Vic Xmas 2009 Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High Density Poly Ethylene (I pretty sure thats it)

Cheers SJ

edit: sorry, i missed the bit about the reading (6) and ended up making a Capt'n Obvious statement do'h!

High Density Poly Ethylene (I pretty sure thats it)

Cheers SJ

edit: sorry, i missed the bit about the reading (6) and ended up making a Capt'n Obvious statement do'h!
I'd be keen to find out what code (if any) HDPE is UV stabilised. I've had everything from jerry cans, fermenters, Bunning's plastic tubs, etc. go apaque and brittle in the sun. A lot of plastic ending up in the bin over the years. The black plastic, OTOH, doesn't seem to suffer UV issues (touch wood!)

Not to mention you are getting it for free! ;)

You're right - it's rather a privilege getting this without formally entering beers into a comp. Thanks again guys.
I have a bit to learn before I start entering Vicbrew and such: ;)
mly0706l.jpg

You're right - it's rather a privilege getting this without formally entering beers into a comp. Thanks again guys.
I have a bit to learn before I start entering Vicbrew and such: ;)
mly0706l.jpg

Smaller comps are a good way to start... good opportunity to get unbiased feedback as opposed to mates who will piss in your pockets for a free beer (or 10).

Check out the Beerfest thread for a comp coming up late Feb - perfect time to get brewing mate.

Brendo

2. Maple - Rye IPA - Dec 1 onwards.

Very dominant hop aroma, slight spiciness presumably from the malt. No noticeable esters. Very clean

Score: 8/12

Persistent off white head, some lacing. Deep golden colour, slightly hazy.

Score: 2/3

Very dominant hop flavour

Dry finish

Strong bitterness

Very clean

Rye malt is hard to detect with all the hop action going on. I must admit with my relatively inexperience in rye that I would pressed to describe the flavours that it adds to this example. I get a hint of it right at the end after the hop flavour and with the finishing bitterness, but not enough to satisfy my curiosity of what it would be like in a less hop dominated beer.

I also think that what rye flavour in there is blending very well with the selected hop flavours to the point that it is almost camouflaged.

No noticeable esters.

Score: 16/20

Full body. I expect some of that is due to the rye.

Medium carbonation

Noticeable alcohol.

Score: 4/5

This is another great IPA Maple. Absolute bucket loads of hop character. Bitterness is right up there (probably at about my personal limit, but appreciate that for some there are no bounds).

Very full bodied but well balanced. Dry finish really sets it off inviting you to come back for another mouthful.

My only criticism is that if you are going to putting some interesting like rye in there, don't steam-roll over the top of it with a hop bomb.

But seriously great beer.

Score: 7/10

Overall Score: 37/50

I've been slack lately, both in tasting and in writing what I've tasted up.

The last 3 sampled were:
6. CM2 - Aussie Gold Digger Lager
8. Chris Taylor - Pale Yarra (Australian/English pale ale)
24. Wonderwoman - summer ale

All of them did what they advertised and hit the spot nicely. Nothing negative about any of them. Thanks

I for one am extremely disappointed at the infection my beer appears to have got. A few firsts for me on this batch, first liquid yeast, first time fermented in the shed (instead of the house), and first time bottled in the shed...I suspect I have picked up something floating around in the shed (thinking pollen-borne), but also won't use a liquid yeast anytime soon either :(

Don't be too disheartend Leigh, don't think of the infection as a reason to pull back on your brewing, but a rather unfortunate (and public) opportunity to have a look at your process and make a few improvements.

Home brewing is a hobby about constant tinkering, experimenting and hopefully improvement!!

Cheers SJ

I for one am extremely disappointed at the infection my beer appears to have got. A few firsts for me on this batch, first liquid yeast, first time fermented in the shed (instead of the house), and first time bottled in the shed...I suspect I have picked up something floating around in the shed (thinking pollen-borne), but also won't use a liquid yeast anytime soon either :(

Don't give up on the liquids just yet mate.

hey at least your taps were probably cleaner than mine!

Thanks for the kind words fellas, no problems with me stopping brewing just yet...just need to find time again! A little annoyed with myself more than anything!

I have yet to check my taps Fents, have a CO2 leak I have to find first...

So do you get the picture that it just aint all working well at my place right now? A few weeks off over Xmas will hopefully sort it all out :chug:

19. Fents - cream ale

SPEWING! This was a great beer out of the tap!!!
Had a sip, and was very dissapointed! Gave Dan a sip(I told him it was your cream ale), and he made a funny face...
Oh well next time... I'm making a cream ale tomorrow, if I get pilsner grain cracked tonight(and maybe a swim)!

Thanks for the kind words fellas, no problems with me stopping brewing just yet...just need to find time again! A little annoyed with myself more than anything!

I have yet to check my taps Fents, have a CO2 leak I have to find first...

So do you get the picture that it just aint all working well at my place right now? A few weeks off over Xmas will hopefully sort it all out :chug:
Hey Leigh, I know it's really dissapointing loosing a batch, even more so with the expense of trying a liquid yeast , but don't give up on the liquids with one bad experience. It's been said many times before, and I'm strongly of the opinion that you just can't get the same quality and complexity of flavours from dried yeast, despite their obvious convenience and simplicity. The key to liquids, IMHO, is to kick it off with a good sized starter (say 1-2Ltr) a few days before pitching into the brew. A stir-plate really helps too!

Hope you get your CO2 issues sorted, and back brewing again soon.

#23: Brewmeister70: Ringwood Special Bitter

Pours with a tight white head that thins.

Colour is golden/amber, slightly hazy

Aroma is malty with a slight hint of hop.

Malty flavours with a hint of toffee/caramel. Lingering subtle bitterness which nicely balances out that malt and caramel. Full bodied, medium-low carbonation which suits perfectly.

Not much more to say except this is a really nice beer. I'm going to attempt to culture the yeast from the bottle. As much my personal preference for malty styles of ale as anything else but I'd probably rate the russian imperial stout and this as my favourites of the swap so far.

I'll be checking the recipe thread for this one.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Manticle. It was very experimental with the Belgian malts (as well as that weirdo oat crystal malt) and a yeast I'd never tried in my beers but was good out of the keg.

It's also good that you got to it after the green apple character has subsided because mine in the swap bottle tasted a week ago was very different to the kegged version, which I understand has been a problem for bottles filled over the hot nights of the swap period.

If you were a fan of this, Hutch gave me some great feedback in recipe development as he knows this yeast and style well. Maybe PM him for some more input?

Cheers,

:icon_cheers:

#7: Brendo: Galaxy pale ale

I'm not sure if this is the same beer we brewed at the ABBD.

Pours with a tight white head, dissipates to thin lacing which remains.

Colour - amber/brown. Good clarity.

Slight hop aroma with maltiness underneath. Light toffee notes.

Medium carbonation, sherberty mouthfeel, nice body. Rich maltiness with fruitiness from the hops, light lingering bitterness.

Seems really well balanced to me. More malt as it warms. There's a slight tang of something at the end of the palate as it warms up though - not sure what that is. One of those things that's so subtle you wonder if it's your imagination which it well might be. If no other brewer picks it up it probably is. Otherwise delicious.

I have my last bottle of ABBD galaxy saved as the phenolics seemed to dissipate with time so if there's any of yours and SJ's left we should do that comparative tasting. Obviously I'll bring some more successful beers along as well.

7: Brendo: Galaxy pale ale

As above, with regard to the taste and smell. I'm not a big fan of Galaxy, but it's not as "in your face" as some beers I've tried.

Saying that, I find the body, and maltiness, a little too heavy. I still think it's a good beer, but I'd be looking for something a little lighter for a casual Friday night drink.

( B ) Thanks, Brendo

Edit: Just read your recipe, and I guess the reason I'm not getting as much overt passionfruit on the nose is yours is mostly a 20 min addition or more.

Been too busy to take detailed notes, but in summary...

#7 - Good beer but was also expecting a more "in your face" fruitiness.

#5 - 4*'s Viet Lager hit the spot on a hot day. Excellent replication of the "style".

#24 - WW's summer ale has been one of my faves.... do you have any left to perhaps swap with ??

#15 - One of the better weizens I've tried recently, nice and subtle... low on phelonics.

#10 - Excellent porter, went very quickly!!

#19 - cream ale... serious vinegar action.. sorry (not that I can talk)

#17a - mid range IPA, good hop bite, decent maltiness... but too fruity for me (S-04 yeah?)

Back