Weird Keg Help...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malnourished

Reaction score
keg_lid.JPG
Folks,

I've tried searching the archives for an answer to this but to no avail.

A friend (hi if you're reading this Chris!) very generously gave me an old 3 gallon keg, but I'm having some problems with the pressure release valve and the lid, which are both different to what I'm accustomed to. I've attached a photo to make it a bit easier to explain.

Firstly, I can't figure out the pressure release valve (the fitting in the picture that I haven't removed.) I can't for the life of me figure out how to bleed the pressure through that thing! The only thing that pops to mind is that it's not a pressure release valve like the usual black plastic, flip-top ones but it's an automatic one that releases pressure to stop the keg exploding at very high pressures. Is that it, or am I just stupid?

Secondly, I can't get the lid off. It looks like it's just a matter of twisting and pulling it out, but it appears to not have been opened in many a year so it isn't budging. I figure it's got to be some kind of screw in, threaded thing to keep the lid from just popping out when it's under pressure, but up close it doesn't look like it at all. Is there some kind of tool that will help me budge this thing?

I'm pretty useless with anything that involves tools etc. so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nice score Malnourished. :beerbang:

I'd say the relief valve would be lifted. Example; the pin going horizontally across the top of the valve. Try pulling lightly upwards on it with some needle-nose pliers.

If this doesn't work try turning the pin clockwise or anti clockwise. My money's on it lifting though. Don't worry about pressure obviously seeing that the posts have already been yanked out.

As for the lid? Maybe a couple of light taps on the horizonal bar with a hammer and screwdriver with a rag over the sharp edge. Counter clockwise of course. This may get it started enough to become finger tight say. :lol:

Good luck with it. I'd say a good soak with napisan will be in order.

Warren -

I'd second what warren has suggested.

I would think that pressure relief valve would pull up to release. A good possibility is that it once had a black plastic lever on it (like the current ones do) but the plastic has been broken off and now long gone. The spring will most likely be quite powerful, I'd imagine, seeing as you have no mechanical advantage anymore to lift it (that's the purpose of the plastic lever, if you look at how the levers are designed you can see they have a good mechanical advantage design).

If you can get it to budge or disassemble it you may be able to substitute that horizontal bar for a split ring or something else that allows you to grab it.

It looks like it might be an old Rheem or Mytton-Rodd keg.

I'll say that lid definitely screws off. They have an oring under them as well, it might be stuffed so you may have to talk to Craig Deacon at Keg Systems to get parts or go to an oring shop to get a replacement.

Also try getting a shifter to enguage on the lid and see if you can use the leverage from that to start it moving. I can't quite see how much you have to work with regarding the little handle bit in the lid. Otherwise try Warrens method.

Cheers and good luck.
Justin

Ah-ha, a Rheem Coke keg :)

Removing the lid:
Take a medium sized shifting spanner and place into the indent in the lid. Tighten until both jaws are touching the part that goes across the middle of the lid.
Apply both downward force and anticlockwise twisting motions simultaneously...out shell come :beer:

PZ.

Got the lid off yet?
I have one with the same lid, got it stuck a few times and thought i'd be there for hours trying to get it off but eventually got the *******. The shifter is a good idea but i found a nice big pair of multi grip type pliers attached to the handle part in the middle and try to turn the bugger, the longer the handle on the pliers the easier it should be to turn it around.

Good luck, with the pressure valve if its not leaking i'd leave it as is, i don't even have one on one of mine, if you want to relieve some pressure you can just press in the middle of the gas in post.

Alcohol fueled brewtality
Jayse

Thanks heaps guys! Nice guesses too - it's a Rheem :)

On the pressure relief valve: I did try lifting it up to no avail (that spring is TIGHT) but not twisting it. I'll play around with it a bit more, but if it doesn't work I could always replace it with a standard "gas in" poppet and bleed by pressing on the middle bit with a screwdriver or something.

On the lid: I did try it with a shifter, but I didn't try pushing downwards at the same time. I'll have a crack tonight and report back.

And yes, it sure will need a good clean. It smells like it had a rather vintage stout in it last, and now that it's sitting in my backyard open to the elements it can only get a whole lot funkier. Plus one of the plastic washers on the poppets had completely disintegrated!

Can't wait to fill this baby up!

I have had the same problem with the lid, easy just put the shifter jaws around the bar on the lid, and attach another shifter onto that at right angles and turn! Lid off!

In fact I still have to do that wth my Rheem kegs.
I hate trying to open them after a brew.
There IS a special tool to open them but are hard to find.
For me it is a shifter spanner and a plumbers wrench, like Kramer does.

Spare parts (O-rings, plastic washers for the posts and replacement pressure valves) are still to be found, so it's worth getting it all fixed.
You probably will find the safety valve is just gummed up and once it is off, soak and clean it in hot napisan. If the spring really is stuffed, just replace it and don't do a bodgy.

I reckon a small G-Clamp would probably work well on the lid too. Just tighten it into the middle bar and turn.

Warren -

For the relief valve, put a fork under it, very easy

Top thread. I have one of these kegs also and i could never get the top off it.... Will use the info provided. Much appreciated.

Malnourished said:
Secondly, I can't get the lid off. It looks like it's just a matter of twisting and pulling it out, but it appears to not have been opened in many a year so it isn't budging.
[post="103216"][/post]​
I've got a 45L Rheem keg that has the same kind of lid.
I use the kind of pliers that can be held closed by twisting the screw in the handle.
So I place them over the lid handle, tighten the screw and twist the lid open. It works great.
Pict2099_test.jpg

As for the relief valve, mine uses the "120 PSI Relief Valve" that you can see for sale at The Country Brewer. It's just a case of flicking to the left or right.
http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/category71_1.htm
Scroll down, it's the second last item. They also have the Rheem o-rings for the lid.

Thanks to you all for the help!

Last night I did the old shifter-on-shifter trick and it came almost straight off! I'm kind of embarrased at how easy it all was!

Normell - great suggestion. That's my kind of tool! Only what size fork do you recommend? On all of mine the teeth aren't far enough apart :huh:

Thanks again guys!

I have made up a tool to make removal of those lids easier. Will post a picture in the next day. I may be able to make a few more up if people want them.

C&B
TDA

Here it is. A simple two pin tool really.

And here is my take on the screw top lid remover. A piece of 40mm pipe with two notches cut into the end to fit over the handle of the lid and a piece of 13mm pipe for a handle.

cheers

Browndog

DSC00626.JPG

Latest posts

Back