Weirdest Thing You've Plopped Into The Fermentor?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
I noticed this week over a few post us brewers seem to drop some pretty weird, wonderful and funky stuff into the fermentor. There has been mention of whole chickens cooked, frozen and raw plopped in as well as a glass eye lost, kafir lime leaves, various roots of medicinal plants and on and on.

So it's time to fess up to what weird sh#t have you dropped into the ferment?

:ph34r:

Kit yeast
Coopers Brew Enchancer

:ph34r:

:icon_cheers: SJ

weed. but we should of waited till primary was done.

weed. but we should of waited till primary was done.

Oh you mean dandelions and so forth. That's what you're talking about, isn't it Fents? Fents?

Only do the gardening with your ales in secondary.

My false teeth once fell in. Luckily they'd just been sterilised, so I didn't have to worry. Had a bitch of a time eating steak for the next two weeks tho.

Warren -

mr.hanky.jpg

its a fair effort. you have to soak it in water for about 5 days and change the water daily, gets rid of all the shit. once the water starts staying clear you just dry hop it in the fermenter. we put it in primary but as i said would defiantly rack the brew and dry hop it in secondary.

read this, its where i got the info from. http://www.onr.com/user/liberty/Marijuana/MBeer/MBeer.html

edit - ours was a 8% ale. hard to drink imo.

its a fair effort. you have to soak it in water for about 5 days and change the water daily, gets rid of all the shit. once the water starts staying clear you just dry hop it in the fermenter. we put it in primary but as i said would defiantly rack the brew and dry hop it in secondary.

read this, its where i got the info from. http://www.onr.com/user/liberty/Marijuana/MBeer/MBeer.html

edit - ours was a 8% ale. hard to drink imo.

:eek: So the "skunk" was not from lightstrike I assume?

Warren -

Probably a tie between port wine magnolia flowers and a brigalow finishing hop tablet............... I should have just gone with Mr Hankey, but you live and you learn.

A small pocket knife! I use a little button magnet to stick to my stir bar through the flask so it does not drop in, had my knife on top of the fermenter and when I put the flask down on top of the ferment, the knife stuck to it. Picked the flask up and the knife dropped straight through the hole in the ferment, no net!!!!

Ruined the knife, strange enough the beer was not infected when I racked it after primary.

A mate of my brothers used to put all kinds of stuff in his brews. I remember Licorice sticks, bananas, apricot jam and lime cordial. But the worst one he ever did was put a whole tin of creamed corn in! I was ok(ish) about the other stuff, but when quizzed on the creamed corn he fessed up and told me that someone else had told him corn syrup was the go :lol: :lol:

note for any newbies - loosely - corn syrup is a common name for maltodextrin (a corn starch powder)

All this talk about weird stuff in the fermenter reminded me of a heartwarming story I heard from a friend long ago. I thought Id share

Darcys uncles all used to make what he called bread wine. The wine itself was made of fruit, fruit juice, sometimes potatoes and rhubarb, sugar, and bakers yeast. All the ingredients were put into a 5 gallon pail, then covered with slices of bread. The pail was placed in the closet and allowed to ferment and settle. The wine was consumed straight from the pail by simply dipping your cup. When one uncles batch was done, the rest of them would get together and, well, get pissed.

The day Darcy told me about happened long ago. He was maybe 8 or 9 years old. He was over at his uncles house playing with his cousins. This uncle did not have indoor plumbing, by the way.

His uncle and his uncles brothers and brothers in law were all in the dining room, tying into the latest batch of this wine. Half drunk, his uncle yells to his wife, WOMAN!!!! Bring us more wine!

A few minutes later, his wife emerges from the kitchen holding the nearly empty wine pail and laughing uncontrollably. What the HELL are you laughing at?

She tipped the pail so they could all see a kid-sized turd floating intact at the bottom. All of the previously boisterous men at the table fell silent. His uncles face slowly turned red, then he bellowed WHO SHIT IN MY WINE?!!?

Darcys cousin innocently replied I had a poop last night Daddy.

CMERE! [Whack] [Whack]

At this point, Darcy felt it wise to go home. Run home actually.

Like I mentioned, there was no plumbing in the house. For night, they had a honey pail which they kept in the closet. You figure out what happened. The moral of the story? Open fermenter = shitty result. ;)

And yes, it's a true story.

A mate of my brothers used to put all kinds of stuff in his brews. I remember Licorice sticks, bananas, apricot jam and lime cordial. But the worst one he ever did was put a whole tin of creamed corn in! I was ok(ish) about the other stuff, but when quizzed on the creamed corn he fessed up and told me that someone else had told him corn syrup was the go :lol: :lol:

note for any newbies - loosely - corn syrup is a common name for maltodextrin (a corn starch powder)

creamed corn in beer YUCK...
I have always wanted to try black jelly beans...
Banana beer is meant to be quite nice, ROSS????

I put fennel in once... it was a wheat beer ended up tasting like curry!

Has any one done a pumpkin beer? all the go in the states!

Back