Vic Xmas In July Case Swap 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vote 1 for CREAM Ale DFT! never tried one but if its creamy i'd be riiiiiight into it.

vote 1 for CREAM Ale DFT! never tried one but if its creamy i'd be riiiiiight into it.

It's a tough call - both sound like fascinating beers: creamy... not smoked. Maybe that can become the new tag line of James Bond.

Both would be new to me, so I vote for going with whatever you feel like!

The smoked one sounds good to me. I like a nice thick malty beer, and I'm interested in seeing what the smoked malt does to a beer.

Isn't Peels already doing a cream ale?

In dark ale news, my intended case contribution isn't really shaping up as I would've liked. I've kept the 15 intended for the case swap inside where it's warmer, so carbonation is a possibility, and the rest of the batch in the shed. At last test, the ones inside only had little in the way of bubbles, and the shed ones none at all.
Never mind, I'm about to bottle an APA this weekend that should make a worthy successor. It's currently in secondary with a handful of Cascade hops and smells and tastes pretty good. There's still a few weeks to go, so that should be enough time in the bottle for it if the dark falls through.

I've kept the 15 intended for the case swap inside where it's warmer, so carbonation is a possibility, and the rest of the batch in the shed. At last test, the ones inside only had little in the way of bubbles, and the shed ones none at all.

Out of interest - does anyone know what a good temp is for the carbonation phase? My bottles are out the back, and it has been mighty cold of late, maybe I should bring them in too... :ph34r:

Out of interest - does anyone know what a good temp is for the carbonation phase? My bottles are out the back, and it has been mighty cold of late, maybe I should bring them in too... :ph34r:
same as temps as for primary fermentation

Because i had to only bottle 15 botlles for the swap i threw the other 5-6litres of the IPA in the keg and i just realised it should be ready to drink tonight!! Cant fuking wait.

Because i had to only bottle 15 botlles for the swap i threw the other 5-6litres of the IPA in the keg and i just realised it should be ready to drink tonight!! Cant fuking wait.

I'll be around at 8.30. Do I bring dip with the chips? :beer:

hahaha sorry mate i never checked AHB last night when i got home, must of been too busy drinking the IPA ;) i reckon theres only a litre or so left now :blink:

Executive decision has been made. The brown porter/ale thingy has been pulled in favour of an APA.
The brown just wasn't carbing up properly, and was, in retrospect, a little one-dimensional. It had the choc malt, and not a lot else.
The replacement is a darker APA, done up with Chinook and Cascade for bittering and flavour, plus my first attempt at dry hopping (Cascade). The grist is loosely based on the Skunk Fart Pale Ale, so has medium, dark and darker crystal in it.
It's a bit cloudy, but otherwise a tasty (IMHO) drop.

The brown has gone into my Tap-A-Draft for some forced carbonation.

By the way - did you guys check out the range in the NSW xmas in July beer swap. 28 entries!! That's a lot of beer!

28! :blink: bugger that, i'v enough trouble trying to lift 14 :huh: :lol:

-Phill

28! :blink: bugger that, i'v enough trouble trying to lift 14 :huh: :lol:

-Phill

Couldn't agree more! Plus - it's nice to have some of your own brews to compare against over time, and against all the other awesome sounding brews for this swap! :p

PS The count down is on... only a few weeks to brew swap day.

Bump for the drop off crew....

----> Drop off locations
West - apd - Footscray
North - Peels Diamond Creek
East - DarkFaerytale Springvale South
Central (drop off and sorting location) - SpillsMostOfIt Collingwood

Wardie we gonna jump in a car and hit Peel's for a few (and our drop off) one day one of these weekends?

Back