Washing Beer Glasses?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 dishwasher then rinse before use.

edit: Morning Fresh Dishwasher Gel FTW.

I usually just rinse in hot water but if I want them really clean, I wash with hot water and some detergent, rinse well then spray with starsan.

I used to use vinegar which worked well but requires another rinse. Starsan doesn't.

I'm pretty sure the commercial glass washers in pubs and clubs just use hot water at about 85 deg C for about 3 minutes to ensure sanitation.

Incorrect. Back when I was in pubs (left in 2006) all glass washers I had used over the years had a reservoir that you filled with a special detergent that was designed for the purpose. Even with the use of this the glasses would develop a layer of grease over time from the customers hands/lips so we used to cleaning them weekly with a cleaning brush like this and some serious cleaning substance (was the only time I wore gloves, that shit would eat your nails clean off your hands)

GLASS-WASHING-BRUSH.jpg

As for washing glasses at home, I use a scourer and standard dishwashing liquid, I also only use the hot water (ours runs at roughly 80deg) and rinse them well after.

I just did a bit of an experiment. I put 2 nonics in the dishwasher, and i washed 2 with bicarb and scrubbing brush. I rinsed both with hot hot water. Then i had a koelsh in one of each. Both had good head retention, lacing and nice fine bubbles coming up from the bottom. Then i had a weizen in the other 2. Again, both had pretty similar results, ie, both very good. Dishwasher is much less effort hahaha.

I'm pretty sure the commercial glass washers in pubs and clubs just use hot water at about 85 deg C for about 3 minutes to ensure sanitation.

Incorrect. Back when I was in pubs (left in 2006) all glass washers I had used over the years had a reservoir that you filled with a special detergent that was designed for the purpose. Even with the use of this the glasses would develop a layer of grease over time from the customers hands/lips so we used to cleaning them weekly with a cleaning brush like this and some serious cleaning substance (was the only time I wore gloves, that shit would eat your nails clean off your hands)

GLASS-WASHING-BRUSH.jpg

As for washing glasses at home, I use a scourer and standard dishwashing liquid, I also only use the hot water (ours runs at roughly 80deg) and rinse them well after.

Yep the once a in a while wash uses these... with the detergent or whatever. But for express cleaning, steinberg is correct.

Did 6 years at the pub through Uni. A tray at a time into one of these... hot water only;

ci-3b_open.jpg

Then once a week the day bar staff would give them a manual clean using the thing Pollux linked to above... with some detergent in a bucket.

Edit: well bugger me... Just had a look at the website for the washer i linked. In the 6 years i was there never did we put detergent in there. It was 98 - 04, so maybe things changed. Doesn't surprise me it never got done though. :rolleyes:

They are meant to have detergent in them, often comes down to how cheap the boss is and if they can be arsed paying for it.....

.... I also only use the hot water (ours runs at roughly 80deg) and rinse them well after.

Is that the water temp in your dishwasher ? I thought by law you couldn't have it coming out of the tap at anymore than 60C to prevent scalding.

That's the temp out of the tap.....Old apartment, was built before common sense disappeared and we sued people for our own stupidity.....

Dishwashers generally do a good job, in my experience. But, we do have glasses that seem to have become etched/cloudy, which I blame on the dishwasher. So, these days I rarely put my good beer glasses in the dishwasher. 90% of the time they just get hot tap water rinse after use (or soak overnight in nappisan sometimes).

Doesn't using a scourer scratch the glasses?

Doesn't using a scourer scratch the glasses?

Even using a metal scourer, most metal scourers shouldn't have a hardness of more than 5 whereas glass is around 5.5, so it shouldn't scratch the glass. If your worried just buy a few of the teflon scourers.

That's the temp out of the tap.....Old apartment, was built before common sense disappeared and we sued people for our own stupidity.....

This is one of the best quotes I've read in a while.

Even using a metal scourer, most metal scourers shouldn't have a hardness of more than 5 whereas glass is around 5.5, so it shouldn't scratch the glass. If your worried just buy a few of the teflon scourers.

Don't know about that.

Which glass has been scrubbed with a green scourer?

Photo0153.jpg

I'd hardly use glassware from Macca's as a benchmark...

Believe me, green scourers do scratch glass.

I had a whole cupboard of scratched glasses, all different sorts, before the days of dishwashers.

I still get frightened when the missus has a scourer in her hands. :unsure: :unsure:

Latest posts

Back