Water Or Grain First?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubleplugga

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Well I have finally got all my equipment sorted out and am ready to do my first all grain beer. Just have one question, that I am finding different answers for in various books. When mashing do I have the water in my mash tun already and then add the grain or grain in first and then water?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Scotty

Personal preference mate. My pref is a few inchs of strike water, grain, then rest of strikewater.
Have fun.
Cheers

Thanks mate. I will probably do that first time. Like everyone says it is just a case of brew and learn I guess.

Thanks again

Hi Guys,
Well I have finally got all my equipment sorted out and am ready to do my first all grain beer. Just have one question, that I am finding different answers for in various books. When mashing do I have the water in my mash tun already and then add the grain or grain in first and then water?

Scotty

Do a search mate, this has been done to death. For my set up its water first with 72C for ales and 69C for lagers

As said, whatever works best for you. I always preferred grain first then strike water underlet.

However I've also found that if the grist if coarsely milled then it doesn't matter what method I use.

Hi Guys,

Scotty

Hi scotty,

It is true that this topic has been discussed before and it is a matter of personal preferrence.

I look at it this way. The mash tun is around room temperature to start with. Adding strike water to the grain already in the mash tun, will quickly lose heat unless the mash tun (and grain) is already pre-heated. Then you have to keep adding hot water to the mash to get the right temp. While you're doing this, the hot air escapes with the lid off. Then when you put the lid back on, some of the heat in the mash tun is being used to warm the walls of the tun. No matter how many blankets, doonas or sleeping bags you wrap around the thing, all things inside must equilibriate.

For my first AG brew, I'll try the other method of adding the water at a few degrees (maybe 8) above strike temp and check it in about 15 minutes to see how much it has dropped. By that time, my mash tun (fully insulated esky) may be close to the strike temp + 4-6 deg. If not, a quick adjustment then pour in the grain, quick stir and seal.

Just my 2c worth.

w

Every beer forum I've seen has several discussions of this.

Check, read them, and then if anything is unclear - ask. You'll find good answers then.

On second thoughts- it wasn't long ago that I made the jump to AG and I had six million stupid questions, none of which were probably new so:

I don't think it matters. Palmer suggests water first then grain, something to do with thermal shock. When I started I was the opposite - water first, then grain - mainly so I knew I'd shut off the tap.

Now I preheat the tun, then add ~1/3 strike water, 1/3 grain and repeat. I adjust strike temp if slightly off with either cool water or an immersion element.

It isn't something to get too bogged down by though - both will work.

I add all my strike water to my esky mash tun first at about 10 degrees above strike temp then put the lid on and leave it for 10min or so. Usually the temp gauge will drop a bit as the mash tun absorbs some of the heat, if it's still above strike temp I give it a stir until the water hits strike temp bang on. Then I add the grain and give it a good stir. I hit my mash temps within a degree everytime without adding hot/cold water etc.
Not sure if it's the absolute correct way to do it but it works for me.

Latest posts

Back