Toohey's liquid brewing sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NewtownClown said:
Caro is a roasted grain and chicory coffee substitute

Karo is corn syrup (0% HFCS)
Ok. I have seen Karo I woolies then.
Can you get Caro in woollies? Might be interesting in a porter. ;)

wynnum1 said:
North American Free Trade Agreement
NAFTA
Cargill Inc. has taken the Mexican government to a federal court, arguing that Mexico has failed to pony up a $95 million award stemming from a free-trade dispute.
The Minnetonka-based agribusiness giant and the Mexican government have had a long-running dispute over trade barriers that Cargill claims have hurt its high-fructose corn syrup business.
The Trans-Pacific Partnership
TPP
Better get used to that US HFCS.

Better get used to your posts making less and less sense as time goes on it seems.

The thread is about Tooheys liquid brewing sugar which is very unlikely to be high fructose corn syrup, contain mercury or be anything to do with the North American free trade agreement to which you refer.

If it is and if those things are relevant, please provide some concrete information rather than really, really vague speculative waffle about not much.

Thanks.

Fair go, Manticle.
I thought I was the main conspiracy theorist on the forum but I bequeath my tinfoil crown to Wynnum.

Now back on topic.

If this sugar is made from starch(corn) than it may explain the whole 'we don't use sugar in our beer' argument.
Its sugar, but its not.
May well be worth a try in a lager when the season rolls around, likely to give a better result than dex to lighten the body

Text I stole from the Internet

Sugar is the generalized name for sweet, short-chain, soluble carbohydrates, many of which are used in food. They are carbohydrates, composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. There are various types of sugar derived from different sources. Simple sugars are called monosaccharides and include glucose (also known as dextrose), fructose and galactose. The table or granulated sugar most customarily used as food issucrose, a disaccharide. (In the body, sucrose hydrolyses into fructose and glucose.) Other disaccharides include maltose and lactose. Longer chains of sugars are called oligosaccharides. Chemically-different substances may also have a sweet taste, but are not classified as sugars. Some are used as lower-caloriefood substitutes for sugar described as artificial sweeteners.
Sugars are found in the tissues of most plants, but are present in sufficient concentrations for efficient extraction only in sugarcane and sugar beet.[citation needed] Sugarcane refers to any of several species of giant grass in the genus Saccharum that have been cultivated in tropical climates in South Asia and Southeast Asiasince ancient times. A great expansion in its production took place in the 18th century with the establishment of sugar plantations in the West Indies and Americas. This was the first time that sugar became available to the common people, who had previously had to rely on honey to sweeten foods. Sugar beet, a cultivated variety of Beta vulgaris, is grown as a root crop in cooler climates and became a major source of sugar in the 19th century when methods for extracting the sugar became available. Sugar production and trade have changed the course of human history in many ways, influencing the formation of colonies, the perpetuation of slavery, the transition to indentured labour, the migration of peoples, wars between sugar-trade–controlling nations in the 19th century, and the ethnic composition and political structure of the New World.

Very biased article as it purports to be about sugar but completely ignores HFCS - I have put in a request on the talk page.

Bribie G said:
I see that it's not to be used for bottle conditioning, that the ingredients list 100% "maize starch" and it's made at Speight's Brewery, Dunedin, UnZud.
Feldon said:
Corn syrup is a food syrup which is made from the starch of maize (called corn in some countries) and contains varying amounts of maltose and higher oligosaccharides, depending on the grade.
Sounds like it's corn syrup then.

Yup, probably not dissimilar to Chinese Maltose syrup that I've been using up to now. That's made from rice, but starch is starch. If so then the Tooheys is a good price.

maltose rice syrup.jpg

Bribie G said:
Very biased article as it purports to be about sugar but completely ignores HFCS - I have put in a request on the talk page.
It was from Wikipeadia. You can untie your knickers now

Yup, good old Wiki where I'm an editor (I wrote much of the page on Fosters Lager), you possibly can't see the "talk" page if you are using Android on a mobile, I think it only comes up viewed on a PC.

Back