Wee Heavy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbie

Reaction score
Picked up some Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale on the weekend so thinking about doing a Wee Heavy.

My recipe idea

Maris Otter 97.9%
Roasted Barley 2.1%
Fuggles 30gram @ 60min 6.1% to 24IBU

Mash 69c 60min
120min boil

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

I am using Fuggles as that is what I have it stock, but would get something different if that was a bit out of style.

On the other hand we still have a month or so of hot weather to come so I may do something with the Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit that I picked up at the same time.

Yeah but i have 1084. According to Wyeast it is to style. I will also be using it in a Porter or Stout.

If you already have the roast barly, fine, but I find a really nice darkening and smoky malt is Carafa T3. Black of the ace of spades so handle carefully but it's a great colour enhancer for Scottish Ales. Also, surprisingly, it's de-husked and you can thrash it around to your heart's content without worrying about tannins.

I have a personal theory that before the development of railways, Scotland would have probably used Kent hops for the simple reason that there was a huge coastal trade along the North Sea coast in coal from Scottish and North East England coal mines. Capt. Cook's Endeavour was a converted Whitby collier. Just as today, captains would always be on the lookout for back loading opportunities, and most Kent hops are grown within short distance of the coast, Kent being a peninsula.

Just my feeling having grown up there. Fuggles came from Herefordshire which in those days was fairly inaccessible before the railways.

However once rail came in it was open to all bets I suppose.

Latest posts

Back