Vic Case Swap: Xmas In July Tasting Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15: Golani51: 60min IPA

View attachment 47543

Good aroma - i get stonefruit / resinous citrus/ pine

Pours with a small white head that departs quickly, still retains a thin layer throughout the glass and lacing here and there.
Hazy burnt orange colour that clears more as it warms.

Chewy caramel and grainy malt initially, quickly taken over by bitterness that peaks then coats the inside of my mouth and
lingers for quite a while, leaving a slight warming sensation at the back of my throat.

Quite full bodied for me, for this type of beer, coupled with low carbonation means its more of a long term sipper.

Aftertaste is pleasant once the bitterness subsides. sweet caramel malts and i get the fruity /pine hop flavour especially if i make myself burp.
A good sipper for a cool afternoon.
Thanks. I must say though that it is one sexy looking glass.

Thanks. I must say though that it is one sexy looking glass.

haha yeah kinda :blink:

Its a Boags premium glass...my old man won several of them at golf, never used, so when i started brewing i claimed them, have never bothered to get anyting else except my Dimmies $2 jar which i use frequently for a half measure for easy drinking :icon_drunk: but its not very photogenic

Edit: im actually half way through my second glass, being only 330ml, im enjoying it much more than the second run..

12 - Wakkatoo - Sweet Stout

1.JPG

Have to preface this by saying hough, as a dark beer, its not my style 'generally'..

Pours With a Nice head that reduces but enough retmain to lightly lace the glass,

low to medium carbed, sweet aroma.. reminds me of something I cant quite put my finger on... I find myself staring loosly into the distance... but I'm prone to do that often.. lol

on taste very ballenced with everything fighting for a go but the chocolate wins in the end..

Mild bitterness and good body, overall very pleasant and enjoyable.. could see myself drinking a few of these, surprisingly to me

:kooi: :kooi: :kooi: :beerbang:

3 and a half Head Banging Bogans out of a Mosh Pit (5)

Yob

#17: Sappas: chocolate somethingy stout

Pours deep stout coloured black with dark bits around the murky ink.

Aroma of stout.
Some tan/off white head which is happy to keep company with me most of the way
Moderate carb, moderate full mouthfeel.
Flavour of chocolate and biscuit, supporting bitterness, some roastiness, no harshness.

In short - super tasty stout with no major roasty ash but not rich and sweet.

Chocolate present but not dominating.

Enjoyed while I try and warm my house up anywhere above 0 .03 degrees.

Not a Vic, not involved in the swap, but I'm really loving this thread - just to see what people are doing/brewing.

Clearly you Vics are feeling the cold weather (sorry, days are 21-25 deg here) and loving your dark beers. I have to (tug my arm) drink malty pale and amber coloured beers, due to weather.

Makes me want to brew more darkies.

Love ya work guys.

Goomba

12: Wakkatoo - not to style sweet stout

12.jpg

Pours with a nice foamy head that dies down after a few minutes. Retains a ring of head leaving some lacing.
Held to the light looks quite clear, maybe even bright mahogany??

Sweet slightly roasty aroma

Initial tasting is clean grainy and toasty/choc malt, which seems to slip into sweet faint roasty flavours
finishing with clean low level bitterness and some hop flavours in there somewhere i think.

Mouthfeel is somewhere around medium for me, seems right for the beer. Starts to finish dry on my palatte the more i drink
but still leaving warm, sweet toasty flavours.

Interesting beer, enjoyable and quite drinkable in this foul weather.

8 - Husky's vienna lager...

This has some really interesting flavours going on. I spilled about 200mls from the bottle over my desktop towards the modem and powerboard, but the telstra bill mopped it up nicely.

The aroma is really malty, the head is good and the lacing is magnificent. Taste wise there is something in it that I don't expect, but it is a hop flavour of some sort...

As it warms up the maltiness comes forward and the hoppiness takes a back seat to the graininess...

Not sure I could drink a heap of this in one setting but it is a very nice beer.

Cheers,
R.

Hey all,
Just got back from Canada and have yet to get stuck into the swap. Had a quick peek now at the comments and want to say thanks to all for the postive and constructive feedback on the Northern Brown. Seems a very consistent vibe that it hit the right points on nuttiness aroma and flavour with decent toffee notes. Agree with Manticle that it could be dialed up more with AG english malts (this was a partial). More importantly the carbonation was well and truly too low. I had struggled with underpriming at the start as this was my first attempt at priming with dextrose instead of drops and miscalculated. It came out very flat so I reopened them and added more sugar but still clearly nowhere near enough. Oh well. Other than that sounds like it went ok. Thanks again for the feedback.

I'll be sure to get on with feedback of my own in the coming days as I get into the swap beers. Looking forward to it!

Better under than over for UK style (or any style to my palate but UK especially)

Ok enjoyed my first 3 brews today...

#20 Wolfy 10 Min IPA
Appearance - nice solid amber and very clear; good strong head and lacing
Aroma - can't put my finger on it but maybe I just have never had the experience of homegrown hops... maybe a bit earthy instead of piney? It was different anyway. Might be a bit of age/oxidation that came out in the aroma too. I kept it cool for the past month so not sure
Flavour - malty with a lot of hop flavour. Not too bitter. Carbonation was bang on.
Overall - not the bitterness I was expecting and definitely not the aroma either but overall quite drinkable. Suggest a bit more bittering to round out the flavour?

#10 - Proudscum Steam Beer
Appearance - Amber, clear, filtered (I'm pretty sure?); solid creamy head that lingered
Aroma - very woody and true to style; bit of soft fruit and caramel notes too
Flavour - very woody and malty combined together. Personally I think it's quite close to the Anchor Steam representation of style.
Overall - I'm really wishing there was another one around.... I think I prefer it to Anchor Steam. Great job!!

#9 Razz Brown Ale
Appearance - deep dark brown, almost reminiscent of root beer; tan head that remains throughout
Aroma - caramel, liquorice, Christmas cake, yum... not much in the way of hop notes but it doesn't need it... caught a little bit of dark nuts too
Flavour - almost closer to porter but nothing burnt or coffee so maybe not... great full mouthfeel but maybe a bit overcarbonated. Get a bit of chocolate and nuts on the palette too.
Overall - Very good representation of style and really great mouthfeel / malty notes. Wish I could have another!!

Entry: #05 - mcook - English Pale Ale
CS11J05.jpg

Aroma: :unsure:
Apperance: :blink:
Flavour: :chug:
Overall Impression: ;)

#7 Beer4U - Cali Common
Appearance - Nice soft amber colour, filtered, carbonation evident and nice foamy head and lacing
Aroma - very woody with hints of caramel
Flavour - light bodied and very strong woody Northern Brewer hops flavour. Balanced by a toffee / toasty malt. Dry finish with a woody aftertase.

Overall - very drinkable. Again found myself wishing for a second Steam beer! My only improvement would be to perhaps strengthen the body, especially in the middle. Maybe just a bit too light bodied. Overall very good beer!

Ok enjoyed my first 3 brews today...

#10 - Proudscum Steam Beer
Appearance - Amber, clear, filtered (I'm pretty sure?); solid creamy head that lingered

no filter just polyclar and racked 3 times

Overall - I'm really wishing there was another one around.... I think I prefer it to Anchor Steam. Great job!!

i have one left from the swap

cheers scum

#7 Beer4U - Cali Common
Appearance - Nice soft amber colour, filtered, carbonation evident and nice foamy head and lacing
Aroma - very woody with hints of caramel
Flavour - light bodied and very strong woody Northern Brewer hops flavour. Balanced by a toffee / toasty malt. Dry finish with a woody aftertase.

Overall - very drinkable. Again found myself wishing for a second Steam beer! My only improvement would be to perhaps strengthen the body, especially in the middle. Maybe just a bit too light bodied. Overall very good beer!

Thanks for the review

No filter, just polyclar and 10 days of cold conditioning and a good amount of time in the bottle at ambient storage temps, which at that time of year = always less than 10 degrees.

I agree about the body, it was a comparable difference i noted in my review of proudscums, he got the crispness still with a good amount of body, braumeister verses biab. I only did a single infusion at 66c for about 75mins, then prob stuffed around too long getting to mashout.

The 2 beers i have brewed since the swap, i have mashed in at 55 for 10, infused to 62 for 20, infused to 68 -69 for 30 and it has given me that extra bit of body, but still with a good level of crispness in the profile, better head and retention, i also had a major jump in efficiency.
From now on this will be my mashing regime for most beers, experimenting with the times at different steps.

cheers

Entry: #10 - Proudscum - Steam Beer
CS11J10.jpg

Aroma: ;)
Apperance: <_<
Flavour: B)
Overall Impression: :beer:

Manticle's Grand Cru. F :beerbang: cking lovely. Looks great, tastes great.
No more to be said. One of those "right place, right time" moments for me and this beer.

9 - Razz's Brown Ale

Never been a fan of the style, usually find it lacking in something, too much malt and not enough bitterness to balance it.

This one, though, is a corker!

Still predominantly malty, but nice moderate bitterness underlying it that lasts and lasts, and I'm currently burping up lovely, woody, hop bursts.

Great beer.

A.

Thanks for the review

No filter, just polyclar and 10 days of cold conditioning and a good amount of time in the bottle at ambient storage temps, which at that time of year = always less than 10 degrees.

I agree about the body, it was a comparable difference i noted in my review of proudscums, he got the crispness still with a good amount of body, braumeister verses biab. I only did a single infusion at 66c for about 75mins, then prob stuffed around too long getting to mashout.

The 2 beers i have brewed since the swap, i have mashed in at 55 for 10, infused to 62 for 20, infused to 68 -69 for 30 and it has given me that extra bit of body, but still with a good level of crispness in the profile, better head and retention, i also had a major jump in efficiency.
From now on this will be my mashing regime for most beers, experimenting with the times at different steps.

cheers

It was really clear and well conditioned. So did you say you do BIAB? Do you find step mash difficult with BIAB? I do BIAB as well and have yet to try anything but single infusion. Interesting learnings re: body with a step mash. Perhaps at the higher point it's leaving enough residuals to fill out the taste. Might try the same....

#18 Don Mateo - Robust Porter
Really dark with a nice tan head that hangs around. Good lacing.
Aroma - dark fruits, darker malts and a bit of molasses
Taste - darker, more burnt than I expected. Medium bodied with a good dry finish

Overall very drinkable beer. Perhaps it could be a bit more nutty/fruity instead of roasted? Or maybe that's just my preference. Also mine was just a bit too carbonated for my liking. I'd easily have another though!

#19 Nick Penno - American Pale Ale
Appearance - bottle conditioned, bit of chill haze, very nice burnt blond colour
Aroma - big evergreen, passionfruit aromas, bit of vanilla
Taste - quite bitter, little less body than the aroma leads you to believe. More bitter than malty. Bit of caramel tones

Overall - LOVE the aroma. Maybe a bit less early hopping to balance it? Also maybe just a bit more body too. The pils/munich malt seems right for a pale ale.

Yet another one that I'd love to have another. Loving these case swaps!

Back