Vic X-mas In July 2009 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I just check out the back of the shed and there are 3 swaps left. I was getting worried for a minute. So Warmbeer and fourstar, your beers are safe.

OK, I just check out the back of the shed and there are 3 swaps left. I was getting worried for a minute. So Warmbeer and fourstar, your beers are safe.
thanks for the day mate .had a great time and met many keen brewers. pretty crook on sunday but have came good now. cheers mick ..kooinda,

thanks for the day mate .had a great time and met many keen brewers. pretty crook on sunday but have came good now. cheers mick ..kooinda,

sounds like my story Mick! Still feelin a little rusty today. Had a great chat with ya too mate! As long as my plans dont change, ill see you at transport tomorrow night for a beer and a hello!

Cheers!

hahahahahahaha. you were sideways by the time we finished up. was wicked to have you there mate.

well im back in action.

missus wasnt well enough to look after the kids so i was on kid duties for the swap. I sewem to have caught whatever the missus had and spend the next few days in bed. So I'll read the thread and see what I missed out on and who's got my swap. Im assuming brendo or Fents.

Hope the swap was a SMASHing success.

cheers Fents. I'll buzz you at some stage to come and get it this week. I need to start working my way thorugh these beers.

Brendo - I'll chuck a couple of dark belgians your way.

well ive read the thread and yup.... another Vic caseswap by the sounds of it. hilarity, mayhem, tonnes of beer, juvenile jokes etc. Bugger i missed it.

ive updated the wiki to reflect mines ready for drinking. could have been a little more carbed but as it was filled from the keg it aint going to carb up anymore, so drink away.

CM2,
I put a small bottle of 1187 slops in one of the nappy boxes.
Hope this was your case! Enjoy.
Hutch.

Thanks Hutch. Yup I figured no one else would use pink nappy boxes.

cheers

Someone left a couple of white containers that I'm guessing are for grains. Does the owner want to pick them up, or should I find a use for them?

Hey CM2,

I've heard that you may have the same taps as me.

I just bought a new font with 3 dorado taps with it.

Here's a link to just the taps:
http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/prod...baa7703f9f06089

I've only tried using the supplied beer line, that is at most 1.5 meter's long. However, it comes out really slow, and heaps of head. I've tried playing with the flow restrictor, but to no avail. A few people tried to get em working at the swap, but no go.

So, i was just wondering if you had any tips/tricks to get them pouring happily.

Admitedly when I'm not so pissed, and have a keg that is not stuck (hops in beer out), I might be able to get it cranking. But any help would be good.

Cheers
Dingo

What ID is your beer line? 1.5mtrs sounds quite short to me, even at 5mm ID.

I'm not sure how these taps compare to Cellis, and therefore how the flow-restrictor works - they may well be responsible for turbulence, and therefore foaming.

I would suggest you first try to back off the flow restriction, and lengthen one of your beer lines to at least 3mtrs of 5mmID Flexmaster.
Then adjust your gas to about 80kPa, and see if you get a good poor from a properly carbed keg.

2-3mtrs of 5mm line is typical for a well-balanced system. 6mm line you would need even longer to prevent foaming

What ID is your beer line? 1.5mtrs sounds quite short to me, even at 5mm ID.

I'm not sure how these taps compare to Cellis, and therefore how the flow-restrictor works - they may well be responsible for turbulence, and therefore foaming.

I would suggest you first try to back off the flow restriction, and lengthen one of your beer lines to at least 3mtrs of 5mmID Flexmaster.
Then adjust your gas to about 80kPa, and see if you get a good poor from a properly carbed keg.

2-3mtrs of 5mm line is typical for a well-balanced system. 6mm line you would need even longer to prevent foaming

Yeah, longer line was the first thing I was gonna try. I think I used to use 2-3 meters (whatever G&G recomended for the line I was using). They're just not all the easy to change. Might try it tonight. Not sure what the ID is. Fat on the outside, but thick walls, so it's got a thin center, maybe 5mm. Just thought that if the guy sent it with that size tubing it should work, but hey, he probably just chucked something on. I was hoping to not have to fill the fridge with 9 meter's of beer line.

And yes, I've tried backing off on the flow restricter, but it doesn't do anything.

Cheers for the suggestions Hutch!

Yeah, longer line was the first thing I was gonna try. I think I used to use 2-3 meters (whatever G&G recomended for the line I was using). They're just not all the easy to change. Might try it tonight. Not sure what the ID is. Fat on the outside, but thick walls, so it's got a thin center, maybe 5mm. Just thought that if the guy sent it with that size tubing it should work, but hey, he probably just chucked something on. I was hoping to not have to fill the fridge with 9 meter's of beer line.

And yes, I've tried backing off on the flow restricter, but it doesn't do anything.

Cheers for the suggestions Hutch!

I recently went from 2mtrs of 6mm to 4mtrs of 5mm beer line for my kegs, and made a big difference. There is an article on the AHB wiki that goes into a fair bit of detail on it beerDingo

Hey CM2,

I've heard that you may have the same taps as me.

I just bought a new font with 3 dorado taps with it.

Here's a link to just the taps:
http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/prod...baa7703f9f06089

I've only tried using the supplied beer line, that is at most 1.5 meter's long. However, it comes out really slow, and heaps of head. I've tried playing with the flow restrictor, but to no avail. A few people tried to get em working at the swap, but no go.

So, i was just wondering if you had any tips/tricks to get them pouring happily.

Admitedly when I'm not so pissed, and have a keg that is not stuck (hops in beer out), I might be able to get it cranking. But any help would be good.

Cheers
Dingo
I have celli taps. they look similar but are differant. with the cellis i can any length of beer line I want and it pour exactly the same. perfect. So I cant really help you. but the other posts above seem to have all the details you need.

has anyone else started brewing their cubes of green bullet smash or DSGA? i put my golden ale cube onto a yeast cake of notto last night and added some water to 23L, also a bit of dex to get the OG to 1048. it's hammering away strongly at 16 degrees at the moment. smelled great out of the cube!

has anyone else started brewing their cubes of green bullet smash or DSGA? i put my golden ale cube onto a yeast cake of notto last night and added some water to 23L, also a bit of dex to get the OG to 1048. it's hammering away strongly at 16 degrees at the moment. smelled great out of the cube!

Did you use a whole yeast cake? It's not a great idea to use a whole yeast cake if you would like some hop flavour left in your beer, plus also by using too much yeast you miss out on some flavour development.
Hop oils coat the yeast cells, this is how they act as a anti-bacterial agent as well, by having a large excess of yeast this basically acts as a big oil sponge, sucking out all your hop flavour.
Nottingham is actually renowned for removing a bit of hop flavour as well, so for a hop accented beer people often pick something like us-05 or something that leaves a lot of hop flavour.
Don't get me wrong, i love nottingham, but this info is just to help you pick your horses for courses.
If you were going to repitch your nottingham yeastcake, better to go to mr malty's pitching calculator to work out how much slurry you need, then just pitch the required amount. Makes for a better beer imo.

Q

Pitched some proofed US05 on the SMASH on Monday. It's fermenting away at a furious rate.

has anyone else started brewing their cubes of green bullet smash or DSGA?
Very close Neill.

I have a 2Ltr starter of 1056 chilling atm. Will be pitching into the SMASH on the weekend, assuming the starter tastes OK (stepped up from an old slant).

Not that you can do much to change your yeast selection or pitching rate, but Q's advice is worth noting in future.
IMHO having made DrS GA a few times, you can do a lot worse than dry-hopping with a pinch of Amarillo toward the end of primary, and leave it there for a few days. 10-15 gms should be ample to give a bit of character, without going too over the top.

Alternatively you could ultra-late hop it using the old coffee-plunger method.
Keep us posted with how it turns out for you.
Hutch.

Latest posts

Back