Weirdest Thing You've Plopped Into The Fermentor?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
creamed corn in beer YUCK...
I have always wanted to try black jelly beans...
Banana beer is meant to be quite nice, ROSS????

I put fennel in once... it was a wheat beer ended up tasting like curry!

Has any one done a pumpkin beer? all the go in the states!

A mate of mine here makes a pumpkin beer pretty sure it took out the specialty calss in SABSOSA 2007.

KHB

Hahahaha... top quality story newguy. Puts a whole new spin on being "shit faced"! :lol:

spillmostofit has done a pumpkin beer. i think it was a split effort between himself and ThirstyBoy?

McKenry - corn syrup is what the yanks call maltodex.

anywhooo.

mine woould have to be vegimite. Back when a mate and me started homebrewing (we were 17 so give us a break), for some reason we thought vegimite would enhance the flavour of a batch. thanks christ we only added a few table spoons. i guess all that table sugar anf fusile alc from brewqing at mid temps must have scrubbed the taste out!

This weekend a jar of Promite's going in.

I've used (on separate occasions mostly);

Strawberry & Raspberry Preserve
Honey
Vanilla
Banana Chips
Fruit Peels
Herbs

It's tempting to add a bag of skittles and make 'skittlebrau', but perhaps that's not so wise. I've known a winemaker that made Ouzo with black jellybeans for colour.

McKenry - corn syrup is what the yanks call maltodex.

anywhooo.

here is my original post. Did I get something wrong or did you not read it?

A mate of my brothers used to put all kinds of stuff in his brews. I remember Licorice sticks, bananas, apricot jam and lime cordial. But the worst one he ever did was put a whole tin of creamed corn in! I was ok(ish) about the other stuff, but when quizzed on the creamed corn he fessed up and told me that someone else had told him corn syrup was the go

note for any newbies - loosely - corn syrup is a common name for maltodextrin (a corn starch powder

I dry hopped my weatherstation (barometer, thermometer & clock).

It stayed there the whole ferment. Now the clock doesn't work

InCider.

I have always wanted to try black jelly beans...

Katie

A mate of mine primed his bottles of stout with black jelly babies (not beans) and it was beautiful. Give it a go in a couple of stubbies next time (one per stubbie).
Cheers
Steve

Katie

A mate of mine primed his bottles of stout with black jelly babies (not beans) and it was beautiful. Give it a go in a couple of stubbies next time (one per stubbie).
Cheers
Steve
I heard Chickos are good too in stout if you prime the bottle with them.

Sully

I dry hopped my weatherstation (barometer, thermometer & clock).

It stayed there the whole ferment. Now the clock doesn't work

InCider.
Just checking the temp were we??? :lol:

Cheers, Andrew.

I am planning a stout with Portarlington Mussels. Based on what I've heard... 120-130g in the last 10 mins of a 20 litre boil is devine!

Don't know about that boiling mussels in beer and eating them looks a more promising outcome.

BTW Those empty bottles of olives make handy storage jars for yeast rescued from the fermenter after a brew.

A frozen chicken and a choked kitten in a zip lock bag to chill the brew and make the airlock understand its duty :)

Well, heres one thats gonna make yu go ick.
I was doing all my brews in the kitchen up until lately when I got a 3 ring burner etc allowing me to do it all in the shed.
I brewed up an amber ale and after cooling the (partial) in a tub of ice water with lid on, tipped it into the fermenter that had measured amout of water to make up the final volume.
Stirred the allmighty out of it, and reached for the yeast.

WHAT THE

Something is wriggling in the foam. I pull it out, and its a cockroach, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well that was a few weeks ago, and the amber ale was fine, and its all gone but for a few bottles. I labelled them cochroach ale
I am still stuffed if I know how it got in there , but suspect the stirring spoon that was sitting for a while before I used it.

sorry if that causes nightmares for anyone :lol:

Katie

Cheers
Steve

Katie, be sure to use all male black jelly babies if you want that little bit more carbination :p

I have a few stories.

One was a stout i made a few years back. After i had it in the fermenter with the yeast i was cleaning out the kettle and there were all these funny meaty chunks in the bottom.

They were boiled Slugs!

The stout was a ripper!

Another......... A couple of years ago when the mash paddle was a Robust porter, i used to talk to Ash in Perth a lot about brewing when he was starting out on MSN messenger.

I sent him a bottle of my porter i brewed for the comp (and never got to enter because of moving house) and he said it was great............ except for the great big huntsman spider he found in the bottle after he finnished.

OOPS!

Another: a mate i used to work with. Hes ex father in law was into brewing and made a mean coopers lager aparently. My work mate went there for a BBQ one day and poured him self a beer from a bottle, drank and enjoyed and was half way through pouring the second glass when the beer stopped comming out.

On closer inspection there was a dead mouse blocking the bottle neck!

Ooooooooooooo yuck.......... that one really gets me.

All true stories!

cheers

Katie, be sure to use all male black jelly babies if you want that little bit more carbination :p

Oh this is really distasteful and please forgive me. Will probably get me moderated.

Will the female Jelly babies give the beer a yeast infection?

Told yas!

Timing till deletion!

I have a few stories.

One was a stout i made a few years back. After i had it in the fermenter with the yeast i was cleaning out the kettle and there were all these funny meaty chunks in the bottom.

They were boiled Slugs!

The stout was a ripper!

Another......... A couple of years ago when the mash paddle was a Robust porter, i used to talk to Ash in Perth a lot about brewing when he was starting out on MSN messenger.

I sent him a bottle of my porter i brewed for the comp (and never got to enter because of moving house) and he said it was great............ except for the great big huntsman spider he found in the bottle after he finnished.

OOPS!

Another: a mate i used to work with. Hes ex father in law was into brewing and made a mean coopers lager aparently. My work mate went there for a BBQ one day and poured him self a beer from a bottle, drank and enjoyed and was half way through pouring the second glass when the beer stopped comming out.

On closer inspection there was a dead mouse blocking the bottle neck!

Ooooooooooooo yuck.......... that one really gets me.

All true stories!

cheers

Now, I am gonna have nightmares :blink:

Latest posts

Back