Vic Case Swap: Xmas In July Tasting Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(maybe bulk priming with pumpkin isn't the best idea)...

By the way, how's the brewing going? Got back up and running yet?

Thanks Si,

Yeah, I agree on the bulk prime. I think I'll still try it again one day, but tweak the process to clear it up. I think it definitely contributed to the gushing too.

I am back on the brew wagon mate. Got a nice Schwartz lagering away for the Wort Hogs lager comp.

It's good to be back.

24. Vitalstatistix - brown porter 4.6%ABV

Pours with a thin light foamy head that quickly vanishes.
Reddish brown with a bit of gold in there, hazy.

I get a slight biscuit aroma, sweet caramel malts, a touch a roast and i think i can detect some herbal notes from hops in there.

Malt and more malt upon tasting. A fair bit of depth and it gets more complex as it warms.
I get caramel biscuit then moves into a very crusty bread with subtle roast flavours.
Subtle supporting bitterness.

Body seemed a little thin at first, then as it warmed up came good. I know carbonation is suppose to be low for this style but this seems
to be very low and thats after having recently drunk nothing but cask ale for 4 weeks.
Still quite enjoyable and really hits its straps after being left to sit in the glass for half an hour.

cheers.

Had the best of intentions of providing feedback for each beer sampled.... but this didn't happen.

Just finished the last of the case swap and have to give kudos to manticle and lecterfan for two well-crafted beers that were a little different to the rest....

ShaneR also gets a notable mention, but it would have been sooooo much better without the pumkin pulp....

@Beer4U, will post the recipe shortly....

sap.

23. Iamozziyob Killer ale. Mate, well done on the vinyl label, it looks great. The beer looks just as impressive. This would have to be the nicest extract ale I've ever supped on. It's got the Amarillo thing happening which is good news after this long in the bottle. I think the mouthfeel is a bit light on and the taste finishes just dry.

22. Fourstar - JD Oak aged Dry Stout

Pours with a thin foamy brown head that does not last long.
Looks almost black / opaque.

Sweet woody(i guess that would be the oak), herbal and bourbon-ish aromas that have integrated well with some roast.

Tastes quite smooth, more of the woody, herbal and roast thing, hints of alcohol.
Well supported by moderate and smooth bitterness that finishes dry.

Med to full body, the flavours become more complex as this warms, i do not really have it in me to describe them further, other than to say that this is an interesting and quite different stout to any that i have previously consumed and is helping me come to grips with the extremes in weather that are going on around here.

cheers

This would have to be the nicest extract ale I've ever supped on. It's got the Amarillo thing happening which is good news after this long in the bottle. I think the mouthfeel is a bit light on and the taste finishes just dry.

thanks mate, its great to get good feedback like this about the progression through kits and extract into the dark side.. (assume you saw the recipe I put up {eventually})

I do like em dry(ish) though so I cant complain about that remark either.. but from memory..

orf to bottlea better one now... we hope :party:

:icon_cheers:

8. Husky - Vienna Lager

Pours with a large, dense and creamy head that lasts quite while.
Dark copper brown colour and reasonably clear.

Sweet and toasty bread aromas.

Moore toasted bread malts on the palate with a hint of burnt crust.
Smooth and gentle bitterness to finish.

Carbonation aids in a slightly dry finish, medium to full bodied.

I get faint hints of sweet fruits/caramel in the after-taste which i don't mind at all.

I think this is my kind of lager, rich and fulfilling. I have been cleaning out gutters and pipes ect all day in preparation for the rain i am now receiving.
:icon_cheers:

#2 Seemax Amber Ale
Nice peachy aroma. Soft citrus behind it. Decent level of carbonation that brings out more bitterness than might really be there? Rich copper colour with a very long lasting off white head. I can really pick up the hop taste in the finish but there's an interesting caramel note there too (crystal malts used I assume?). Overall very nicely balanced beer. I have to say I'm surprised by the soft peachy/citrusy aroma but it works!

9. Razz - Bender Brown Ale

Pours with a decent tan head that fades a little and hangs around.
Dark ruby brown, quite clear.

Aroma sweet rich caramel malt.

Taste: Lots of rich caramel nutty malt. Plenty of fruity English yeast character, with some floral earthy hop notes.
Just enough bitterness to keep this malt monster in check.

Sweet after-taste that is held off by moderate carbonation and a medium body.

Rich and delicious brown ale.

Got a few to go... better get em down before the xmas swap!

Entry: #24 - Vitalstatistix - brown porter
CS11J24.jpg

Aroma: ;)
Apperance: :mellow:
Flavour: :D
Overall Impression: :icon_cheers:

13. Bullsneck Pale Ale. Some hop aroma on opening and poured well with compact sediment. Still a fair bit of haze but looks pretty good, heads lasts quite well. The hop aroma has backed off a lot from others comments but you get that after this long in the bottle. The flavours are nicely balanced and a slight bitter aftertaste, the mouthfeel is now low to medium. I should have hopped into this one a month or two back but that's life! Are you going to make another for the xmas case Braden? I would like to try it when it's fresh.
Overall a nice drink.

13. Bullsneck Pale Ale. Some hop aroma on opening and poured well with compact sediment. Still a fair bit of haze but looks pretty good, heads lasts quite well. The hop aroma has backed off a lot from others comments but you get that after this long in the bottle. The flavours are nicely balanced and a slight bitter aftertaste, the mouthfeel is now low to medium. I should have hopped into this one a month or two back but that's life! Are you going to make another for the xmas case Braden? I would like to try it when it's fresh.
Overall a nice drink.
I've actually got something similar I'm putting into the xmas swap....

14. Kleiny - Helles Bock (not really to style)

Poured fairly rough to get a small white head that fades quickly.
Slightly burnt orange colour that is hazy but clears up as it warms,

Aroma is sweet, bready malt with some hints of alcohol.

Taste starts out sweet, then quickly assaulted by rich bready slightly crusty malts
with some alcohol that is quite apparent, followed by a robust bitterness that
helps it finish dry.

Med to full bodied and med to low carbonation, alcohol warmth in
the finish. Very rich malty and alcoholic beer for me, about half way
through and i think i am going to be weeping on the floor soon.
Still an enjoyable beer.

Thanks

Fourstar's JD Oak aged Dry Stout
Still pours nice, dissipating head, wood and cream aroma, also sweet, carries over into the flavour with a medium to sweet finish. After 11 months this is a very smooth ale. :icon_cheers:

Fourstar's JD Oak aged Dry Stout
Still pours nice, dissipating head, wood and cream aroma, also sweet, carries over into the flavour with a medium to sweet finish. After 11 months this is a very smooth ale. :icon_cheers:

Correction... after 8 months from hitting the oak. Good to know! B)

Had a few of the case swap beers over the Christmas holidays.

Fourstar - JD Oak Aged Stout

Loved it. Everything a Stout should be. I enjoyed what the oak brought to the beer, so much so that I am brewing a Porter this weekend to age in French Oak. Thanks for the inspiration.

Wakkatoo - Sweet Stout

Not as black as I imagined, but I enjoyed the dark ruby tinge. Enjoyed sipping this, then poured the last 150ml into the Brownie mix I was making. Complimented it well. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back