Wa Aka Sandgropers Xmas Case Swap 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. Thanks for offering up your home, cd. Can't wait for this, gents. Brewed mine today, ready to pitch yeast tomorrow.
Not sure about Keifer's infected contribution, though...... ;)
Cheers.

Haha thanks for the confidence there jyo. I will be brewing mine on Sunday arvo.

Awesome!
If all goes well, I'll probably be moving house that weekend, but I will make it for at least the swap portion!! Brewed mine yesterday and will be pitching the yeast today! Looking forward to it.

Good on you CD!

I will be brewing a low OG brown either tomorrow or next weekend, and if it is good, then I might use that, if it is average, I will sort something else.

Awesome!
If all goes well, I'll probably be moving house that weekend, but I will make it for at least the swap portion!! Brewed mine yesterday and will be pitching the yeast today! Looking forward to it.

i better pull my finger out and start on mine.....

thanks cbrown I will bre a english pale ale soory guys dont know how to do the cut and paste thing

Confirmation list-

1. Jimboley- confirmed, rad dry stout.
2. keifer33 - confirmed (probably a comp winning APA icon_cheers.gif )
3. cdbrown - confirmed yank brown ale 5.9% or yank pale ale 5.1%
4. sinkas?
5. Bizier
6. malt_shovel - confirmed, APA from fathers day brew in PET now unless i get something else done beforehand
7. spoonta
8. Evil G ?
9. jyo- confirmed- soft blonde or pumpkin ale.
10. Mikey - even if i cant make it am keen to do a swap - confirmed either pilsner or belgium blonde
11. biggo
12. NME
13. Edge
fermenting fridge(s) full of bucks night beers for a mate will have room to brew next week :p

Bugger, I am down south that weekend for a wedding, so will have to cancel.

That should bring the numbers back to 15 with Edge included.

So it looks like this:

2. keifer33 - confirmed (probably something infected)
4. sinkas - confirmed
5. Bizier
6. malt_shovel - confirmed, APA from fathers day brew in PET now unless i get something else done beforehand
6. spoonta
7. Evil G - confirmed (T.B.A. maybe some type of lager or possibly a Bees Knees?)
8. jyo- confirmed- saaz blonde
9. Mikey - even if i cant make it am keen to do a swap - confirmed either pilsner or belgium blonde
10. biggo - confirmed - Braggot or Pale ale
11. NME - confirmed (dunno yet!)
12. Fodder (?)
13. markymoo - ESB or Landlord (if you will have me :) )
14. Fish13
15. Edge

Edit for removing Mika...

2. keifer33 - confirmed (probably something infected)
4. sinkas - confirmed
5. Bizier
6. spoonta
7. Evil G - confirmed (T.B.A. maybe some type of lager or possibly a Bees Knees?)
8. jyo- confirmed- saaz blonde
9. Mikey - even if i cant make it am keen to do a swap - confirmed either pilsner or belgium blonde
10. biggo - confirmed - Braggot or Pale ale
11. NME - confirmed (dunno yet!)
12. Fodder (?)
13. markymoo - Red Ale that works
14. Fish13
15. Edge

Just because everyone else is updating thir beers :)

cbrown do you want kegs of beer to drink on the day I can bring my party set up if you like

ah ****. the brew i was planning for this day is fubar.

I had the scales in lbs not grams. so i am going to have a ery sickly sweet brew i think on my hands.

WIll remake it this time and make sure the scales are in grams. I will head off and get some calibrated weights from the local coke dealer and make sure its all good

to save it before i bottle it i cold dry hop with fuggles??

Put up a bit more info on your recipe and some gravities etc see if we can come up with something to save it.

og was 1040 @ 43 degree's 10l batch

800ml liquid dark malt
300ml liquid light malt
30g (i added 0.03lb) caramunich
14g northern brewer (.014lb added)
10g Fuggles (0.010lb)

I just had a whiff and it has a nose hair burning smell to it and it is a day away from bottling.

i was thinking of adding 5g of fuggles and 5 grams of northern brewer to it before i do should i have a small taste of the beer as it is now?

whats the gravity currently?
also any idea of the aa% of the hops?

actually even more questions.

how long where the hops boiled for?
was the liquid malt just the normal stuff so are we talking 800g and 300g cause most of the software measures it by weight?

whats the gravity currently?
also any idea of the aa% of the hops?

actually even more questions.

how long where the hops boiled for?
was the liquid malt just the normal stuff so are we talking 800g and 300g cause most of the software measures it by weight?

I missed .250lb of dextrose too

current gravity is 1014
fuggles is 5.7aa% brewcraft hops.
Northern Brewer no idea no aa% on the bag but once again i belive it is from brew craft so it would be between 8 and 10%

normal liquid malt and i plugged 800g and 300g as I noticed no ml option..

the grains were steeped in the liquid for 30 minutes

the wort was heated to 90 and then the hops were added at 40 mins Northern Brewer and then 10mins fuggles and then rested for 10. chilled to 20 degree's then into the fermenter.

The recipe i followed was very vague and the LHBS had problems with there phones. SO i can not elaborate on the recipe

But thats all from my brew notes on the day.

Hmm seems the recipe with the lbs has stuffed things up. This is what I get for a 10lt batch

0.03 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 1 2.4 %
0.80 kg Dark Liquid Extract (34.5 EBC) Extract 2 64.5 %
0.30 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 3 24.2 %
0.11 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 4 8.9 %
6.35 g Northern Brewer [9.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 5 15.0 IBUs
4.53 g Fuggles [5.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.8 IBUs

Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 18.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 17.8 IBUs

So it seems like a mild of some description but I would be cautious about bottling too soon as it suggests around 1008 for a finished gravity but that really depends on the yeast etc.

Also I think you need a bigger batch than 10 lts as by my calcs 15 x 740ml bottles is a tad over 11lts finished volume so better get brewing on a bigger batch me thinks.

Hmm seems the recipe with the lbs has stuffed things up. This is what I get for a 10lt batch

0.03 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 1 2.4 %
0.80 kg Dark Liquid Extract (34.5 EBC) Extract 2 64.5 %
0.30 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 3 24.2 %
0.11 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 4 8.9 %
6.35 g Northern Brewer [9.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 5 15.0 IBUs
4.53 g Fuggles [5.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.8 IBUs

Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 18.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 17.8 IBUs

So it seems like a mild of some description but I would be cautious about bottling too soon as it suggests around 1008 for a finished gravity but that really depends on the yeast etc.

Also I think you need a bigger batch than 10 lts as by my calcs 15 x 740ml bottles is a tad over 11lts finished volume so better get brewing on a bigger batch me thinks.

this is from my brew mate

Original Gravity (OG): 1.038 (P): 9.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 3.88 %
Colour (SRM): 8.1 (EBC): 16.0
Bitterness (IBU): 19.0 (Average)

65.2% Liquid Malt Extract - Dark
24.45% Liquid Malt Extract - Light
9.29% Dextrose
1.06% Caramunich I

0.6 g/L Northern Brewer (9.6% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes (First Wort)
0.5 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (First Wort)

yeah i made a small mistake but a mild lager should be okay i think i used S-23 so i will keep an eye on it. 4 points on the sg surely wont hurt when i bottle....

Thanks for you help kiefer

Latest posts

Back