Vic July 2012 Caseswap!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
750ml glass bottles??????

Previous swaps, I have just used the plastic bottles.

However, I have been planning/trying to bottle 30 glass bottles out of each batch so I can give the best, and also have them for longer storage...

Problem is, I've already made 30 bottles, but the brew shop only had 640ml.

I have since gone to another brew shop looking for 750ml, but again could only get 640ml (Well, I lie... I could get 750ml, but they were swing top and roughly $30 for 12. $90 for 36, which is just plain ridiculous...) I want at least 30 bottles, so I can try some, and maybe have a couple left over of whatever I swap.

So:
1. Where are people getting 750ml bottles from at a reasonable price?
2. Am I going to get tarred and feathered if I swap 640ml bottles?

it's been my experience that you end up with a mixture of all sorts of bottles..

I rekon you will be right with those.

Yob

beerdingo...sometimes people dispose of their bottles when they go into keg's or are going out of the hobby.keep an eye on this forum or ebay/gumtree

However, I have been planning/trying to bottle 30 glass bottles out of each batch so I can give the best, and also have them for longer storage...

I have since gone to another brew shop looking for 750ml, but again could only get 640ml (Well, I lie... I could get 750ml, but they were swing top and roughly $30 for 12. $90 for 36, which is just plain ridiculous...) I want at least 30 bottles, so I can try some, and maybe have a couple left over of whatever I swap.

So:

Hi mate, i know of a number of people using the 640ml PET bottles, i will be using them also.
Cheers

So:

I will be using 640ml PET bottles too mate, along with a few others i know of.
CHeers

BigW have 740ml PET bottles (Coopers branded) available.

These are what I'll be using.

Hey WB,

That is what I previously used, but am bottling about 3 batches, and will give the best one, so don't want the other two batches and spare bottles sitting around in plastic.

It seems that there are a few people using 640ml bottles, so I wont be the only one. I would like to give 750ml so people don't feel ripped off, but I'm not spending $90 on swing top bottles! It would be better to buy 3 boxes of coopers bottles and get drinking/cleaning.

Cheers
Dom

That is what I previously used, but am bottling about 3 batches, and will give the best one, so don't want the other two batches and spare bottles sitting around in plastic.
You crazy masochist, Dom :) Since getting kegs, I don't think I've bottled a sum total of more than 30 bottles in the last 12 months.

Bottled up my swap beer yesterday - looking and tasting pretty good.

I've bottled in 750ml Brew cellar PET bottles due to a shortage of longnecks. As I can see from replies above, I'm not going to be alone in that.

Looking forward to it!

MM

You crazy masochist, Dom :) Since getting kegs, I don't think I've bottled a sum total of more than 30 bottles in the last 12 months.

Yeah, I hate bottling. But must say, doing them in glass bottles feels (to me) a lot more professional (my first time). And then I don't have to worry about oxygen leaching over long periods. And I am not bottling the whole brew! Just 30 bottles of each. Stuff bottling 3 brews at 70 liters!!! Also, as the kegs have already been drained, I get to enjoy the beer at a later date (only good thing about bottling).

i hate to be that guy but i'm going to have to bow out.

my original swap beer tasted like nail polish so i turfed it. i went to bottle the second batch yesterday and found the tap had been knocked in the CC fridge. lost at least 10 liters of bitter :(

i don't have enough time to make another beer for the swap and keep up my own supply unfortunatly

plan goes that i'll make a very early swap beer for december and make sure nothing goes wrong this time...

na, i wasn't going to stay long anyway and now i'll just feel bad for not bringing my swap beer.

looking forward to hearing tales of antics though

List and wiki updated - Fikuss off the reserves and onto the pitch. (sucks DFT was looking fwd to a catchup after all these years!)

AHB Name - Beer - Attendance.
1. Fenton
2. Trippers
3. Luke C
4. Hairofthedog
5. Shane R
6. Fikuss
7. Iamozziyob - Stepmashed pale
8. WarmBeer - iPA - Yes, attending
9. Wolfman- robust Choc porter
10.Wolfy - ABA
11. Midnight Brew
12. Charst
13. bullsneck - English/American/New Zealand/Scottish IPA
14. Adamski29
15. seemax
16. Siborg
17.beerDingo
18. merlin032
19. mmmyummybeer
20. MaestroMatt
21. Julie
22. Brendo - Australian Pale Ale

Reserves

Was hoping I'd be able to get on the list.

Pretty excited. Now I just need to decide whether to bottle up the Robust Porter, the American Pale Ale or the IRA.

Hay man, check the articles section, plenty it relevant info there.. Cant do a links on the phone.

Cheers

Thanks mate...added to the list, but feel free to give me the boot if there isn't enough to go round :)

I picked up a bad of Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner last weekend but it wont be enough for 7 cubes... according to the recipe we will need 42kg of WBP for the base malt... I also have the Weyermann Munich I Covered

Just want to put it out there that we may (do) need a bit more, I know Manticle has his name on some WBP but am unsure if it will cover all the needs.

Thank Feck we will have use of the motorised mill... er.. we DO have access to the motorised Mill Yeah? :blink:

Yob

I picked up a bad of Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner last weekend but it wont be enough for 7 cubes... according to the recipe we will need 42kg of WBP for the base malt... I also have the Weyermann Munich I Covered

Just want to put it out there that we may (do) need a bit more, I know Manticle has his name on some WBP but am unsure if it will cover all the needs.

Thank Feck we will have use of the motorised mill... er.. we DO have access to the motorised Mill Yeah? :blink:

Yob

Just a reminder my HERMS can only hold about 13kg comfortably for 55 litres at 5%, 75% efficiency..
Fents maybe 25kg ish?
Cheers
Trippers

Yob

I dont have one, either does tripper.

Anyone have a portable one?

Back