Weyermann V White Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian44

Reaction score
I was going to order a bag of Weyermann Pils grain and i noticed ESB were selling Joe White for $47.16 (25kg). Thats $30 cheaper than Weyermann. They deliver the 25kg bags in the Sydney area for $9.

Whats the main difference between the two?

TYVM Damian

One of them is malted by Weyermann in Germany, using European grown barley, and one of them is malted by Joe White in Australia using Aussie grown barley.

Points of difference? Very subjective.

One commercial brewer that I know only uses Weyermann malt because he gets much better extraction efficiency, so it's worth the extra cash.

I'd be more inclined to say that one is like a BMW 3 series and one is like a Caprice.

On that basis, the Joe White would be 30% dearer than the Weyermann, which is obviously not quite correct! :p

Id probably take the Datsun 120y over the Magna. Doh this is getting me nowhere.

I'd be more inclined to say that one is like a BMW 3 series and one is like a Caprice.

Both good vehicles.
$ is why I go with the Joe Whyte Pils as base. We could get into the debate about local v O.S. - carbon miles etc etc, but really it comes down to the $ you are willing to spend. As Sammy says (kind of) they're both good. Both get you from A-B in style. At that price I dont believe the end result is worthy in a scale of cost:result. I do however use Wyerman specialties. Caramunich :icon_drool2:

One is like a Mercedes, the other is like a Magna

You are all forgetting one thing.

At the end of the day, they both do the same thing, just one has a 'luxury tax'. The other however is keeping some money in the country! :p

Honestly though, unless i am making a straight pilsner i'd use JW pils. I had a 'Three Troupers Pilsner' at the Fed Square VIC micro event last Q. I had a chat to the brewer about how melanoiden rich the beer was and asked him if it was Weyermann?! Turns out they use straight JW Export pilsner! :eek:

I told him about my Weyermann Pilsner (i think it had 5% each of Wey Vienna and Wey Carapils)i brewed and his pils mached it on the malt profile. Almost identical. At the end of the day, if you would prefer to buy 3 sacks of JW compared to 2 sacks of Weyermann. Go for it. Im a tradicitonalist and i rarely brew straight malt beers so when i brew pilsners, i'll most likly make it all weyermann. I mgith do a stright up JW one in the near future just for giggles to see how she turns out. i might be a convert!

I havnt used any White malts but absolutely love Weyermann, mainly their specialtys!!!

Caramunich II, CaraAroma, CaraRed, Carafa all so :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

But if you want a really good german Pilsner malt, try and find Global! its awesome and gave me better efficiency over Weyermann! The germans are quite fond of it also

95% of brewers could not tell the difference in a blind taste test.

If they can, is it 30% better in taste as it is in price?

95% of brewers could not tell the difference in a blind taste test.

If they can, is it 30% better in taste as it is in price?

Point 1........... is there a link to the results of this experiment?

Point 2........... That is something that can only be decided by the brewer themselves.

I say buy a bag of each and try them both. Make your own decisions. THey will both make great beers, just a bit different on the malt front.

I prefer weyermann malts. I fint they give a richer smoother rounder maltiness to the beer but in another brewery....... it could be the other way round. Thats why you have to try both.

25 kg or pils malt will make about 125 liters of 1.048 beer @ 75% efficiency.

At the rate of 375ml stubby, thats 333 beers.

at $50 for a bag or JW its about 15c a beer
at $50 + 30% its 19c per beer

for me............ 4c a beer is a small price to pay for premium results, and im happy to pay it!

cheers

Tony i just did those exact same number. Ive just finished off a bag of JW so ill give Weyermann a run. Thanks.

The Weyermann is only $77. Extra bonus.

If you can get it......... try the weyermann Bohemien Pils.

Its a bit beefier and maltier and produces a fine beer.

cheers

What sort of rests will i need for the Bohemien Pils.

TYVM Damian

i give it a 10 min rest at 52 deg @ 2 liters / Kg then infuse with boiling water to mash temp.

nothing special required.

Its actually lower in protein content than regular Weyermann Pils...... was when i last read the spec sheets anyway

I get crystal clear beers with it and the maltiness is wonderfull.

1% acidulated malt in a all pils malt bill doesnt go astray to drop the pH a bit either ;)

cheers

Point 1........... is there a link to the results of this experiment?

Point 2........... That is something that can only be decided by the brewer themselves.

I say buy a bag of each and try them both. Make your own decisions. THey will both make great beers, just a bit different on the malt front.

I prefer weyermann malts. I fint they give a richer smoother rounder maltiness to the beer but in another brewery....... it could be the other way round. Thats why you have to try both.

25 kg or pils malt will make about 125 liters of 1.048 beer @ 75% efficiency.

At the rate of 375ml stubby, thats 333 beers.

at $50 for a bag or JW its about 15c a beer
at $50 + 30% its 19c per beer

for me............ 4c a beer is a small price to pay for premium results, and im happy to pay it!

cheers
Yes Tony is right, depends on the brewer and the purpose of your brewing (comps etc).If you want a total German pils its obvious to use Weyermann.If you are happy to get a pils thats not quite a comp German Pils use the other.Both will produce good beer.If you are not on a quest use the cheaper one.Balance I think is more important.
GB

I've used both, and got excellent results with both. One thing: using Weyermann, make sure you give it a really good boil, 90 minutes or so, to get rid of DMS, especially if you no-chill.

I'm not convinced the extra cost is worth it. If money was no object I would probably go the W, but the difference is not that great.

Latest posts

Back