Weizenbock Recipe Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakie21

Reaction score
Hi guys

Did a quick search and turned up a couple of recipes but couldnt find any feedback on if they worked for people or not.

I have a wyeast 3068 in the mail since getting hooked on liquid yeast after trying my belgian blonde ale (with wyeast 3787).
I am going to try and attempt a weihenstephan hefe clone (or something close).

I figured why waste some perfectly yeast so I am considering using the yeast cake to do a weizenbock after.

Does anyone have any kit recipes? or extract recipes. So far I have only done kits but am pretty confident in brewing now that I have the basics down.

Do you guys think this will work? I hear 3068 is explosive... my 3787 almost came out of my 30L fermenter (21L batch). I will have a blowoff but am concerned since I only have a siphon hose which I basically will shove in the rubber bung where the airlock goes. It worked with my 3787 but am not too sure if this could be bad if it is more of a nutcase yeast.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Hi Blakie,

I plan to do something very similar in a week or so, brew a Weizen and then pitch a Weizenbock on to a cup of the yeast slurry. The recipe I have come up with is a ******* of a few I have read and some fiddling on the Kit+Extract Spreadsheet which you can download of this site.

The recipe is as follows:

2 x Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt
1kg dry wheat malt
200g Special B
200g Light Crystal
100g Carafa 1
50g choc wheat
500g dextrose
45g Tettanger, 60min boil

Ferment at 17degC, may have to lift the temp at the end to get attenuation. The spec malts are there to give some sort of malt complexity.

Hope that helps

Stew

Looks like a decent recipe :).

Will be a nice way to get into using spec malts.

Cheers Stew!

I did a quick calculation on MrMalty (an online yeast pitching calculator) and it came up with about a cup. There are some differing opinions re: pitching onto an entire yeast cake.

Latest posts

Back