Wander Munich Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokodan

Reaction score
Hi All

I was reading on a thread somewhere about Wander Munich Lager , i think the general idea was that this was a good basic kit with possibly just a BE2 addition , i was thinking of adding a kilo of Dex to boost alc content , anyone done this "basic" ? if so what ferment temps do i aim for with supplied yeast??

Cheers

Dan

Yeah, this is a really good value supermarket kit. Nice flavour profile. I've usually done it as a 11.5L with no extra fermentables and also as a 23L with all malt additions and it comes out as a very nice, easy to drink beer. 1kg of dex would probably be okay for a quick and dirty brew . 1kg of BE2 would definitely be better though, cause it's 50% malt. Yeast is an ale type, so yes, anyware from 16-20C would be appropriate.

Yeah, this is a really good value supermarket kit. Nice flavour profile. I've usually done it as a 11.5L with no extra fermentables and also as a 23L with all malt additions and it comes out as a very nice, easy to drink beer. 1kg of dex would probably be okay for a quick and dirty brew . 1kg of BE2 would definitely be better though, cause it's 50% malt. Yeast is an ale type, so yes, anyware from 16-20C would be appropriate.

Hey Wildschwein

You say all malt additions , would 1kg light dry malt malt extract work ok ??

Cheers
Dan

Wildschwein, I'm interested in your use of this kit to make a 11.5 litre batch. I've noticed several references to "toucan brews" on this site, and they made me wonder about doing a "one can mini-brew"

I like variety, and would rather do two different small batches than one bigger one. I also like the idea of having an ultra simple brew for when time is short.
I haven't tried it yet, mainly because I thought the hop flavour or bitterness might be too over the top. ( I don't mind a beer thats a bit malty, or a little hoppy, but I'm not keen on really bitter brews )

So how does the 11.5 litre version turn out ?. Do the hops come through more than the malt, or vice-versa ?, or do they balance out ?.

Cheers, Deegee.

Wildschwein, I'm interested in your use of this kit to make a 11.5 litre batch. I've noticed several references to "toucan brews" on this site, and they made me wonder about doing a "one can mini-brew"

I like variety, and would rather do two different small batches than one bigger one. I also like the idea of having an ultra simple brew for when time is short.
I haven't tried it yet, mainly because I thought the hop flavour or bitterness might be too over the top. ( I don't mind a beer thats a bit malty, or a little hoppy, but I'm not keen on really bitter brews )

So how does the 11.5 litre version turn out ?. Do the hops come through more than the malt, or vice-versa ?, or do they balance out ?.

Cheers, Deegee.

It's like a half-sized toucan brew, if that makes any sense. You definitely get more hops flavour. The malt really just translates into additional body/mouthfeel and positive head retention. The good thing is too is that you can take it up to about 13L just to mellow the hoppines a little. I've found this Munich Lager to be a good candidate for a mini brew, as it's hopiness is more centred in the flavour department rather than being out and out bitter. You don't need any extra fermentables at all either. Fermentation often takes less time than a full size brew if you pitch the whole yeast packet.

Hey Wildschwein

You say all malt additions , would 1kg light dry malt malt extract work ok ??

Cheers
Dan

Yes, absoultely. Yeast aside, it'll give you a much more authenticate Germanic brew. Better body and head retention too.

you can use the kit and be2, but if you're going for higher alcohol use malt extract, don't put anymore dex in there as there already some in the be2. The malt extract will make the beer smoother and tastier, and more malty :eek: . I personally hate the taste of dextrose in a brew, it just gives a dirty homebrew alcohol taste. remember that you will lose hop flavour and bitterness the more malt extract you add, so don't go too hard at it unless you use additional hops.

go two can brew or yo waste yo time yah man
lolly bout the spellin'
12 shift+ alchohol
bad combo

go two can brew or yo waste yo time yah man
lolly bout the spellin'
12 shift+ alchohol
bad combo
Love your avatar matti, I've got the same pic as a screensaver... cut and paste it out of a Dutch newspaper.. where'd you get yours?

Thanks Wildschwein, I'll get down to my local supermarket soon and pick up a couple of cans - I'm pretty sure I've seen them on the shelf there, and it's a lot closer to home than my nearest HBS.

As I said in the previous post I don't mind some hop flavour, as long as it's not too bitter.
So I'll take your advice and make one up to about 12 or 13 litres, and then I might try another at about 15L with 200/300 gm of fermentables which should mellow out the hops a bit more. Still a quick and easy way to go if that turns out to be my prefered version.

And yes the "half toucan" brew makes sense - and kind of appeals to my quirky sense of humor too.

Newtobrew,
For what it's worth, I'd suggest that you take Wildschweins advice and use a 50/50 blend malt/dextrose brew booster.
You could use all malt, but you would probably need to add extra hops to balance it - unless you like a very malty flavoured beer.

Cheers Deegee

Thanks Wildschwein, I'll get down to my local supermarket soon and pick up a couple of cans - I'm pretty sure I've seen them on the shelf there, and it's a lot closer to home than my nearest HBS.

As I said in the previous post I don't mind some hop flavour, as long as it's not too bitter.
So I'll take your advice and make one up to about 12 or 13 litres, and then I might try another at about 15L with 200/300 gm of fermentables which should mellow out the hops a bit more. Still a quick and easy way to go if that turns out to be my prefered version.

And yes the "half toucan" brew makes sense - and kind of appeals to my quirky sense of humor too.

Newtobrew,
For what it's worth, I'd suggest that you take Wildschweins advice and use a 50/50 blend malt/dextrose brew booster.
You could use all malt, but you would probably need to add extra hops to balance it - unless you like a very malty flavoured beer.

Cheers Deegee
Thanks All
I reckon i might go the BE2 with 500gm of LDM .

Cheers

Dan

Thanks All
I reckon i might go the BE2 with 500gm of LDM .

Cheers

Dan

Yeah that'll work well and give you an alcohol level in the mid 5% region. From memory 1kg BE2 and a kit gives you 4.7%, so 500g of malt should take you up the scale a bit without the giving you the thin nastiness (=hangover) of using too much dex.

Latest posts

Back