Weyermann V White Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK ive swung back to JW. When im a more accomplished brewer ill give Wey a try.
What rests do JW need?

TYVM Damian

What rests do JW need?

No need for extra rests with JW (no need for rests with nearly all malts these days). Single infusion is just fine in my experience with both the pilsner, the trad ale, munich, vienna, or wheat. :D

I quite like the IMC pils........... it makes a great beer. Up there with standard Weyermann Pils in my book

I love the Weyermann Bohemien Pils in a beer. I love the subtle malt complexity it adds to the beer.

I couldnt give it a % better figure. I think thats a stupid mesure!

why do some drink New over VB or visaversa? Is one 30% better?

No!

Its just a subtlty in taste that apeals to the consumer and it makes all the difference.

Thats where its at for me.......

I still say try something different and see what you think.

The standard Wey Pils will be close to the Aus Pils malts.............. we do make good malts!

The Wey Prem pils is lighter and cleaner, the Boh pils id deeper, darker and maltier.

I love em all, use em all and use certain malts for certain brews....... thats why i have over 120kg of base malt in my garage :)

cheers

Yes Tony is right, depends on the brewer and the purpose of your brewing (comps etc).If you want a total German pils its obvious to use Weyermann.If you are happy to get a pils thats not quite a comp German Pils use the other.Both will produce good beer.If you are not on a quest use the cheaper one.Balance I think is more important.
GB

I can only speak from experience. I try to brew the best quality beer that I can possibly get on tap, if it goes good in a comp then that is a bonus. Having used JW Export Pilsner in a single infusion mash @ 65degrees C, I had a pretty good beer. Entered in the AIBA as a Boh.Pils & it picked up a Gold Medal.

Cheers
Gerard

I can only speak from experience. I try to brew the best quality beer that I can possibly get on tap, if it goes good in a comp then that is a bonus. Having used JW Export Pilsner in a single infusion mash @ 65degrees C, I had a pretty good beer. Entered in the AIBA as a Boh.Pils & it picked up a Gold Medal.

Cheers
Gerard
Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to brew with JW pils malt.I think Its produce here in WA but we cant get any from local suppliers.Obviously it does produce good results when used properly.
GB

Speaking of pils malt must be time for a visit to Gryphon to pick up a bag.Pilsner weather in Perth ATM.
I used to use JWM when in the territory and was quite happy with the results but now i have choice i tend to go with weyermann.

Cheers
Big D

I brewed exclusively with Joe white Malts at the beginning and it is good value for money.
Good results too IMO.
I posted a similar question a couple of years ago and now have tried Wyermenn Pils and Bohemian Pils.
The overheads went through the roof. LOL
So SWMBO has kept me from brewing for 4 months.

Back on topic, the Germans malts are very nice but a little costly. They give good results.
Maybe I am a better brewer now but it appears that the efficiencies have bumped UP a little.

Could be me or it could be the malts.

It would be interesting to know what malts where used in the comps and what the results where.....

Gerard_M obviously won a gold medal not using Weyermann so that must be telling us something, anyone else won medals using Aussie malts?

Rook

Having tried Gerard's pilsners and used JW myself for many years I think its the real dark horse in the domestic malt stable. I bought some Barrett Bursten Pale Malt recently and as much as it does the job, its not a patch on the JW in quality.

Weyermann is nice too but as matti said, its bloody expensive and I really wonder if the 50%+ higher price results in a 50%+ better beer. Personally I don't think it does.

Also for those who do think there is a significant difference, beyond placebo, I'd love to see you pick it in a triangular tasting! <_<

If you can get it......... try the weyermann Bohemien Pils.

Its a bit beefier and maltier and produces a fine beer.

cheers

I just did my first Bohemian Pilsener with 5k of wey Bohemian Pils from Craftbrewer. They charge the same price as MO etc. I did a 20 min protein rest 52 degrees then the boiling water thingo and a 90 min boil. Cubed and about to whack the Urquell pack in a few minutes and get a good starter going.

:icon_offtopic: We obviously have some lager gurus here, what's a good pitching temperature? Should I pitch say at 19 then nudge it down to around 12, or pitch at fermenting temperature?

:icon_offtopic: We obviously have some lager gurus here, what's a good pitching temperature? Should I pitch say at 19 then nudge it down to around 12, or pitch at fermenting temperature?

If you're direct pitching the Wyeast then you'll have to pitch warm and drop the temperature down to fermentation temp over a day or two.

If you're pitching a large starter (like 4-5L) then you can pitch at fermentation temperature.

The second option will give you the cleanest beer.

Thanks for that. If doing a large starter I suppose you would need to use a portion of the wort itself, but what do you do with the remainder of the wort while the starter is brewing up? Sounds like an infection 'window' ?

I quite like the IMC pils........... it makes a great beer. Up there with standard Weyermann Pils in my book

Amen to that. I think there's been a name change, ADM I believe. Not as widely available as JW, but if you can find it this is a great product at a good price.

Thanks for that. If doing a large starter I suppose you would need to use a portion of the wort itself, but what do you do with the remainder of the wort while the starter is brewing up? Sounds like an infection 'window' ?

I mainly make starters with extract. If I've got more wort than I was expecting for one reason or another I might use some of that for a starter. I'll take some out of the boil, boil on the stove for a couple of minutes and then cool. Fine for no-chilling as the rest gets put into a cube. Not much use if you chill, unless you use some of one batch for the starter for a later batch.

I found Weyerman Boho Pils malt made a big difference to my light colored belgians, the tripels, blondes etc just couldn't get the right flavour profile with any other malts.
Just my 2c

I mainly make starters with extract. If I've got more wort than I was expecting for one reason or another I might use some of that for a starter. I'll take some out of the boil, boil on the stove for a couple of minutes and then cool. Fine for no-chilling as the rest gets put into a cube. Not much use if you chill, unless you use some of one batch for the starter for a later batch.

Cheers, I'll zoom up the street and get some LDME.

Just an estimated guess but since Weyermanns has to be imported from Germany, the extra cost over JW is the freight component.

Unless you specifically want the Weyermanns for a flavour or similiar difference, you are only being a snob to buy the Weyermann over the JW.

Cheers, I'll zoom up the street and get some LDME.

Bribie, what I did for my Doppelbock (mainly cos LDME is so expensive here) I needed an 11 litre starter :eek: , so I just got a Coopers Lager kit for $11 at the supermarket and just made it up to 11 litres with no sugar and let it ferment out, gave me a nice big yeast cake allowing me to pitch at 10*c

Then I bottled the crappy kit beer and give it to my bludging mate who comes round all the time :lol: Leaving more good beer for me! haha

Bribie, what I did for my Doppelbock (mainly cos LDME is so expensive here) I needed an 11 litre starter :eek: , so I just got a Coopers Lager kit for $11 at the supermarket and just made it up to 11 litres with no sugar and let it ferment out, gave me a nice big yeast cake allowing me to pitch at 10*c

Then I bottled the crappy kit beer and give it to my bludging mate who comes round all the time :lol: Leaving more good beer for me! haha

11 litre starter.....That's one mammoth beer

11 litre starter.....That's one mammoth beer

My only really bad beer was from underpitching a lager and it was absolutely horrible, so I really wanted to get it right this time, and 11 litres is what Mr Malty said :lol: Crazy eh?

I felt it was worse having a lager go bad, cos you have to wait like 6 weeks to find out <_<

Back