Warning !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
Hi guys,

It has been awhile since I have been around.

The beer fridge blew up, got it fixed and decided to brew a 20 litre batch of starters for the next season of brewing and I discovered a leaking high pressure gas connection hose on my brew stand.

Because of a few "issues :) " I have not lit my NASA's in brew mode for quite awhile. The hose are the correct rating but over time have perished.

Get some soapy water and check your hoses if you haven't done so in awhile. Check them -- without flame and all taps on the burners turned off.

Steve

Welcome back Chiller.

Great to have you back Chiller.

So the moral of the story is, use the equipment regularly to keep the pipes clean ? :p

Doc

Hi Chillman.

About time you showed up again. :beer:

cheers
johnno

Good to see you back chiller.

I lit my 3 ring burner the other week under a 20 liter pot to heat infusion water and didnt have the gas conection done up tight.

needless to say i lost some hair on my hand and double check the gas every time now.

cheers

Great to hear from you Steve. Hope no damage was doneto your person or brewery.

G'day Steve
Things have changed while you were out :unsure:

Batz

Reminds me of the time a spider decided to crawl into and spin a nest in the outermost ring of my 4-ring burner. Tried to light it and nothing happened... nothing happened... nothing... whooooomphhh!
I was momentarily fireballed. My arm looked funny with all the little crispy singed hair remains... :)

MFS

I haven't had my NASA that long and the little rubber nose on the regulator is just about stuffed.
I got the stainless braid line to protect it from the heat, but I supose it sufers the same fate over time.

My rambo burner is hard plumbed with copper pipe to about 1.5 feet away from the heat.

Chiller is right......... if your lines look the least bit old, buy a new one, they are cheaper than a burned down house.

cheers

G'day Steve
Things have changed while you were out :unsure:

Batz

There certainly seems to be a new crowd with their bellies to the bar Batz :)

Great to see all the regulars as well. The forum layout is rather nice too.

Oh that reminds me -- i better check the grain mill for mice :)

I shall report back if I manage to brew a drinkable beer. Looks like I have choosen a warm day to brew -- 40 here tomorrow.

Steve

I believe you're supposed to check high pressure gas fittings every few years or so.

I'm glad you weren't injured. I once stepped out onto my deck to check on my propane BBQ and discovered a meter long flame jetting from the gas hose. Very lucky that the flame was directed toward the glass of the patio door, and not the cedar wall right next to the door. A pinhole had opened up on the hose that connected the tank to the controls. I was able to shut it down without getting hurt. It was damn frightening.

Hahaha Steve you old bugger. Long time no hear!

Welcome back to the fold. Hope you still keep people on their toes. :)

Warren -

Hahaha Steve you old bugger. Long time no hear!

Welcome back to the fold. Hope you still keep people on their toes. :)

Warren -

5529 posts :) Warren when do you find time to brew or anything else for that matter !! :party:

I lit my 3 ring burner the other week under a 20 liter pot to heat infusion water and didnt have the gas conection done up tight.

Sounds like the first brew I did after buying the burner! I was convinced I had a dodgey regulator with a hole in the plastic or something... turns out it just wasn't tight. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. You've just solidifed my resolve to brew solely electric. I'm off to get some 15A elements tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back