Vic Xmas Case Swap 2010 - Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siborg

Reaction score
Just thought I'd get this one started seeing as Leigh has already knocked 4 or 5 down.

Given I asked, I should post notes...

9. Seemax - Galactic Casarillo Ale

Poured golden amber with a lovely creamy 1/2 inch head that lasted the whole glass. On tasting this is an extremely well balanced beer with a very pleasing hop complexity. A full bodied beer that has a definite hop bite as it passes over the tongue.

Overall a very nice beer. Well done Seemax.

2. Zebba - VPA

Lovely citrus aroma escaping the bottle on opening. Poured amber in colour with nice carbonation. I found this beer very refreshing until swallowing, and then kapow the hops kick in!

Not a session beer like Seemax's, but a lovely beer nonetheless.

19. Haysie - American Brown

...and what an angry beer this one is...brown in colour, thick tan coloured head that lasted the whole glass. Beautiful hoppy fresh on tasting, followed by malt and then roast and more roast with just a touch of chocolate.

Yet another great beer Haysie.

Then I tried the next two back to back as the recipes are so close...

7. MeLoveBeer - Irish Red Ale
17. Leigh - Irish Red Ale

Both of these beers are similar in colour, carbonation and head retention...that is a deep reddish brown (more towards the brown), with low carbonation and little head...both have a lovely slick mouthfeel with crystal sweetness. Overall, #7 was a more drinkable session beer while mine had more pronounced hop and malt profiles and was a drier beer.

5 beers down, and all were great beers, but with only 10 to go I might be finished shortly...that is IF I manage to smuggle them out of Michaela's house before she drinks them all lmao

1. Chris - Saison

Not too sure what a saison is but.

It poured clear, a little haze, low white head, low to med carbonation. golden colour.

as always a very good beer

5. mxd - ESB

I think my dry hop should be dropped/lowered or not Styrian Goldings ? I think I am more an A hop fan but this my be shouldn't have so much dry hop ? I will keep trying to "perfect" an ESB

haysie - American brown

Agree with Leigh on this one. Nice clean hop flavour first up with some solid roast there as well. Carbonation was good, with nice small bubbles. Very thick mouthfeel, which left a touch of sweetness on the pallett.

Couldn't fault it, haysie. Superb, even though I was expecting a lager (honestly didn't know what it was until I started drinking it)

1. Chris - Saison

Never had a Saison before, and all I know is they are supposed to be refreshing. So, upon returning from a basketball game played in ridiculous heat, I cracked this open. It hit the spot. Perfectly. That's all I have to say on the subject. Thanks Chris

19. Haysie - American Brown

...and what an angry beer this one is...

:angry: .........??? You better believe it, I needed that CPBF yesterday, the Helles Bock sitting on sugar :icon_vomit: is even bloody angrier.

Drop me a line when your available so I can collect some liquid amber and the, yeah filler thingo. Glad you enjoyed it :)

haysie - American brown

Agree with Leigh on this one. Nice clean hop flavour first up with some solid roast there as well. Carbonation was good, with nice small bubbles. Very thick mouthfeel, which left a touch of sweetness on the pallett.

Couldn't fault it, haysie. Superb, even though I was expecting a lager (honestly didn't know what it was until I started drinking it)

Cheers Si, Glad it agreed with you. Sure I did add the recipe in the recipe thread,,, aha but didnt update the Wiki.. there you go!
This is fast becoming a regular house beer that I keep adjusting trying to find the perfect balance between brown malt and lotsa yankee hops.

11. Cocko- dark APA

Poured a nice dence white head, deep copper colour.

Great citrusy, grapefruit aromas. Balanced with a slight favour towards bitterness. Residual sweetness is noticeable, quickly subdued by the hop bitterness. The sweetness isn't cloying at all.

Overall a great one. Nice hop bitterness, kept in check by a big malt backbone. Bloody awesome.

I've been a bit crook. I soldiered on and tried Seemax's cascadian gaxarillo tettuggle heraaz but my sense of taste is shot. Being the crafty bugger I am though I stole an extra of that one so I'll try it again when the pallate is able to taste more than the growth on my tonsils.

Had a sneak preview of your Scottish Ale last night, but didn't take tasting notes :icon_cheers:
Had a schooner of it last night (was still some in the keg). I'm my own worst critic but I love it

FYI, and a chance to blow my own trumpet...

My Black IPA (#3 in the case swap) got 2nd place at this week's Brewshare night at the Local Taphouse.

I had thought it might need a little longer to carb up, but she's good and ready to go.

Enjoy.

FYI, and a chance to blow my own trumpet...

My Black IPA (#3 in the case swap) got 2nd place at this week's Brewshare night at the Local Taphouse.

Can't say that I'm surprised given the quality of your beers I sampled at the swap. Kudo's on the 2nd place mate.

I've been a bit crook. I soldiered on and tried Seemax's cascadian gaxarillo tettuggle heraaz but my sense of taste is shot. Being the crafty bugger I am though I stole an extra of that one so I'll try it again when the pallate is able to taste more than the growth on my tonsils.

Shame on you for wasting !! Hope you enjoy the 2nd bottle.

Your APA was great , delightful aroma and hop flavour that lasts the entire sip - a definite quaffer in my book :)

Pours cloudy with an abundant white head.

No need to search too hard for the hops in this one. Can smell them a mile away.

Good creamy mouthfeel, high carbonation. Slight phenolic possibly from the yeast in suspension.

Good firm bitterness to finish it out.

Very refreshing.

1. Chris - Saison

Not too sure what a saison is but.

It poured clear, a little haze, low white head, low to med carbonation. golden colour.

as always a very good beer

Think it was within the ballpark of what a Saison is. Go to Purvis and get a bottle of Saison Dupont if you want to try the real thing.

The bottled versions seems to be down significantly on carbonation which is a pity. You will have to come around and try some out of the keg sometime.

1. Chris - Saison

Never had a Saison before, and all I know is they are supposed to be refreshing. So, upon returning from a basketball game played in ridiculous heat, I cracked this open. It hit the spot. Perfectly. That's all I have to say on the subject. Thanks Chris

Thanks Zebba

:angry: .........??? You better believe it, I needed that CPBF yesterday, the Helles Bock sitting on sugar :icon_vomit: is even bloody angrier.

Drop me a line when your available so I can collect some liquid amber and the, yeah filler thingo. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Cheers Si, Glad it agreed with you. Sure I did add the recipe in the recipe thread,,, aha but didnt update the Wiki.. there you go!
This is fast becoming a regular house beer that I keep adjusting trying to find the perfect balance between brown malt and lotsa yankee hops.

Woo hoo, the lager has morphed into one of my favourite styles, and I ended up scoring 5 bottles. Christmas certainly did come early this year :)

FYI, mine should be okay to drink whenever now... opened a bottle last night and the carbonation seemed fine.

All I can say is... Wow that's tasty! :)

Mxd esb. Nom nom nom nom!

Ok, giddyup...

Pretty cloudy, but a nice pale orange colour. Have a smell, and as they say in the ads "The Citra really Hits-ya" (boom, tish). Firm bitterness, lots of hops flavour. A good beer, mate. You should have brought this one along to Brewshare the other night.

17. Leigh - Irish Red Ale (Better Red than Dead)
Not a big fan of this style personally, but this is pretty clear, with a nice dark mahogany-red colour. No evidence of sediment thanks to that cpbf! Aroma is malty and sweet. Taste is a bit too malty, a little "flabby" for me, but is to style. This is a well made beer, but just no to my preferences.

Back