• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: stainless steel perforated sheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdsaasdf

Reaction score
Hi AHB,

I'm looking for advice on where I may be able to find stainless steel sheets, ideally perforated sheet without paying an arm and a leg. Needs to be at least 600mm on the long edge for a custom drip tray, with some other small offcuts for various other bits around the bar.

Doesn't seem like many places sell retail to the public, best price I've found retail is a 2400x1200 0.55mm sheet from Atlas for ~$120. Not within my budget if I then need to manually drill out the holes!

Can anyone suggest somewhere else I can look? Are there any scrap merchants likely to sell direct? Even better, does anyone have any scrap lying around? :)

Any and all help much appreciated! I'm located in Brisbane.

Cheers

Do an online search for metal fabrication companies in your area, then call in and explain your on a mission to build the latest gadget for your home brewery and need their help, then ask if they have any offcuts they could sell you. As soon as you mention brewery or beer in Australia barriers fall down instantly 90% of the time.

Suppliers of perforated sheet usually want to deal in full size sheets, fabrication companies buy full size sheets and cut them up for a job and always keep the offcuts for future jobs down the track. A few years ago I did a job at BVA Metal Fabrications in Picton WA and noticed they had a section in the workshop where all the offcuts were kept. I found exactly the perforated sheet I'd been searching for to finish my malt pipe project at the time and they were happy to sell me some when I asked. Be aware though its not a cheap product to buy even in small sizes. Your other option is making friends with your local scrap metal dealer, beef jerky and beer is good for breaking down barriers if they're a little reluctant to let you poke around initially, but once they know you they're the best place to pick up most things you'll ever dream of for your brewery. :D

Locker group. Is where I would go. I will try find a quote I have for 400um

I just checked. 0.71 apt x 0.32 woven stainless mesh 1.2 wide I think from memory for $67/meter + gst. This is on account but it gives you an idea.

Thanks all very much for the replies.

nosco said:
Not sure if this is what you need but rs online has a 1/2 meter sheets x2. Different sizes and perforations at pretty decent (maybe)prices delivered. Depends ho much you want i guess. It what i use as false bottom.

http://au.rs-online.com/web/c/abrasives-engineering-materials/mild-steel-tube-sheets-angles/perforated-steel-sheets/?searchTerm=Stainless+sheet
Thanks, yes I have had a look at that, I am curious to know how rigid is the 0.55 sheet? Do you use it as a square or circular false bottom, and approximately what diameter or length/width is your sheet?

real_beer said:
Do an online search for metal fabrication companies in your area, then call in and explain your on a mission to build the latest gadget for your home brewery and need their help, then ask if they have any offcuts they could sell you. As soon as you mention brewery or beer in Australia barriers fall down instantly 90% of the time.

Suppliers of perforated sheet usually want to deal in full size sheets, fabrication companies buy full size sheets and cut them up for a job and always keep the offcuts for future jobs down the track. A few years ago I did a job at BVA Metal Fabrications in Picton WA and noticed they had a section in the workshop where all the offcuts were kept. I found exactly the perforated sheet I'd been searching for to finish my malt pipe project at the time and they were happy to sell me some when I asked. Be aware though its not a cheap product to buy even in small sizes. Your other option is making friends with your local scrap metal dealer, beef jerky and beer is good for breaking down barriers if they're a little reluctant to let you poke around initially, but once they know you they're the best place to pick up most things you'll ever dream of for your brewery. :D
Thanks. As I alluded to in the initial post I have visited a number of outlets and some flat-out don't carry stainless (such as Metalcorp) and others straight up won't deal with retail / the public e.g. metal recyclers. Hadn't really looked for metal fabricators so I will try that out.

I don't have the fortune of doing any work with the steel industry in the last decade so I'm SoL for contacts at the moment. I will persist though!

CoxR said:
I just checked. 0.71 apt x 0.32 woven stainless mesh 1.2 wide I think from memory for $67/meter + gst. This is on account but it gives you an idea.
Thanks very much, turns out there is a Locker in Rocklea so I'll give them a call and see if they can help.

I have purchased many thousands of dollars from locker group in Rocklea. Again you might not get the same price as I do but should be cheaper than most.

Haha Judanaro, great minds think alike eh.
...to be honest I'll probly just use a bucket in front of the fridge door until I'm sick of tripping over it.

Judanero said:
I am intending on using something like this for my drip tray once I get the top of my kegerator sorted.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Designer-Stainless-Steel-Linear-Bathroom-Shower-Grate-Drain-Waste-various-sizes-/331454011418?var=&hash=item4d2c32d81a

Might be of interest if you don't have your heart set on holes.
Thanks, I like the look of some of the slotted grates, including the one you linked. Unfortunately that's far too narrow for my current build.

I am likely to use them in a build one day if I ever get around to building a larger, stand-behind bar.

Benn said:
Haha Judanaro, great minds think alike eh.
...to be honest I'll probly just use a bucket in front of the fridge door until I'm sick of tripping over it.
I'm still using a stained towel which gets a flip every so often. Drip tray sounds nice :lol:

fdsaasdf said:
Thanks, yes I have had a look at that, I am curious to know how rigid is the 0.55 sheet? Do you use it as a square or circular false bottom, and approximately what diameter or length/width is your sheet?
I cut a circle out of the sheet for my 65lt BIAB kettle and still had heaps left. I think I got 2 x 1/2 meter sheets with 2mm holes. I found it on Wolfys 3v build thread. Its not a true false bottom its just to keep the bag of the element. Very easy to cut with the stainless steel cuttings wheels for angle grinders. I didnt realise how neat you could be with em until I gave it a go.

nosco said:
I cut a circle out of the sheet for my 65lt BIAB kettle and still had heaps left. I think I got 2 x 1/2 meter sheets with 2mm holes. I found it on Wolfys 3v build thread. Its not a true false bottom its just to keep the bag of the element. Very easy to cut with the stainless steel cuttings wheels for angle grinders. I didnt realise how neat you could be with em until I gave it a go.
Ok thanks... How rigid is the sheet? Do you sit your bag on top of it or is it only there as a failsafe? I want the 600mm length to be able to flex as needed but not bend under the weight of less than a kilo or two.

Theres a bit of flex in it. I have 4 bolts through it atm to hold it up bit im gonna try some 2mm stainless wire hooked over the top of the pot. If that works i think it will still flex a bit with the weigjt of the bag.

In Melbourne we use Atlas steels or locker group for perforated sheet. My work has a fabrication workshop and we always have offcuts so I would suggest driving around the local industrial estate and knock on the door of the local fabricators. We get all kinds of wacky requests from people looking for scrap or offcuts for random projects. I have tried many different perf sheet sizes and have has the most luck with the slightly thicker sheets @ 1.2 or 1.6mm and slightly larger perforations around 1-2mm. You get a slightly lower open area but I have had many of the 0.9mm and thinner sheets collapse at the hint of a stuck mash.

real_beer said:
husky quickly edit that last bit to sparge while you can or you'll never hear the end of it :lol:
A recirculating mash can become stuck.

Latest posts

Back