Vic Xmas Case Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry guys i'll prob sit this one out...first one in a few years i'll be missing just got way to much on and need to concentrate on the bigger fish.
Book in now with the missus for a leave-pass for the night.

Man cannot live on sleep-deprivation and nappy-changes alone!

Let me preface this by saying that whatever happens, I'm not in the swap, so take the following in that context.

What if the swap had two divisions?

Type 1. I've been brewing for a while, have this killer recipe that I've brewed several/many times before and want to see how it stacks up against other 'been-brewing-for-a-while' brewers' killer recipes. I'm showing you my very best beer and am doing it this way rather than get caught up in the competition scene and having again to explain to my wife that there are no babes in bikinis shading the contestants with beach umbrellas.

Type 2. The Other Sort of Swapper. Those who want to taste a range of other beers for whatever reason or are looking for a reason to change the way they do things or just want to hang out with brewers or whatever...

Being a card-carrying grumpy old fart, I reckon case-swapping should be all about Type 1 plus the day of the swap, but I understand the attraction of Type 2 swapping.

This would allow for many more swap participants and any extra bottles from the brewing could be brought along to the swap for the romance of doing just that.

Let me preface this by saying that whatever happens, I'm not in the swap, so take the following in that context.

Type 1. I've been brewing for a while, have this killer recipe that I've brewed several/many times before and want to see how it stacks up against other 'been-brewing-for-a-while' brewers' killer recipes. I'm showing you my very best beer and am doing it this way rather than get caught up in the competition scene and having again to explain to my wife that there are no babes in bikinis shading the contestants with beach umbrellas.

Type 2. The Other Sort of Swapper. Those who want to taste a range of other beers for whatever reason or are looking for a reason to change the way they do things or just want to hang out with brewers or whatever...

Being a card-carrying grumpy old fart, I reckon case-swapping should be all about Type 1 plus the day of the swap, but I understand the attraction of Type 2 swapping.

This would allow for many more swap participants and any extra bottles from the brewing could be brought along to the swap for the romance of doing just that.

I hear what you're saying, but for me its all about sharing a beer, chewing the fat and perhaps getting some advice and feedback from a wide variety of brewers (both less and more experienced than me). If we were going to break it up into "divisions" or classes of brewers, you could strike me off the list straight away....

I hear what you're saying, but for me its all about sharing a beer, chewing the fat and perhaps getting some advice and feedback from a wide variety of brewers (both less and more experienced than me).

I don't see how the two concepts would be incompatible if there was a single swap day? Or am I missing something?

I propose we keep the swap at 28 swappers BUT...

We have 4 divisions of 7 swappers each. Initially, the 4 divisions are randomly filled. During swap tasting, we rank each beer. The bottom 2 from each division get knocked down, the top 2 get knocked up. The bottom 2 of division 4 (the lowest division) get knocked out of the next swap and 2 new swappers come in.

Nothing like some healthy competition to get the brewing juices flowing. Plus it leaves us with plenty of test bottles to ensure the batch is OK.

I genuinly *cough* believe this can work. Who's with me?

:rolleyes: "cough"
No Zebba, I dont think can work, how you going to judge the beer? on a 1-10? or pull out the BJCP on every given beer? Beers should not have to be to a style nor ranked.

Good post Spills. I will always have a browse at the contributors before I commit myself, selfish? maybe but I am am going to be putting in some serious effort, and dont really want a swag of "maybes" in return.

I don't see how the two concepts would be incompatible if there was a single swap day? Or am I missing something?

Were you proposing that all the super experienced brewers swap brews amongst themselves and the noobs swap amongst themselves? If that's the case, how do I as a noob AG brewer (realitively anyway) gain tasting notes and feedback from experienced brewers?

Spills contribution to the case swap thread:

1073-1.jpg

:D

Is that really what spills proposed?

I don't think you need 10 years of experience to have a pride and joy recipe to showcase. I know that the beer I put in the July swap was something I'd tried to refine to get it how I want it over a few iterations and I believe it represented the best I could brew at that time. The swapping it has given feedback that (I hope) will take me to the next level in my brewing.

A few other people (and I'm not bagging them, please be sure of this!) did something more experimental, treating the swap as something to get out and try some different stuff with other people.

Personally, I like getting a mix of "here is my best, FWIW" and "here's something I thought I'd try - whaddya think?". I understand that some others might not.

IMO, FWIW, etc, etc.

Don't overcomplicate things guys - just brew your best beer that isn't infected, represents you and have a laugh, a good day and a bit of roast pig/goat/pork. If people feel like they get a rough deal then sit a swap or two out, then get back in when the time is right. People who do take part should just make sure they're a bit organised and make a good effort. Sometimes bad beers happen to good brewers.

Spills- in your breakdown of types, I would fit neither. I'm not new but I'm not super experienced either.

I don't think swaps should become too rigidly competitive. People should just take some pride in what they produce and leave competition to comps. I realise zebba was stirring (only 'cos he told me - I'm a bit thick)

Anyway even though I'm not in this swap, I will be in future ones so thought I'd give my thoughts on it. I also think 28 bottles can stretch the friendship (or at least make it difficult to check what you're giving which is very important in my book) as much as I welcome new faces and flavours.

Were you proposing that all the super experienced brewers swap brews amongst themselves and the noobs swap amongst themselves? If that's the case, how do I as a noob AG brewer (realitively anyway) gain tasting notes and feedback from experienced brewers?

Nope. I'm proposing that it be acknowledged that people look to case swaps for different things and that some of these things can be accommodated, along with more than a single-batch-sized number of swappers. First-In, Best-Dressed doesn't work for people who only read AHB occasionally. Not everyone would or could brew a batch big enough to accommodate 84 participants.

An experienced brewer could participate in the Type 2 swap if they had a beer they wanted to enter into that swap and I guess many would to get feedback on a new technique or recipe or *whatever*.

On the day of the swap, you can choose who you hang out with (assuming consensual barbecuing, etc) and, as I said, any left-over beer brewed for the swap can still be brought along for general tasting...

Edit: I just realised that my current standard batch size would not accommodate a Swap of 28 bottles - I'd have to brew a double-batch...

Here's a simple idea, but it would require consensus.

How about we change the bottling requirement to use the smaller, 650ml bottles you can get from your LHBS?

28 x 650ml = 18.2 lt

This would require people to either buy a bunch of new 650ml bottles (if they don't already have enough), or suck it up and accept that they may get only 650ml back in exchange for the 750ml bottle they put into the swap.

Just chucking it up in the air to see what comes down...

you bring 28 to save confusion... believe me...

Bottle size... really not fussed...

brewing numbers (28 or 24)... again happy to go with the flow, can easily accomodate either requirement...

Split swaps... Spills idea has some merit, but I wouldn't say I necessarily support it. Nothing to stop a second lot of swappers - whether they are accomodated at the same swap day or set up as a second event is another issue, but more attendees that the 28 + random non-swap attendees starts to stretch the friendship for most swap hosts and those that they report to.

Just my 2c worth...

Type 1. I've been brewing for a while, have this killer recipe that I've brewed

Type 2. The Other Sort of Swapper.
I think the concept has merit however I'm not sure how it would work out in reality.

The (many) people who have not entered case swaps in the past due to a 'fear' of their beer being judged, could enter a bottle in the case swap and not have to stress about critique.
However, I don't know if that alone is enough to encourage another 20 or so more people, or if they'll even fit at Chris's place!
So unless there are 40+ people interested in swapping beer, one category will have a few entries, and the other would be half empty so it would be pointless.

Then there is the problem of 'division' and how/who decides what beer goes into each category, who will only participate if they are in the 'good' group and all those type of social dynamic issues involved with a 'good' group and a 'not so good' group, because that's how people will think of it even if you use different labels.

Then there is the problem of 'division' and how/who decides what beer goes into each category, who will only participate if they are in the 'good' group and all those type of social dynamic issues involved with a 'good' group and a 'not so good' group, because that's how people will think of it even if you use different labels.

What if I expressed it in terms of the Beer rather than the Brewer?

Type 1. Here is a beer I've made several times and I know it to be a forking killer. What do you think? I want what you think to be a forking killer in return.

Type 2. Here is a beer I made. I'm using a technique or an ingredient I've not used much (or at all) before. What do you think? I want some beer you made in return.

That makes a lot more sense. Still not sure the swaps need too much complication though. What they do need is for any participants to recognise that by joining they are making a commitment to make their effort the best they can and KNOW what they are giving others before they give it (even if it's not perfect or to everyone's taste.

We should start a new thread on 'how would you improve the VIC case swaps?'

Latest posts

Back