VIC: XMAS in July 2013 case swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tentative. Need to meet more brewing blokes and this will force me to do a good bottled beer. Just gotta get my arse into gear to give it time to condition. Might even be able to bring an electric charcoal spit.

1. Manticle - Wee Heavy (SMASH)
2. Charst
3. Fikuss
4. Meathead
5. WarmBeer
6. breakbeer
7. Vitalstatistix
8. bullsneck
9. Wolfman
10. Shane R
11. Adamski29 - Brown Porter
12. Midnight Brew
13. DarkFaerytales
14. Damn
15. Edak
16. Kahlerisms (tentative)

Non swap attendees

1. Yob
2. Lecterfan (bloody good chance of getting there this time!!!)
3. Fents
4. Grainer (Hope it fits in with Uni gtg to Ballarat for a few weeks)
[/quote]

I better get in as a tentative also - as per previous posts will be bottling soon. If it turns out good will put it in.

Also out of curiosity - is there a protocol for non attending swappers? I can never gaurantee what I am doing that far in advance. If something was to come up that I cant attend can I send my case along with one of the other swappers?

1. Manticle - Wee Heavy (SMASH)
2. Charst
3. Fikuss
4. Meathead
5. WarmBeer
6. breakbeer
7. Vitalstatistix
8. bullsneck
9. Wolfman
10. Shane R
11. Adamski29 - Brown Porter
12. Midnight Brew
13. DarkFaerytales
14. Damn
15. Edak
16. Kahlerisms (tentative)
17. GrumpyPaul (tenative) - Cherry Ripe Porter

Non swap attendees

1. Yob
2. Lecterfan (bloody good chance of getting there this time!!!)
3. Fents
4. Grainer (Hope it fits in with Uni gtg to Ballarat for a few weeks)

Hay grumpy, yep that's happened before a number of times, at a guess with you being in boronia and just found the corner from me (geographically speaking) you should be ok..

Barring emergencies I have a leave pass and will be attending

Kahlerisms, I haven't even decided on the beer to bring yet :)

Whatever I do brew, it will probably need time to condition so I should also get my a$$ into gear and brew it up! Depending on your availability you are also welcome to join me for a brew day. It's a pretty easy day when using an automated system, but I have some kegs of beer that doesn't drink itself. :)

Just realised that I don't actually have enough longnecks for the swap, is it uncool to bring double the number of stubbies instead? I only ever had 28 or so longnecks, 15 of which still have beer in them.

Maybe this isn't going to work out for me..

Equivalent in stubbies will be fine but you will often find people may help you out with surplus longnecks. If I get any extras, I can swing some your way.

Cheers Manticle but I don't normally bottle in longnecks (in fact I barely bottle at all any more now I keg). I don't know when I would have the opportunity to go around and pick up longnecks either :unsure:

I might be able to help you out, I've got a few spare floating around… how many do you need mate?

Edak said:
in fact I barely bottle at all any more now I keg.
The single biggest issue keggers face is when they sign up for a case swap and realise they now have to bottle 24 x 750mL.

FWP. You can't sign up then wriggle out because there's an extra hour of work involved. It's in the contract.

Anyway if you rarely bottle, I'm sure you'd prefer to clean and fill 24 rather than 48?

Edak said:
Cheers Manticle but I don't normally bottle in longnecks (in fact I barely bottle at all any more now I keg). I don't know when I would have the opportunity to go around and pick up longnecks either :unsure:
You can just go and buy two boxes of the Coopers plastic ones. You're giving them all away and they don't break during the swap when bottles have the tendency to fall over.

manticle said:
FWP. You can't sign up then wriggle out because there's an extra hour of work involved. It's in the contract.
Slightly off topic...

I used to be the cool kid that knew his way around a computer. Now I am a daggy old man that his kids laugh at becuase I dont know all the internet slang and acronyms.

So I googled FWP and find that it means "Friends With Privileges" - what the hell kind of swap meet is this????

The older I get the more confused I get.

Adamski29 said:
You can just go and buy two boxes of the Coopers plastic ones. You're giving them all away and they don't break during the swap when bottles have the tendency to fall over.
This is my prefered option for swaps too. Much more manageable.

should we all confirm the use of plastic bottles then? i'd prefer not to get what glass bottles i have left replaced with plastic from the swap

Previously it's been up to the swappers involved to choose what to bottle their own in. I prefer to bottle in glass - don't care what I get back.

If you do bottle in glass, there's obviously the expectation that you won't be handing anyone a live grenade.

DarkFaerytale said:
should we all confirm the use of plastic bottles then? i'd prefer not to get what glass bottles i have left replaced with plastic from the swap
Ive got at least a crate I can give you DFT, probably 2 by the time the swap comes about.. you arent that far from me I think

thats cool, i'm happy to buy the plastic ones as long as people don't mind, it's just that since kegging i only have enough glass for maybe 2 batches which i use for aging

cheers for the offer

i remember seeing a photo of the inside of a fridge that had had a plastic bottle explode in it.... very messy

Will be bottling in PET myself.

A couple of years ago we had a batch of case swap beers arrive in a dodgy cardboard box. Murphy dictated that the bottom of said box should fall out just as the swap is taking place. A number of people had to go home without that beer.

Also, drunkards and glass are never a recommended combination.

Latest posts

Back