Vienna Lager attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beercus

Reaction score
As discussed in the "what are you brewing 2015" thread, I decided to attempt my first lager after getting an old fridge.

There was some debate about whether I used too much caraaroma. I did do the brew exactly as I originally formulated. See recipe pick below.

I put it in the fermenter and after 6 days it is now at the target SG.

BUT..... I was away during this time and my house sitter inadvertently turned the fridge off.

So from what I can work out it was at 11oC for 5 days and at 11-20oC for 24hours. The airlock is almost cleared of fluid, maybe a rigorous fermentation?

Have I just gotten lucky and have done a diactyl rest?

What do I do now? Is it stuffed?

I have turned the fridge back on

Thanks in advance

Beercus

image.jpg

Fridge is back down to 11oC.

Had a taste and can not detect any crazy flavours...

Beercus

This is one of my chosen styles for this year. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting stuck into one. What did you go with for mash schedule?

My gut feeling is that itll be fine. All the text boo, s say the majority of esters and off flavours etc are created in the first 2 or 3 days so if you say it tastes fine, then yes I think your house sitter has just done a d rest for you.

danestead said:
My gut feeling is that itll be fine. All the text boo, s say the majority of esters and off flavours etc are created in the first 2 or 3 days so if you say it tastes fine, then yes I think your house sitter has just done a d rest for you.
The esters themselves are formed later but the compounds that determine the type and amount of each type (of ester) are formed early on. Temp is a key factor in the development of these compounds.

Mashed at 63 - 65oC for 60 mins.

So how much longer should I keep it in the fermenter and set what temp. Can I lager it in a keg?

Thanks

Beercus

beercus said:
Mashed at 63 - 65oC for 60 mins.

So how much longer should I keep it in the fermenter and set what temp. Can I lager it in a keg?

Thanks

Beercus
If you brewed at 11°C for 5 days you should be good. I wouldnt expect off flavours. If your target FG is stable, I would start the crash chill.
Note that 6 days is pretty quick for a lager - It is acceptable and quite possible when you do everything right, e.g. good healthy yeast, correct pitch rate with oxygen (if using liquid yeast) etc. So, just be wary that it really is finished.
If youre happy with the SG then crash to about 3 or 4°C adding finings if that is your go.
I actually prefer to lager in a keg. Plenty do it in fermenters and cubes. Whatever blows your hair back.
When lagering in cubes, I like to purge the headspace with a little CO2, not enough to carb up, but enough to displace the air. Leave it for as long as you like, then carb up and enjoy.
My experience is that my lagers are best from 2 to 6 months normally. I often drink them earlier and they are good, but at the 2 month mark they are cracking.

I was thinking of leaving it for another week @11oC and then split the 25L into 1 corney and the rest in bottles.

or should I lager in two corneys and then transfer to bottles. I would like some bottled and some kegged.

beercus said:
I was thinking of leaving it for another week @11oC and then split the 25L into 1 corney and the rest in bottles.

or should I lager in two corneys and then transfer to bottles. I would like some bottled and some kegged.
Up to you but best option is probably to bottle straight from primary, priming and allowing a couple of weeks at warmer temps to carbonate, then lager the bottles. That way you won't be be tying up an additional keg that's only a quarter full. If you do split the batch across 2 kegs for lagering, then bottle the 5L or so, you might need to add fresh yeast if you want to bottle prime, depending on how long you lager for. Of course you could force carbonate in the keg and bottle under counterpressure.

Latest posts

Back