Vic Case Swap: Xmas In July Tasting Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#12: Wakatoo: Sweet stout
Very nice candy toffee aroma with hint of dark biscuits. Brownish in colour with a whitish head that hung around. Very sweet immediately on the palette and stayed through to the end.

Really felt this was more a brown porter but all the same very tasty. Good as a nighttime bevvy on its own. Pleasant surprise!

Entry: #14 - Hoser - Northern English Brown Ale
CS11J04.jpg

Aroma: :huh:
Apperance: ;)
Flavour: :)
Overall Impression: :mellow:

I should get stuck into the last stretch of these. Not many to go.

Entry: #11 - ShaneR - Pumpkin Beer
CS11J11.jpg

Aroma: -_-
Apperance: :)
Flavour: <_<
Overall Impression: ;)

im craving a homebrew! would love to get into some more swaps. had some brilliant uk cask ales and some very fecken ordinary ones, belgium cant come soon enough

Entry: #12.Wakkatoo - a not-to-style sweet stout
CS11J12.jpg

Aroma: ^_^
Apperance: :rolleyes:
Flavour: :icon_cheers:
Overall Impression: :party:

Entry: #21 - manticle: Belgian Grand Cru thingy
CS11J21.jpg

Aroma: :huh:
Apperance: :p
Flavour: -_-
Overall Impression: :unsure:

manticle: Belgian Grand Cru thingy

Pours with a thick creamy head that hangs around for a while, good retention.

Colour is golden with a red hue about it, quite attractive, very clear.

wafts of fruit and spice on the nose.

Initial taste of rich but soft bready/grainy malts, wonderful depth.
More of the subtle fruit and spice thing, a good balance between the hops and yeast esters.
Some alcohol, but its all very very well balanced with everything else.
Moderate carbonation

Overall a very enjoyable beer, one that i wish i had more of.
So smooth and everything is in balance, all aspects are so well integrated.

Having recently been in Belgium and getting into some of the "craft" beer there as well as the more known
trappists ect, this is up there for me, gives some of them a run for their money.

Thanks mate.

Glad you enjoyed it. Definitely should have improved with age from when it was first bottled but thought it may have been forgotten in the respective piles.

Glad it's stood up to the test, at least for you.

18. Don Mateo - Robust Porter

Dark brown opaque, pours with a large tan foamy head that settles after 5 mins, into a ring that hangs around.

Sweet burnt aromas with hints of fruitiness which i think might be a character of the yeast.

Smooth slightly creamy , rich toasted breads, with roasted flavour of coffee and dark chocolate.

Moderate bitterness that is smooth and coats the insides of my mouth.

Enjoyable (real) coffee like after-tastes, with hints of choc

nice drop on a bleak arvo in gippers - land

2. seemax - American Amber

Pours with a large, thick and creamy head that persists until the end.
The colour is...amber, a bit hazy.

Hops and caramel malts on the nose.

Taste: rich toasty and caramel malts with some pleasant hop flavours in there.
Well balanced by a moderately bitter finish.

Good level of carbonation, somewhere between moderate and full bodied mouth feel , its got a nice creaminess about it.

A very enjoyable ale, cheers.

4. Hoser - Northern English Brown Ale

Pours with a small head that quickly disappears.
Reasonably clear, dark amber

Nutty / Biscuit aromas with a slight hint of something herbal.

Strong biscuit to toasty malts, there is some sweetness there.
I find its balanced quite well with the bitterness.

Fairly clean finish, more carbonation would help it finish drier, BUT after just recently consuming many an english ale in england this is pretty much on par with a lot of the examples i tried in this catorgry off cask.
Medium to low body, slighty sweet after-taste.

cheers.

17. sappas - Choco-lot Stout

Pours with a large creamy head that settles quickly into one finger that hangs around for most of the glass.
Very dark brown, held to the light I can just see through, quite clear.

Aroma of lightly roasted coffee.

Quite smooth and clean initially. Gentle roast malt flavours, balanced well by smooth bittering.
Medium mouth feel , low to medium carbonation, pretty easy drinking for me as far as stouts go.
I get some chocolate flavours in the after taste with hints of vanilla

I would not mind having a few bottles of this around at winter time, again, pretty easy drinking on this cool evening.

Cheers.

PS: I think you should send me the recipe.....

Manticle - Grand Cru

Mmmm... Has a lovely sweetness with some soft spiced fruit notes in there as well. Unfortunately for me, I've never tried the original which inspired this brew. Just a really great beer. I'm sitting here arranging some music on my computer and just sipping on a glass of this. Manticle, I'd normally like to give more feedback than this mate. But all I can say is what I taste and that this is a faultless, ******* great beer!

I think it's about time I get more "in to" belgian beer as the last few I've had have really impressed.

Thanks for the great brew, manticle

Manticle - Grand Cru

Mmmm... Has a lovely sweetness with some soft spiced fruit notes in there as well. Unfortunately for me, I've never tried the original which inspired this brew. Just a really great beer. I'm sitting here arranging some music on my computer and just sipping on a glass of this. Manticle, I'd normally like to give more feedback than this mate. But all I can say is what I taste and that this is a faultless, ******* great beer!

I think it's about time I get more "in to" belgian beer as the last few I've had have really impressed.

Thanks for the great brew, manticle

Cheers very much Si.

I'll have to make some kind of version of this again soon.

5. mcook - EPA
appearance: deep copper, fairly bright, poured a moderate off-white head which fell quickly (could have been some detergent residue on the glass)
aroma: rich caramel/tofee, some nice toasty/crusty notes. low levels of fruity esters work nice with the malt character. no hops noticeable
mouthfeel: low-medium body, medium carbonation, sweet aftertaste
flavour: Very strong malt backbone. As with aroma, I'm getting caramel/toffee with some strong crusty/toasty malt flavours. A moderate amount of esters fits some nice fruity characters in there. Picking up some english hops (fuggles?) late and bitterness is quite low which may be causing it to finish a little sweet.
Overall: Nice malt character with supporting esters and english hops all play well together. The only thing that lets this down a little is how sweet this finishes. Maybe try and get a little more attenuation from your yeast (or try a different variety?) or maybe a little more bittering to balance it out.

Quite nice, though. Gladly drink a few of these. Thanks, mcook

11. ShaneR - Pumkin Beer

Aroma: Vanilla, sweet maltiness, spiced fruits with some slightly toasted notes.
Appearance: amber, large off-white head which fell quickly (slight gusher upon opening). It's been said, but cloudy as hell with lots of floaties.
Flavour: Sweet. A subtle bitterness hits the back of the tongue to keep it from being too sweet. Getting plenty of spiced fruits and a nice amount of malt sweetness
Mouthfeel: light bodied, moderate carbonation, slight astringency in the after-taste.
Overall: Surprised by this beer. I'd have never thought pumpkin beer would taste this good. Only things I could pick on in this beer is the appearance (maybe bulk priming with pumpkin isn't the best idea) and the slight astringency. Thanks, Shane.

By the way, how's the brewing going? Got back up and running yet?

Back