Weizen Questions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
I've got one in the ferm fridge for the last week at 17deg ramped it up to 19 deg for the last couple of days, it has now hit FG.
wondering if there is any point crash chilling a weizen after fermentation is complete?
Im wondering because a weizen naturally has suspended yeast.

also weizens are often drank fresh, how fresh is fresh one week in the corny??

any advice?? cheers

Drink it as fresh as you can get it is my tip. I usually pour off some into unprimed PET bottles before it reaches FG, and enjoy it ultra-fresh a few days later. That can be as little as a week from pitching to drinking.

Weizen is the one beer I wouldn't CC or fine. I do still give the yeast a bit of a rest before bottling though.

I bottle but fresh for me is as soon as it's carbed.

I love a Weizen, I don't bother crash chilling. I bottle at the end of fermentation (around 7 days). Last batch I tried after only 7 days in bottles and it was pretty aweful, I was worried but after 10 days in bottles it tasted great! I am particularly careful to avoid aeration with my weizens as I want them to last as long as possible in bottles, they begin to oxidize pretty quickly.

+ 1 to the above replies , don't crash chill unless your brewing a Krystalweizen and drink fresh as possible ,weizens don't age well as for me i'm drinking leftovers out of the fermenter after i keg mmmmmm fresh weizen fermenter beer :icon_drool2:

I'm experimenting with this atm.

I think there is a way to get your weizen to have all those delicious flavours 6 months after you bottle it ... let it carb up and then "homemade tunnel :unsure: " pasteurise it (in the bottle @ 65C for 5-10 minutes (PET with adequate headspace)) to kill the yeast and prevent them eating up all the delicious flavours.

I'm doing this with a few 1.25L bottles of a weizen I bottled today.

Not sure if it'll work, but I think this might be the reason so many of the commercial weizens have dead yeast in them. A 6 month old Pauliner is still freakin tasty.

Just a guess.

what about filtering and then re-seeding with a dry lager yeast or something that stores well?

what about filtering and then re-seeding with a dry lager yeast or something that stores well?

I thought they used a lager yeast because the actual yeast tasted better. Is is because it stores better?

A lot of the hefes even the lager yeast is dead. Leads me to think that killing the yeast might be the only way to preserve the phenolics and esters.

I thought they used a lager yeast because the actual yeast tasted better. Is is because it stores better?

A lot of the hefes even the lager yeast is dead. Leads me to think that killing the yeast might be the only way to preserve the phenolics and esters.

AFAIK its a little from column A, a little from Column B. Cleaner yeast palate (especially after removing all the hop oils from the yeast) and storage stability.

Latest posts

Back