used POR as well :)

How close your your heart do you keep the recipe, tony?

I just did my first Bohemian Pilsener with 5k of wey Bohemian Pils from Craftbrewer. They charge the same price as MO etc. I did a 20 min protein rest 52 degrees then the boiling water thingo and a 90 min boil. Cubed and about to whack the Urquell pack in a few minutes and get a good starter going.

:icon_offtopic: We obviously have some lager gurus here, what's a good pitching temperature? Should I pitch say at 19 then nudge it down to around 12, or pitch at fermenting temperature?

:icon_offtopic: just replying to BribieG

Hey BribieG,
You need to read these couple of paragraphs.

Palmers how to brew

Go cold & even.

Makes for far better lagers in my experience. In fact, some (me now included) even pitch a couple of degrees under target fermentation temp (both yeast & wort) and let it rise to the 10-12C you're wanting. This should not produce any diacetyl. Note that I pitch under target ferment temp by 2 deg then let it rise, but always do a D-rest to be sure to be sure. Works better for me than my old method of pitching over target and cooling at the same time the yeasties are trying to take off. There are many lager methods / combos. This gives me the best results so far.

mckenry

:icon_offtopic: just replying to BribieG

Hey BribieG,
You need to read these couple of paragraphs.

Palmers how to brew

Go cold & even.

Makes for far better lagers in my experience. In fact, some (me now included) even pitch a couple of degrees under target fermentation temp (both yeast & wort) and let it rise to the 10-12C you're wanting. This should not produce any diacetyl. Note that I pitch under target ferment temp by 2 deg then let it rise, but always do a D-rest to be sure to be sure. Works better for me than my old method of pitching over target and cooling at the same time the yeasties are trying to take off. There are many lager methods / combos. This gives me the best results so far.

mckenry

Sorry for being OT
I pitch my Lagers really low, around 6 or 8 degrees, allowing it to rise to 12. Then allow to rise to 16 for D rest. Cheers

I am going for a Pils this weekend using Weyerman BoPils with Budvar 2000 and heaps of Czeck saaz. Tank water should compliment this style and first time up brewing a Pils can't forsee any problems as I had some good lagers last winter. I agree with Tony's post on an extra four cents a glass is small changeif you are buying a quality grain. I used JWM base malt for my APA's over the summer and had no complaints so I guess it's horses for courses

:icon_cheers:

dang.

Tony??

Try the recipe wiki. Tony is good for supplying his recipes. His pale will be a simple recipe cos he's an uncomplicated brewer, but probably used POR flowers rather than the pellets, which will change the character of the brew.

:icon_offtopic: Thanks for the tips on pitching, will start chilling that cube now, have a good healthy starter breeding up.

On topic: I don't use JW as my supplier stocks BB, but I find I can get the best of both worlds in most of my ales and stouts by using BB Ale as base malt and pimping it up with a bit of Munich 1 or 2, some melanoidin, Carared etc. I reckon once you have done that, there would be very little advantage in using MO etc. Apart from my current Pilsener I'm more than happy with BB Pale Pilsener and Galaxy in lagers and even in Olds where the Pale Pilsener gives a super clean finish.

One thing: using Weyermann, make sure you give it a really good boil, 90 minutes or so, to get rid of DMS, especially if you no-chill.

I actually regard DMS (well, sulphides generally) as one of the main reasons for using continental malts!

I was reading an old BYO magazine this morning. A relevant story covered how Weyermann did a side by side testing of a pilsner which they made four times - each with a different species of base malt (all other ingredients were the same). They then invited a number of experts in to evaluate the end results.

The bottom line was that there was a clear favourite (and least favourite) grain variety for the beer that was made. Of course they cautioned that the least favourite grain variety (which was still reasonably well received) might work well in a different recipe.

So it looks like there is no right/wrong answer for base malt selection, just that some malts are going to work better to your conditions/recipes than others.

Back