Weisbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kippertaylor

Reaction score
Hi,
I was given a recipe of 2.5 kg pilsner and 2.5 kg wheat, got some Wyeast 3068 but never I got much more than that, Looking at maybe 25 grams Halletuer at 60 mins would this be ok or what would you recommend and also i am wondering about what temps and times to mash and boil at? I have never done a wheat beer but I love drinking it on these warm days. Im not a big fan of the strong bannana flavour so what temp should I be aiming for my fermenting fridge to be running at? Any advise would be appreciated.

I'm about to do that exact recipe.

Mash at 67 for 60 mins

Ferment at 17deg for less banana, I however will be fermenting at 20.... mmm banana!

Great thanks for that, hope it turns out good for you.have you tried this one before?Should that temp I after be the fridge stat setting or what the actual beer temp is, seems like a few degrees makes a big difference to this type of beer.

37° C for 20 min (ferulic acid rest -> phenolics)
50°C for 15-20 min (Protein rest)
63°C for 60 min (sacc rest)

Using W3608, start a culture of about 2 litres and pitch/ferment at 17 - 18°C.
More yeast pitched should make less esters (shorter growth period to achieve require yeast numbers). Aerate as much as you can, to minimise esters (from here)

Yeah i did this recipe a few weeks ago using munich yeast and it turned out rubbish.... however it was the first brew on my 1v system and i think there may have been some weld pickling paste left somewhere that stuffed things up. Although munich may not be the perfect yeast i cant believe it would make it taste that bad! I'm about to pour out half of that batch...

Thanks Les that's going to be really useful, i will give that a mash a crack, would u recommend a 60 min boil or longer?
Matplat what a bigger,hope this next one turns out great would love to know how it turns out. There so many things to learn around brewing, if science at school was this interesting I might have shown up more often.

In Germany, according the Warner book (German Wheat Beer -Classic Beer Style Series), wheat beer should be boiled for 90-120 minutes and then whirlpooled (if available) to remove the hot break/ hot trub.

Les the Weizguy said:
In Germany, according the Warner book (German Wheat Beer -Classic Beer Style Series), wheat beer should be boiled for 90-120 minutes and then whirlpooled (if available) to remove the hot break/ hot trub.
Interesting, is that for all styles of wheat?

Les, do you recall why the long boil time, what does it do vs a 60min?

Jamil Zainasheff agrees with Les. .. 90min boil is recommended in 'brewing classic styles' to "reduce DMS in the beer"

I thought it was about removing all the protein break, due to the wheat. (German weizen is 60-70% wheat malt), although there is no legislated minmum iirc

Would just like to say thanks for all the advice. This brew had turned out great,best brew to date. Tastes great. Was worried I over carbed at near 4 volumes but it's turned fine with a great white foamy head that lasts till ur glass is near empty.I can't see it being long until this batch is all drunk. Will be starting a fresh brew very soon

Les the Weizguy said:
More yeast pitched should make less esters (shorter growth period to achieve require yeast numbers). Aerate as much as you can, to minimise esters (from here)
Correct on the aeration but I recently found at a course in the US that in fact a smaller pitch should reduce esters - seems illogical when we think about "stressed" yeast and I know it's a commonly held view. Perhaps it stems from the other issues that can come from am low pitch - eg higher alcohols - that can have a taste effect similar to esters

I've always low pitched my hefe, but since found that's probably only decreasing esters!

Short lay explanation on this: while yeast is growing, the stuff what makes esters is busy making yeast grow.

Longer explanations:
http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/yeast-growth
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Experiment_Pitching_Rate_and_Oxygenation (see pitching rate section and "common misconception" reference from Fix)

Back