Washing Beer Glasses?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Browne

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can you give me some tips of the best way to wash beer glasses to give the best head retention.

Cheers

Matt

Make a thick bi-carb & water slurry. Scrub the glass with it. Rinse.

We finally moved into a newish house.. its got this new fangled thing call a dishwasher... damn i miss doing the beer glasses by hand.... NOT

No detergent, hot water and bi-carb only. Best every time.

Cheers - boingk

Dishwasher if you have one and only a dishwasher. I also rinse my glasses before pouring to remove dust/residue.

Dishwashers use similar cleaning agents to that of what we use to clean our brewing equiptment so foam stability shouldt be an issue if you use your dishwasher.

For those that dont have a dishwasher... get a dishwasher. :D

Edit: saying that, if you clean your glasses with dishwasher detergent and rinse well it would be better than using dish/sink detergents IMO

I have mixed results using the dishwasher, so I rarely do now unless there has been a big night and I can't be arsed washing 20 glasses by hand. It always seems to give me huge bubbles that cling to the sides of the glass and not form a dense head.

I usually use hot water -as hot as I can stand- and a scrub out with my dedicated wash cloth.

If I have neglected them then they get a soak in sodium percarbonate and then a thorough rinse in hot water, which still stuffs up the head a little.

The bi carb works a treat.

One method I use that works very well (similar principle to the bi-carb method) is to use home-brand (or similar cheap salt, fine ground salt works better) wet the glass and immediately coat with thin layer of salt over the inside surface of the glass, then scrub with your brush or scourer that you ONLY use for glasses and has never had dishwashing liquid on it. Then rinse with hot water and air dry.

You can use this method to see how clean your glasses are as well. Wet the insise surface of the beer glass, wait 10 seconds then coat the inside surface with salt. If very little salt sticks to the inside surface then it is dirty, the salt will only stick to parts of the glass that are clean.

Most dishwashing liquids are petroleum based products and leave residues on the glass that are not water soluble so they will not be removed by heavy rinsing. Over time these residues build up considerably and kill head retention, the salt acts as an abrasive surface which removes these residues.

Cheers

I use PSR (Pink Stain remover) or technically ChlorineTrisodiumPhosphate.

This stuff is the best for everything, SWMBO loves it as her glasses, vases etc all come back better than new. It is great for sanitising my brewing kit as well

All of mine go in the dish washer and have for several years. I use Eco Store dishwashing powder (or rather the missus does). Zero issues with head retention.

brigalow bottle washing detergent here.

If a glass is really clean there should be no breaking down of the water surface on the glass. the water separates into smaller pools (or beads as per the nu finish car wax ad) they are still dirty.

I find it tastes the same no matter how I wash my glasses. YMMV.

I'm pretty sure the commercial glass washers in pubs and clubs just use hot water at about 85 deg C for about 3 minutes to ensure sanitation.

I use PSR (Pink Stain remover) or technically ChlorineTrisodiumPhosphate.

This stuff is the best for everything, SWMBO loves it as her glasses, vases etc all come back better than new. It is great for sanitising my brewing kit as well

I have been a long time user of PSR and have always been happy with the results.

Ive never had a problem just using morning fresh or whatever and a sponge. Beer glasses are always perfectly clear and beer looks amazing. The only thing I make sure if that the water is hot as my hands can take...

Dishwasher.

Always have and with my low carbonation levels (1.6-1.8 vols of CO2) head retention should rear it's ugly head if this was an issue. Never happens.

The key is to make sure you don't use the eco cycle (if you have one) and a good rinse aid. If the glass feels 'chalky' you haven't rinsed properly. I use those fancy quantum tablets with the powerball rinse aid as the SIL works for them.

Stored upside down on the shelf in the keg fridge so they are the same temperature as the beer.

Attached a pic of a pilsner to show the results. This is 100% pils malt so no carapils or other tricks to improve head retention.

AG095_bopils.jpg

I do the bicarb & vinegar trick and then just rinse with hot water. After that I only rinse with hot water and don't clean with bicarb and vinegar until they look a bit on the grimy side.

I do the bicarb & vinegar trick and then just rinse with hot water. After that I only rinse with hot water and don't clean with bicarb and vinegar until they look a bit on the grimy side.

Much more friendly on the environment GDAH!!

Latest posts

Back