Saving a Wee Heavy that hasn't started fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a Wee Heavy on the weekend with an SG of 1.098. I built up a multi stage yeast starter of Wyeast 1928 Scottish Ale yeast before the brew day and I noticed there wasn't much activity in terms of krausen/bubbles on the stir plate. I hadn't used this yeast before though so I thought nothing of it.

I pitched at 10am on Saturday. It's been three days and there has been no activity at all (well, no bubbles in the blow off tube). I suspect bad yeast or that I killed the yeast somehow in the starter process. I can't think how though.

What are the chances of salvaging something from this brew? I can go out this afternoon and pick up some dried yeast and pitch it. I haven't got much experience with dried yeast. Is there one that would work with a high gravity Wee Heavy?

Thanks.

At worst dump it back in the kettle ,heat to a simmer for a few minutes, cube it and wait until you have the right yeast ready. Sort of re-no-chill.
Mark

MHB. Love that idea! That's exactly what I'll do.

@razz - First stage starter was 2L @ 1.036 for 32 hours. Second stage was exactly the same.

I then stored the starter in fridge for a few days and spun it in 600ml 1.036 for four hours before pitching. This was a "vitality starter" to make up for my lack of O2.

Latest posts

Back