Vic - Latrobe City Brewers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
Just curious if there are any lurkers from out this way?

I'm only recently getting into all grain brewing and could do with some hints/tips on where to source ingredients from locally to cut back on shipping bulky packages. And are there any brewing clubs in the area?

Cheers

Just curious if there are any lurkers from out this way?

I'm only recently getting into all grain brewing and could do with some hints/tips on where to source ingredients from locally to cut back on shipping bulky packages. And are there any brewing clubs in the area?

Cheers

Here is a thread that may be of interest to you. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=751675

I have never got around to going, a bit out of the way for me for a weekday night thingy. I assume its still functioning?
I cant speak for the AG supplies from YAH? maybe give them a buzz.

Other than that, IMO and experience all the other HBS closest to me sell crap, not having a go, just my experience.
I suggest you get in on a MELB grain bulk buy if you want to go that way.

Here is a thread that may be of interest to you. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=751675

I have never got around to going, a bit out of the way for me for a weekday night thingy. I assume its still functioning?
I cant speak for the AG supplies from YAH? maybe give them a buzz.

Other than that, IMO and experience all the other HBS closest to me sell crap, not having a go, just my experience.
I suggest you get in on a MELB grain bulk buy if you want to go that way.

G'day Beer4U. I agree with you on our LHBS being not so great - especially when it comes to AG - and their prices are murderous. YAH - the guy there says he can "get in" whatever I want, but isn't interested in discussing pricing, so I've never taken it any further.

I'd definitely be on the Melbourne bulk grain buy wagon if I had a mill, but I don't and don't foresee me getting one any time soon (financial reasons). Unless there is someone in my area who has a mill and wouldn't mind cracking up some grain on occasion (for whatever price).

Weeknights are tricky for me too - by the time the kid's routine is done I'm knackered. I'll take a squiz through the thread though. Cheers

G'day Beer4U. I agree with you on our LHBS being not so great - especially when it comes to AG - and their prices are murderous. YAH - the guy there says he can "get in" whatever I want, but isn't interested in discussing pricing, so I've never taken it any further.

I'd definitely be on the Melbourne bulk grain buy wagon if I had a mill, but I don't and don't foresee me getting one any time soon (financial reasons). Unless there is someone in my area who has a mill and wouldn't mind cracking up some grain on occasion (for whatever price).

Weeknights are tricky for me too - by the time the kid's routine is done I'm knackered. I'll take a squiz through the thread though. Cheers

Yep postage is a killer! i just factor it in as part of the "hobby" and don't really get tied up about it anymore.

I dont have a mill, the reason i have not " invested " in a mill, its a fairly large outlay and would also need to arrange very secure storage where i live, space not really a problem but rodents are. They will chew through hard plastic easy to get to feed ect, moisture would also concern me here with the very high rainfall.

Also i dont drink much, i like to make 10 - 14L batches. Keeps stocks fresh and gives me plenty of variety. So on that front i would still be getting spec grains posted to me anyway.

I have bought from G&G and CB by mail both good, for me at the moment Nige from BA has the best system, use the 3 and 5kg xpress post bags, great service.
LINKY

Yep postage is a killer! i just factor it in as part of the "hobby" and don't really get tied up about it anymore.

I dont have a mill, the reason i have not " invested " in a mill, its a fairly large outlay and would also need to arrange very secure storage where i live, space not really a problem but rodents are. They will chew through hard plastic easy to get to feed ect, moisture would also concern me here with the very high rainfall.

Also i dont drink much, i like to make 10 - 14L batches. Keeps stocks fresh and gives me plenty of variety. So on that front i would still be getting spec grains posted to me anyway.

I have bought from G&G and CB by mail both good, for me at the moment Nige from BA has the best system, use the 3 and 5kg xpress post bags, great service.
LINKY

You're out Yarram way, aren't you? (Was in the thread you linked). I have a mate out at Stradbroke... I know what you mean about rats (but the mozzies are worse out there!). Buggers of things. You'd probably need to get some steel bins, but yeah - not so worth it for half sized batches. I've been thinking about going to smaller volumes for the same reason, but I already have 19L kegs ... my plan is to just store a variety of beers in different kegs at cellar temps and just use counter pressure to fill a few bottles to chuck in the fridge when I want them. That way I won't run out for ages and can also choose from 4+ styles at any given time.

Even if I used a mill, I'd probably still need to get speciality grains shipped too, although I could just buy up in 5kg lots of the more popular ones. If I had a mill, I'd happily split shipping costs with you and mill you up what you need when you need it, but alas, that's $200-300 I can't justify at the volume I make beer at.

I think G&G has the most competative shipping (due to being in our state), but I like using Weyerman and they stock Bestmalz - I'm yet to compare side by side.

I haven't bought from BA as of yet. CB just seems to have the few items that other stores don't just when I need them... they're looking into improving postage costs as we speak.

Maybe I'll catch you at one of the YAH meets one time,...

You're out Yarram way, aren't you? (Was in the thread you linked). I have a mate out at Stradbroke... I know what you mean about rats (but the mozzies are worse out there!). Buggers of things. You'd probably need to get some steel bins, but yeah - not so worth it for half sized batches. I've been thinking about going to smaller volumes for the same reason, but I already have 19L kegs ... my plan is to just store a variety of beers in different kegs at cellar temps and just use counter pressure to fill a few bottles to chuck in the fridge when I want them. That way I won't run out for ages and can also choose from 4+ styles at any given time.

Even if I used a mill, I'd probably still need to get speciality grains shipped too, although I could just buy up in 5kg lots of the more popular ones. If I had a mill, I'd happily split shipping costs with you and mill you up what you need when you need it, but alas, that's $200-300 I can't justify at the volume I make beer at.

I think G&G has the most competative shipping (due to being in our state), but I like using Weyerman and they stock Bestmalz - I'm yet to compare side by side.

I haven't bought from BA as of yet. CB just seems to have the few items that other stores don't just when I need them... they're looking into improving postage costs as we speak.

Maybe I'll catch you at one of the YAH meets one time,...

Yeah im near yarram, oh yeah i know stradroke i lived at woodside for a bit over a year before moving here, i agree the mozzies out that way would hunt me down in massive swarms.

Yeah should try to get along to the YAH one day...

Back