Vic Xmas In July 2008 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, I'm in for the 21st. Be nice to put some faces to names.

:icon_offtopic:
I have too ask re. pet coopers bottles, never used them. I keg and stubbie.
I went to woolies, bi-lo x2, lhbs x 2, yesterday but no-one had them. What pricked my ears was the second lhbs saying, "no we dont reccomend them, they lose carbonation, they dont store well, not as cheap as our glass ones, and something else about being permeable. <_< . With that I hightailed outta there.
I am not really keen on passing glass around, can someone recommend a source besides the above sponsor.

I guess if my participation is really shit which it wont be, i have a get out clause! :lol:

If it were up to me, the only acceptable bottle standard in the swap would be Coopers PET. It makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.

If you're brewing something that requires a bit of age, they may not be ideal, but for most beers, they are good.

Having said that, I think I might be moving towards champagne bottles as my standard bottle type. You won't see any in the swap.

+1 for what Spills said

LHBS that only stock glass bottles may be a little biased...... trust me you wont have the caseswap beers around long enough for you to worry about. mine only lasted 8 weeks.

Sausage rolls!

funny bugger fents. if you really want i make sausgae rolls again.

Haysie,
I picked up the coopers PET's at Kmart, you might want to give that a try

Hi,

can I suggest a minor change to the rules?

Can we perhaps standardise the labeling (i.e. modify current rule number 5)? Perhaps make people clearly mark their "swap number" on the lid (and perhaps AHB name clearly on the bottle somewhere). This might make sorting the beers a little easier and reduce the number of mixups. For PET bottles this probably means getting a white marker or sticking a white sticker on the lid to write the number. I made this suggestion after the last swap here, and a few others thought it to be worthwhile.

I'm going to attend swap day this time to meet fellow brewers... the 21st is in the diary - looking forward to it!

cheers,

Andrei

yep all botlles should be marked with your corrosponding "swap" number on the top of the bottle. providing we dont drink grappa before im sure it will be alot easier this time..

1. Peels - No idea yet
2. Fents - No idea yet
3. Wardhog - Harold
4. Rook - No Idea yet
5. Maple - Rye something or other
6. Andreic - NFI yet
7. Hairofthedog - Blueberry Wheat ?
8. Chris Taylor - Weizenbock
9. SpillsMostOfIt - Austramerican Pale Ale or, failing that, a Brigalow Ginger Beer kit.
10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout
11. Cummins - No idea yet
12. DFT - belgian dubble
13- Citymorgue2 - Spiced Xmas Ale or Brown Bavarian Lager
14. 65bellett- Best Brown Ale
15. Justin T - Dusseldorf Altbier

So that makes my lids all numbers 2's. B)

That altbier makes a tempting case...do the case swap need to be Ag or partials?

Anything goes Leigh. Partials, AG and Kits, its all beer good.

Hi Leigh

Any method is fine (kit, partial, AG).

anything goes as long as it's your best :p

are we gonna do drop off points or worry about that a bit later?

I'll tentitively say im happy to be a drop off point again. But i'll have to clear that with the missus as we will have a newborn.

So
Drop off point:
1. Citymorgue2 - Nunawading, Eastern Suburbs

RE: DATE - are we talking about 21 June or 21 July? im assuming 21 June as thats a Sat. Just that we've called it xmas in july. I just want to make sure as I dont want to miss the swap

I guess if people cant make it to the swap or drop off at Fents prior they will need drop off points. Hopefully someone can fill in the question marks.

This is from my original post.

Drop off locations
North (drop off and sorting location) - Fents Watsonia
West - ? - ?
East - Citymorgue2 NunawadingCentral (pending approval)

21st of june is correct. Couldn't wait until July.

1. Peels - No idea yet
2. Fents - No idea yet
3. Wardhog - Harold
4. Rook - No Idea yet
6. Andreic - NFI yet
9. SpillsMostOfIt - Austramerican Pale Ale or, failing that, a Brigalow Ginger Beer kit.
12. DFT - belgian dubble
16. Fraser (not AHB member ... yet) - Doppelbock

1. Peels - No idea yet
2. Fents - No idea yet
3. Wardhog - Harold
4. Rook - No Idea yet
6. Andreic - NFI yet
12. DFT - belgian dubble
16. Fraser (not AHB member ... yet) - Doppelbock
17. NRB - dunno yet

Is there a cutoff number? Obviously we need to brew a batch that will be big enough to fill all the bottles. How much are the Coopers PETs?

Is there a cutoff number? Obviously we need to brew a batch that will be big enough to fill all the bottles. How much are the Coopers PETs?

Hi NRB,

looks like a few Melbourne Brewers infiltrating the swap this time ;) good to see. Hope we don't blow our reputation too quickly by all entering substandard batches.

I thought that case swap was cut off point was 24, but Peels will be able to tell us.

Think the Coopers PET bottles where about $12.00 for 18 last time I checked. Have a look in KMART.

I have a bunch of dirty grimy longnecks that where sitting in someone's garage for a couple of years if you are interested.

I have a bunch of dirty grimy longnecks that where sitting in someone's garage for a couple of years if you are interested.

Thanks but no thanks mate! I hope I don't tarnish the reputation... I've gotta start churning out some beers, the last one I did was in December.

Yes. 24 swappers is the cut off point. If there is more they will go on the reserves list in case we have drop outs.

ahh excelent, i hope thats the same beer from the stammtich Justin?

-Phill

Yep absolutely is! My first attempt is sitting in my new keg at the moment. I will try it, and improve it for the case swap.

Latest posts

Back