Wee Heavy. Anyone Done One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Giant

Reaction score
The December edition of that Beer mag had a simple K&K recipe for a Wee Heavy.

1 x Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 x Amber Extract Can
Kit yeast or English Ale yeast at 18 degrees for about 2 weeks

Anyone done a Wee Heavy or this recipe?

Any suggestions to make it better or anything not to do?

Was thinking about doing some hop additions but have done a lot of hoppy beers of late and really want to do a malty beer. Was thinking of putting it down tonight but think I might wait until the weekend when I can buy some English Ale yeast.

Cheers

Thanks Muddy, what kind of flavours did u get from it? Looking for that nice malty caramally kind of flavours

To be honest dont have that much experience of the scotch ales but want to try something new

Although not the Sparkling I recently kegged this:

1 Coopers English Bitter
1 Coopers Amber Malt Extract
20gm fuggles for 5 mins and;
S-04 yeast

Not really a wee heavy either... but on tasting between transfering it to the keg and a nice subtle malt undertone..

i reckon recultured coopers yeast would go well with this, ferment at 16-17C

if you do a google you'll find a few threads on it. I do it like this

Boil 1.5L of water with 150g of malt extract. Pour around 30mls of this wort into a sanitised shot glass, cover with alfoil. Pour the rest into one sanitised tallie and 2 sanitised stubbies, seal with foil and a rubber band.

Get a stubbie of coopers pale ale and store it upright in the fridge. Pour out the beer into a glass being careful not to disturb the yeast at the bottom. The yeast stays in the bottle!

Pour the 30mls of wort (in the shot glass) into the coopers stubbie, seal with alfoil. The next day fill the coopers stubbie to halfway with some of the wort from one of the stubbies. Throw the rest of the wort away.

2 days later transfere the yeast from the coopers stubbie into a 2L plastic bottle. Add another stubbie of wort.
2 days later add a tallie of wort.
2 days later whack in the fridge.
All the yeast will go to the bottom. Pour off the beer and then use this yeast for 23L brew.

Other people use a 6packs worth of yeast, this method works for me though. I make coopers yeast all the time, can't remember having an infected one yet.

BTW, i'm not sure if using coopers yeast would make a wee heavy, i just reckon it would be a nice brew.

The Giant said:
Thanks Muddy, what kind of flavours did u get from it? Looking for that nice malty caramally kind of flavours

To be honest dont have that much experience of the scotch ales but want to try something new

It definately has a nice carmally flavour to it. The recipe was devised to replicate Coopers Aberdeen Scotch Ale which can best be described in their own words....

Aberdeen Scotch Ale made by Coopers exclusively for and fermented at the Earl of Aberdeen hotel late 80s to early 90s. It was known as a darker version of Sparkling Ale with notes of coffee and caramel.

Go the extra and get some w1728 scottish yeast
:icon_cheers:
Would be awsome in that beer

Latest posts

Back