We are being ripped off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I choose kidless

Wise man.

I think Australians have themselves to blame for high beer prices. If there weren't so many beer swilling bogan **** knuckles around then the government wouldn't have such an easy excuse for high tax rates on beer. It seems the only way Australian government know how to even try to curb unwanted behaviour is to make that behaviour more expensive.

That and the government is too spineless and/or corrupt to actually collect tax from those who earn the most so have to scrape up some revenue from the working class plebs.

Probably repeating what has been said.

Wise man.

I think Australians have themselves to blame for high beer prices. If there weren't so many beer swilling bogan **** knuckles around then the government wouldn't have such an easy excuse for high tax rates on beer. It seems the only way Australian government know how to even try to curb unwanted behaviour is to make that behaviour more expensive.

That and the government is too spineless and/or corrupt to actually collect tax from those who earn the most so have to scrape up some revenue from the working class plebs.

Probably repeating what has been said.
None of the **** knuckles in Alice or Brokenhill drink beer mate, it's a 4L cask.

8.jpg

lol when i googled Easter egg packaging

The only problem with putting in WET-style tax relief on beer would be that - you can just picture it can't you - the megabreweries would start up thousands of small breweries that all produce the same carb-free mid-strength that they already do.

So the only way around it that I can think of it would be an inverse hop tax, i.e. the more hops you put in, the less tax you pay.

The only problem with putting in WET-style tax relief on beer would be that - you can just picture it can't you - the megabreweries would start up thousands of small breweries that all produce the same carb-free mid-strength that they already do.

The megaswill wineries already tried that one*, so the law was changed to tighten the definition of independent entity.

*Substitute warm climate Pinot Gris for mid strength beer and you get the picture. Actually that says a lot about the drinks market in Oz.

Actually that says a lot about the drinks market in Oz.
we are so far behind the US and UK in regards to choice of locally produced beers it is actually quite sad. there are at least 10 brewers than i know of within warwickshire in the UK. compare that with 3 adjoining shires here (closest equivelent of a county) Latrobe-1 (grand ridge mirboo) Baw Baw-nil and cardinia-1 (howler lang lang).

Combine that with the fact we pay round $5 ea for a pot of synthetically brewed mega-swill and its becomes pretty obvious taste isn’t one of our main priorities!

Last edited:
And the thread comes full circle. Thank you. Wouldn't it be great to be a beerhunter here in Australia without the need of a god-damn telescope.

Edit: OK on reflection I didn't mention brewery spatial density originally, but neither did I mention halal meat.

None of the **** knuckles in Alice or Brokenhill drink beer mate, it's a 4L cask.
Oi! I'm from Broken Hill!
Well, I suppose I am a fuckknuckle, even a bogan beer swilling fuckknuckle, but...
I haven't drank goon since Primary school.
Enough generalising.
How expensive is beer hey?

Latest posts

Back