Water causing stainless steel rust?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has had a situation where their tap water has caused stainless steel damage. I've just brought a big stainless pot and after filling with water and boiling once it has rusted the pot around the weld immediately. I emptied it, dried it and treated with vinegar but it seems the damage is done. I'm wondering if there's something in the water that could cause this so rapidly or if I'm just outta luck with my purchase quality. In saying this I have a keggle that doesn't have a problem with our water.

If it is the water I'll get a filter straight away. Was looking at an aquaport full flow filter - any feedback on this one? It's only a single filter setup.

Cheers

Newts

It's an issue with the pot, I would talk to the supplier

definitely a dodgy weld. as per QldKev

Poor quality stainless or poor quality weld or poor post weld treatment.

Either way you have a bad pot.

Thanks for the quick replies guys,

I'm so pissed right now. I purchased a cheapo 50L pot trying to make the jump to full volume and try my hand at all grain - the arse end of that one rusted out in a week. Got back half my money for that one and settled on it cause I drilled a hole in it.

Then I made the leap and thought I'd buy a bigger far more expensive one expecting quality - made sure I got them to drill the hole due to the previous pot. "This pot will last you a lifetime of brewing"... Best part is cause I'm in the country it was 85 bucks postage or wait a month for a friend to bring it by car. Wait a month and she's a dud. Fantastic :/

Cheers guys, I'll get onto them again - just wanted to make sure it's definitely not my fault before I possibly go off my nut at someone.

Newts

It's not your fault. Go off your tree :)

I has the same thing happen with a cheap chinese pot. I found that if you can see the seam / straight edge in the weld, there is likely to be a problem. At least that is my conclusion from 2 pots...

Not saying they must return your money, but if they do then Craftbrewer has some decent cheapish stainless pots and some decent postage rates, and could fill the pot with brew stuff at the time to make it more economical. It would be worth finding out what the postage is.

You would be wise to read up on your consumer rights. If they realise you know what you are talking about, they are less likely to argue. They knew what you wanted to use the item for. It should last a time you would expect an item of that quality to last. That is law not warranty.

Newts said:
Thanks for the quick replies guys,

I purchased a cheapo 50L pot trying to make the jump to full volume and try my hand at all grain
Yeah, go crazy! [really - you go to a $2 shop and the frame breaks you take it back?]

as above, look at your supplier but if you have changed or have moded it in any way... not one leg.

Lesson, buy right, buy once IMO.

1.24c

Rather than go nuts, try just talking to them and advising there's an issue. They may not be aware of it and an amicable solution may be easy to achieve.

Buy once, buy well. Saves a shitload of hassles in most cases.

Martin

Yeah will look at my rights. Cheers.

Yeah, dunno how much of that post you read Cocko. You quoted the first paragraph but the next paragraph says I purchased an expensive pot and the same thing happened. I can wear the first one but not the second. And by cheap I'm talking $130 for a 50L pot. Not quite the $2 shop.

The buy once buy right idea is okay if you know what right is. I thought this was quality but obviously not.

Newts

Stainless don't rust after one go, it shouldnt rust after a million brews. If it looks like rust on real stainless it's just an outa layer of gunk that'll shine right up with a little scrub.

Newts said:
Yeah will look at my rights. Cheers.

Yeah, dunno how much of that post you read Cocko. You quoted the first paragraph but the next paragraph says I purchased an expensive pot and the same thing happened. I can wear the first one but not the second. And by cheap I'm talking $130 for a 50L pot. Not quite the $2 shop.

The buy once buy right idea is okay if you know what right is. I thought this was quality but obviously not.

Newts
My bad, still my point stands:

You are not happy, contact supplier.

You have change the original in any way - no leg.

Sincerely, hope it works out mate.. not being smart - just pointing out reality.

4c.

Newts said:
made sure I got them to drill the hole due to the previous pot.
Is this fitting welded in like the previous one?

Is the whole pot rusting?

what materials ie stainless rods or wire were used to weld?

Got any pics?

Good stainless dont rust

Is this fitting welded in like the previous one?

Is the whole pot rusting?

what materials ie stainless rods or wire were used to weld?

Got any pics?

Good stainless dont rust

No fittings were welded. All weldless fittings.

Only a ring about an inch above the bottom of the pot is rusting. When I say on the weld I'm talking about the actual manufacturing of the pot. The only mod to the pot was the drilling of a hole for a weldless spigot which was drilled by the supplier.

I'll try upload some pics later

Cheers,

Newts

Oh a ring around the bottom sounds like a really poor quality pot, I've seen this before and it sounds like what those handy imports haters talk about.

Right arm left shoulder the pot, take it back. Worst a weld should do on stainless is lose it's magnetism, it shouldn't rust.

shaunous said:
Worst a weld should do on stainless is lose it's magnetism, it shouldn't rust.
Shouldn't be any magnetic grade stainless in the brewery. As far as I know the only magnetic stainless is what they make knives out of.

(not that I know that much… ;))

Latest posts

Back