Vic Xmas In July 2008 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just me or does Chris have a touch of the John Howards in that last photo? :D

Well I purposely left the green and gold tracksuit at home so I would not be compared to John Howard ... maybe its time to get the eyebrows trimmed again.

Well had a fantastic day/night at the case swap, and will be definitely attending future events.

Big thanks to Fents for being such a great host ( and his missus for letting him host it ).

Really good to finally meet a lot of the faces behind the posts.

The biggest surprise for me where all the really great young brewers involved in the case swap.

Thanks for the "gifts" Thirsty. Was good to get a bit of an insight from some one in the industry too.

Hey Fents, top job fella. The jackets mine. Going to rest now.

Awesome Swaparty!

Tasted so many consistently great beers over the course of the day! Really impressed.
Great to see a heap of new faces there too.
Thanks Fents for a great day!

Cheers
Q

:beerbang: Cheers fentsy top event never had so many ripper beers i one session possiblly 1 to many as im still very much in the recovery stage :chug:

Thanks Fents for the great hospitality

It was great to meet fellow brewers and enjoy many fantastic beers. Thanks everyone for a most enjoyable day :icon_cheers:

now... which case swap beers go in the fridge first...

cheers, Andrei

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed my 1st case swap. I had a fantastic
day. It was good to meet all the guys who up until then had been nicknames
in AHB land. The beer was fine and not in short supply.

Special thanks go to Fents for being such a fantastic host, Ward for being
such a top BBQ chef and Gav for kindly offering me and my case a lift home.

Today I had one of my rare BFD (beer free days). I might have had half a
beer too many yesterday ;)

Hope everyone enjoyed the day as much as I did.

Looking forward to the next case swap.

Cheers

Superhero

Well what more can i say.

Fents, your as mad as a cut snake but your certainly put one hell of a great day on, i certainly left with wobbly legs and flashing red lights going off :D

Wardy, thanks for warning me about what you done to the meat before you cooked it, theres no way i was going to eat it.

Fent's , somehow i ended up with 2 of your glasses, one in my esky and the other was on the back floor of the car ( must have been were the missus sat me on the way home ), i'll get them back to you.

Hutch, thanks for the yeast you bought along, i'll have to give your first case swap recipe a go.

Mrs Fents, I dont think i met you but thanks for the use of your lovely house.

Thanks to eveyone for an enjoyable day.

How many sleeps until the xmas case swap :p

Rook

I was a bit slack and only put in a medium short appearance a the swap. But I certainly had a good time.

Big thanks to Fents (and Mrs Fents) for hosting. And as always, good to put some faces to the names (names which I will almost certainly forget.. sigh)

But the biggest props I want to give out are to the brewers and the beers. The standard of beer is just awesome.

I went to the SpecTapular at the Local Taphouse in St Kilda yesterday, 41 beers from craft and not so craft brewers around Australia. Of those 41 beers I hadn't tried 23, which is just about the number of beers/brewers that participated in the vic x-mas in july swap. So the upshot is that on 2 consecutive days, I went to two quite comparably sized beer tasting events. One pro and one am. Sorry to the pros out there, but the ams won this round by TKO. There were enough truly good beers at SpecTapular so that you couldn't say pro was on its face drooling on the canvas - but the ref certainly had to step in to stop the carnage before anyone got seriously hurt.

Of 21 beers I tasted at SpecTapular there were two maybe three "wow thats good" beers, another 3 or 4 "nice" beers and the rest were average at best; with a couple of just poor examples and one that got tipped in a pot plant because I couldn't finish even a 60ml sample of the swill. 3 Ravens can't make a bad beer and their Uber Special Bitter was the best of the day.

But all that took 3 hours and cost me 25 bucks - and within 30mins of walking into Fents' place I had tried more truly good beer than I got all day at SpecTaplular (there were far more nice looking girls in StKilda though..)

Rejoice all ye homebrewers, your stuff is at or better standard than the majority of the beer you can pay for - and in some cases on a level with the best of it.

Thanks again Fents

Thirsty

PS - got to qualify myself. There were a lot of commercial beers at SpecTapular that I know are great, but I had tried before. I was concentrating on interstate stuff I hadn't tried before or usually cant get. So my survey sample was admittedly a little skewed.

Wardy, thanks for warning me about what you done to the meat before you cooked it, theres no way i was going to eat it.

You Geelong supporters are all the bloody same - stirrers every single one of you.

Everyone else need not worry, 10cc is only enough for 1 steak, and that was Rook's.

You Geelong supporters are all the bloody same - stirrers every single one of you.

Everyone else need not worry, 10cc is only enough for 1 steak, and that was Rook's.

what exactly is it we arent worrying about ward??

somehow i didnt think it would be that easy getting the full story on the exact substance ... if i did get any it does not appeared to have harmed me anyway ...

Some pics :

The Swap
DSC00096.jpg

Rook, Andrie (i think) and Q
DSC00098.jpg

The boys
DSC00099.jpg

Q and I
DSC00100.jpg

More Crew
DSC00102.jpg

Munchie Time
DSC00105.jpg

Laurie and Co
DSC00106.jpg

Dom and Ned (Barra)
DSC00112.jpg

Barra, Troy hairofthedog, Mick and Laurie
DSC00114.jpg

Half the setup
DSC00118.jpg

and this ones how it ended up
DSC00140.jpg

somehow i didnt think it would be that easy getting the full story on the exact substance ... if i did get any it does not appeared to have harmed me anyway ...

There wasn't any, Rook was stirring.

However, there was a pils/Cascade sauteed onion dish which no one's said anything about. Did anyone taste the Cascade goodness in the onions?

However, there was a pils/Cascade sauteed onion dish which no one's said anything about. Did anyone taste the Cascade goodness in the onions?

hahahahahahaha! when we woke up sun morning, rachel opens up the oven and sitting there in all their black burnt glory were a full plate of cascade onions i had put in the oven to keep warm but promptly forgot about them. my bad.

Just a quick question - can anyone say whether or not there might have been any binge drinking at this event? :blink:

i think the new guidelines may say there was spills , disgraceful arent we...

Back