Vic Xmas 2009 Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#20: Gava: Golden ale

Good head, dissipates to thin but remains with lacing.

Golden colour, hazy.

Aroma: This will sound odd but it smells like beer - the kind of smell that you associate with beer when you're younger (but fresh tap beer not warmed up dregs after a night at your mate's house party).
A little bit of orange.

Flavour: Again I get a bit of orange. Not overly hopped (which is a nice change from the last few even though I've enjoyed them - just a nice difference). Not overly malty either although I get a bit in there. Carbonation is highish but still gives me that sherbert tingle I mentioned before (I mean highish for me not for all and sundry). Burps too.

Nothing over the top and pretty well balanced. There are ways I could suggest tweaking it but they would all be personal preference. I think you've probably hit the nail on the head as far as balancing everything up and making something sessionable that beer lovers of the swill variety AND beer lovers of the craft variety could sit down and enjoy together. Not an easy thing to do. Hope that makes sense.

whats this bjcp?

manticle : cheers for the feedback.. I do like this beer.. I had one lastnight to see if it'll be suitable to drink... It was nice but not the best i've.. may havae been different in kegs..

10. Manticle: Robust Porter

I started out only 12 months ago not being a fan of ANY dark beers. It's the coffee flavour given off by some of the darker grains that didn't sit well with me. I know "Doesn't like coffee? Freak". Thems the breaks.

But, in the interests of broadening my horizons, I've been trying different porters, stouts and dark ales, to develop my pallette, knowing I'm missing out on stuff cause I'm a bit of a girls blouse. Over this time, I've come to enjoy a subtle background roast flavour. Still can't enjoy the in your face, espresso in a pint glass stouts though.

This beer has nailed it, for my tastes. There is a roast flavour, but it's background, and just adds to the beer, doesn't swamp it. But more then the taste, I loved the colour - crimson red coming out of the bottle, and an inky dark mahogony in the glass. It's almost a shame to have to drink it.

A lovely beer, and evidence that my efforts to develop a roasty grain pallette are worth the tears I went through to get to this stage.

Also, the wife says that she really likes it. I force feed her a small amount of everything I try, and to date, she has said that about 4 beers - one of WarmBeers porters, Unibroue Trois Pistoles, Chimay White, and now this. High praise indeed, and she stressed that I pass on to you her positive thoughts also.

Edit: The last few mouthfuls I got a slightly vinous or port like flavour. Would that be a malt flavour, or a sign of mild oxidation? Either way, I like it. And what was the alc %, cause I've got that nice cruisy feeling right about now :)

Chris Taylor's Pale Yarra

Mid-amber, high carbonation, moussy off-white head with good retention and bright clarity.

Grassy/herbal hop nose of medium intensity. Has a rich toasty/biscuity malt coming through at about the same intensity as the hops, also some nice "British" style esters.

A rich malty beer with complexity generated through a large hit of flavour hops (marmalade, lemon rind and earthy) but not an overly-bitter finish or harsh as might be expected from the big hop flavour. The alcohol is the only real pointer that this beer is squarely in the ESB range.

I really enjoyed the more balanced approach to bitterness that this beer displays which lets the malt come out as a highlight simular to Beer Dingo's offering.

Maybe not what you originally had in mind but a really nice outcome Chris! Cheers :beer:

#26 Kenlock's Bright Ale

No head retention in my glass, low carbonation, very hazy and straw coloured.

Predominant attribute of the nose is honeyed apple with some faint peachy hops.

Taste is muted with doughy malt, low-medium bitterness and some low-level fruity hop flavour that seems to be the biggest flavour element. Some sulphury/yeasty flavours not really adding to the to the experience in a positive way - maybe watch time spent on primary yeast fermentation yeast cake to be under ten-days if applicable with this recipe/yeast? Possibly go the other way if appropriate as there are acetaldehyde issues as this warms: this tastes kind of "worty" and not fermented out properly which could potentially be remedied by pitching a larger starter and leaving it on the yeast until activity slows before racking to a secondary fermenter if you did this. Otherwise, the green apple flavour (acetaldehyde) doesn't get converted to less obvious green beer flavours in your final brew.

In short, I can't tell by tasting what it what this is supposed to be and find it high in fermentation by-products and low on identifying characteristics such as malt character, bitterness level, finish hopping and visual cues like colour, carbonation level and head retention. It has potential but needs work in in the processing to more clearly realise the beer flavours as intended Kenlock. Looking forward to trying your next swap effort. Cheers,

Brewmeister70

@Zebba:

OG was somewhere in the high 1050s. FG was close to 1010 - 1012. I guess around 6-6.5 percent?

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm hoping I've avoided oxidation. Not expert enough to pick the vinous quality so I'll leave that to one of those BJCP guys if they're happy to chime in. Hopefully it's malt and a bit of age. Glad your wife liked it too. My lady enjoyed the bottles we had (she's a fan of darker beers)

As an aside - I'm interested in the BJCP people's personal opinions outside of style as well. There's been a couple of beers in this swap that I've tried that maybe between categories (Chris Taylor's seemed like Australian, English and American pale ale all rolled into one) that were smashing beers so while style guidelines are interesting, especially from those training in it, I think you should give us more.

Sorry if I'm a demanding prick.

Thanks for the critic BM70. But I wouldn't be drinking this until at least the 11/12 (as stated)

Food for thought in regards to fermentation.

Will try myself before this date and let others know if it needs more time.

Cheers Ken

Actually mate it says 11/10 in the wiki so you might want to change that. I was going to try mine tomorrow. I'll wait now.

Actually mate it says 11/10 in the wiki so you might want to change that. I was going to try mine tomorrow. I'll wait now.

Cheers for that. My mistake.

Being ready before I brewed it! Could be the way forward!?

I hope nobody else has been misled.

Cheers Ken

That makes sense from what I was tasting. Sorry Kenlock - I was expecting a reasonably mature beer from the wiki and yours at the moment so isn't. At least it's headed off at the pass. Thanks for that Manticle.

That makes sense from what I was tasting. Sorry Kenlock - I was expecting a reasonably mature beer from the wiki and yours at the moment so isn't. At least it's headed off at the pass. Thanks for that Manticle.

No, No, my fault BM70. Good (and unknown to me) information about fermentation and the flavours that can be imparted at various stages. If it turns out alright I'll get you another bottle.

Cheers Ken

Good news, I grabbed one of the spare bottles i had left from my batch. This beer is all carbed up and ready to go (i though it would take a little longe, but meh who's complaining?). Drink up lads!

Will update the wiki.

Cheers SJ

Klieny - Munich Helles

Not having tried this style before, it was new ground for me. Great beer, thoroughly enjoyed it! I don't think there is much i can add that hasn't already been said about this beer.

Well done Klieny!

Cheers SJ

#10 Manticle Robust Porter 12A

Aroma: Sweet and roasty malt aroma with low choc, slightly bready and some fruity maybe raisin from malt, little to no hop aroma and very clean.
9/12

Appearance: Good heady poor initially with the head off white tan in color but dissipates and leaves a slight ring around the glass, The head is fairly lose with larger bubbles. The color is great with a dark brown and ruby look opaque to almost clear just hard to tell on the darker beers.
2/3

Flavour: Roasty and choc with a grainy backbone, malt up front with a great roasty character, i do find some fruity raisiny quality within the beer brought maybe by the aroma but backed up by the malt, balance is on the malt side with enough bitterness from both malt and hops. I dont really get much astringency or alc warmth. I did get a little spice as well which added to complexity.
17/20

Mouthfeel:Med body with a med to high carbonation which is great for style, Creamy moutfeel, I do detect a slight diacetyl with a buttery like coating of the mouth.
3.5/5

Overall: Great impression and im glad to have half a bottle left to really enjoy, It shows good style with roast and choc flavours the raisin not out of place. Some bready from yeast profile possibly and some spice, the dark malts help to balance along with the hop additions, Great job. I would just look at maybe taking the alc/vol up a little and reduceing the attenuation to be a bit fuller in the mouth feel and bring out the malt. The slight diacetyl is not an issue in this style and does not detract from the beer. You could always add a little more complexity in the recipe.
8/10

Total 39.5
Excellent, exemplifies style well, requires minor fine tuning.

Manticle, great beer and will be sitting down to enjoy the rest of the bottle i think with the feedback above and from others you can adjust this into a great beer for the Robust Porter style. I didnt get any oxidation within the profile so i dont know what you are worrying about.

Kleiny

I didnt get any oxidation within the profile so i dont know what you are worrying about.
It was in response to a comment from me. I got what I thought seemed like a slight vinous/port flavour, which I think is the raisin flavour you mentioned. I was merely questioning whether that was an oxidation flavour or a malt flavour. From your review, I'm concluding it's a malt flavour.

Oxidation flavours i find to be like a cardboard type flavour, aroma, vibe. its all about the vibe.

Good work trying to figure out flavours and aromas but zebba keep it up

Oxidation flavours i find to be like a cardboard type flavour, aroma, vibe. its all about the vibe.

Good work trying to figure out flavours and aromas but zebba keep it up
LOL. I'd read that some big beers take on a port like quality as they age which is due to mild oxidation in the bottle. Don't ask where I read it. If I even read it. Maybe it was all in a dream? If it was a dream it was certainly better then last nights - who would have known that one man could slaughter so many people?

It was in response to a comment from me. I got what I thought seemed like a slight vinous/port flavour, which I think is the raisin flavour you mentioned. I was merely questioning whether that was an oxidation flavour or a malt flavour. From your review, I'm concluding it's a malt flavour.
Zeb, in answer to this, the dark fruit/vinuous flavors can and certainly be attributable to the malt. Have a look at the descriptions for dingemanns special b malt

Zeb, in answer to this, the dark fruit/vinuous flavors can and certainly be attributable to the malt. Have a look at the descriptions for dingemanns special b malt
Yeah, I've read up on special B, and I'm currently culturing up some Unibroue dregs with special B in mind :)

In other news...

2. Maple - Rye IPA

I'm a hop head, through and through. No amount of hops is too much - at least, in my experience to date! As a result, most the commercial beers I purchase tend to be IPA variants of some sort or another. And most of them leave me underwhealmed, with an impression that they are brewing more for the label than the legend. This one hasn't.

Smells like what an IPA should smell like. Bitterness is big and bold. Body is thick and meaty. Head is creamy, and sticks around.

The wife hated it. I loved it.

This is close to the beer I had in mind when I brewed my swap IPA. It's got balls. My only negative is that it seems a bit more "resiny" then I'd like - the resin flavours of the hops overwhealm the other flavours. But then again, that's also a strength.

Thanks maple. Label was tops also :)

Back