Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attendees (Swappers)
1. Idzy
2. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale (should be ready)
3. DJ_L3THAL
4. Husky
5. droid - Sour Cherry Stout (ready)
6. Midnight brew
7. Curly79
8. MartinOC
9. mofox1 - Heady Topperish (drink now!)
10. Shortybronx
11. Whiteferret
12. Laxation - Stout, American style. Not quite ready
13. TheWiggman
14. GrumpyPaul – American Rye
15. Tahoose
24:

Attendees (Swappers - Reserves)
1. QLD Crew - Discuss

Attendees (Non-Swappers)
1. Technobabble
2. Malt Junkie
3. JB - Fri & Sat
4. Micbrew
5. Nullnvoid xxx

Cubists
1. Idzy
2. Technobabble
3. Malt Junkie
4. DJ_L3THAL
5. Husky
6. AJ80
7. Midnight brew
8. Shortybronx
9. Curly79
10. JB
11. MartinOC
12. Micbrew
13. mofox1
14. Whiteferret
15. Laxation
16. TheWiggman
17. GrumpyPaul
18. GrumpyPaul (if Im allowed 2)

Will probably be bringing my son along who is about to get into brewing his own. if i can grab a second cube it will be for him to ferment for himself.

Note we are also doing a dogs breakfast brew friday night, so extra cubes for those attending friday and if friday attendees have spare base malt bring it a long I think we're going to need it!

Let's say $10/cube ('doesn't matter what size) contribution to the weekend to cover any shortfalls in food (as usually happens), gas/water/electricity etc..etc..

Bring your gash/old base malts on the Friday night & let's chuck it at the system for a wild ride...:)

Attendees (Swappers)
1. Idzy
2. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale (should be ready)
3. DJ_L3THAL
4. Husky
6. Midnight brew
8. MartinOC
10. Shortybronx
11. Whiteferret
13. TheWiggman
15. Tahoose
24:

1. QLD Crew - Discuss

Attendees (Non-Swappers)
1. Technobabble
2. Malt Junkie
3. JB - Fri & Sat
4. Micbrew
5. Nullnvoid xxx

Cubists
1. Idzy
2. Technobabble
3. Malt Junkie
4. DJ_L3THAL
5. Husky
6. AJ80
7. Midnight brew
8. Shortybronx
10. JB
11. MartinOC
12. Micbrew
13. mofox1
14. Whiteferret
15. Laxation
16. TheWiggman
17. GrumpyPaul

Will probably be bringing my son along who is about to get into brewing his own. if i can grab a second cube it will be for him to ferment for himself.

Removed myself from the lists. Like I said in the food thread, not gunna make it to this one. Enjoy boys and girls. Look forward to seeing some pics of the shenanigans. Enjoy.

Any of the non swappers have anything in bottles or cubes to ferment in time to top up the swap?

Good and bad news:

Good - BFK now has burners. Can bring Friday day to give a test run before the Saturday brew if people are doing a pre brew? I'm not far from FTG so can drop off but I have father in laws bday the Friday night so won't be there until late if at all. Might be there Sat only.

Bad - 99% sure I won't have time for a swap beer. BIL has a 30th in 3 weeks and he want's me to brew him some kegs which I'm super stoked about so not likely to get time for a swap beer as well. Put me on attending non swapper, if somehow I get a chance I will bring a swap brew on the day.

20170626_180704 - C.jpg

Slight edit to the list...already bottled and labeled with a '4'...

Attendees (Swappers)
1. Idzy
2. Husky
3. DJ_L3THAL
4. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale (should be ready)
6. Midnight brew
8. MartinOC
10. Shortybronx
11. Whiteferret
13. TheWiggman
15. Tahoose
24:

1. QLD Crew - Discuss

Attendees (Non-Swappers)
1. Technobabble
2. Malt Junkie
3. JB - Fri & Sat
4. Micbrew
5. Nullnvoid xxx

Cubists
1. Idzy
2. Technobabble
3. Malt Junkie
4. DJ_L3THAL
5. Husky
6. AJ80
7. Midnight brew
8. Shortybronx
10. JB
11. MartinOC
12. Micbrew
13. mofox1
14. Whiteferret
15. Laxation
16. TheWiggman
17. GrumpyPaul

Attendees (Swappers)
1. Idzy
2. Husky
3. DJ_L3THAL
4. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale (should be ready)
6. Midnight brew - Son of Zeus IPA blended with Harvest IPA
8. MartinOC
10. Shortybronx
11. Whiteferret
13. TheWiggman
15. Tahoose
24:

1. QLD Crew - Discuss

Attendees (Non-Swappers)
1. Technobabble
2. Malt Junkie
3. JB - Fri & Sat
4. Micbrew
5. Nullnvoid xxx

Cubists
1. Idzy
2. Technobabble
3. Malt Junkie
4. DJ_L3THAL
5. Husky
6. AJ80
7. Midnight brew
8. Shortybronx
10. JB
11. MartinOC
12. Micbrew
13. mofox1
14. Whiteferret
15. Laxation
16. TheWiggman
17. GrumpyPaul

Hi Gents,

A few points to note:

I've got personal stuff going-on Wednesday night through all of Thursday, so I won't be around to receive the incoming Perc./Met shipment. I've arranged for Mort (my off-sider) to be around on Thursday to cover my absence, so shouldn't be a problem if that's the delivery date. Micbrew, we need to coordinate here. Earlier would be better (ie. when I'm around).

We'll need to transport all the grains & Perc./Met. to Idzy's place on the Friday (on pallets) & store it sheltered. I've got a trailer, but I'm also bringing-down a swag of firewood & brazier etc. in it, so we need to get our collective arses in gear & work-out how we're going to do it all.

I'm taking leave Thurs. I'll be able to do stuff on Friday from the warehouse to Idzy's place. We'll need folks with tow-bars/trailers to do the shuttle-run (about 20 mins each way) with loads.

I'll now hang my head in shame & admit that I just bought a Robobrew for brewing at work (I just don't have time for brewing otherwise) & will endeavour to get something down for the swap, but I'm making no promises. If I get something together, it'll be nothing more than a JASPA (Just A Simple Pale Ale).

Hi Gents,

A few points to note:

I've got personal stuff going-on Wednesday night through all of Thursday, so I won't be around to receive the incoming Perc./Met shipment. I've arranged for Mort (my off-sider) to be around on Thursday to cover my absence, so shouldn't be a problem if that's the delivery date. Micbrew, we need to coordinate here. Earlier would be better (ie. when I'm around).

We'll need to transport all the grains & Perc./Met. to Idzy's place on the Friday (on pallets) & store it sheltered. I've got a trailer, but I'm also bringing-down a swag of firewood & brazier etc. in it, so we need to get our collective arses in gear & work-out how we're going to do it all.

I'm taking leave Thurs. I'll be able to do stuff on Friday from the warehouse to Idzy's place. We'll need folks with tow-bars/trailers to do the shuttle-run (about 20 mins each way) with loads.

I'll now hang my head in shame & admit that I just bought a Robobrew for brewing at work (I just don't have time for brewing otherwise) & will endeavour to get something down for the swap, but I'm making no promises. If I get something together, it'll be nothing more than a JASPA (Just A Simple Pale Ale).
I'm happy to hitch my trailer and head down to you earlier Martin if you need the haulage. And what time yer want me there to mill and get this friday brew off to a running start.

I'm bringing a bucket of wheat, how much of that is needed for the Saturday brew cause the rest can go in friday. Also have around 8kg of ale for friday. Should I check the hop freezer for dribs and drabs? Sure I've got a bit of Amarillo that needs using could be wrong need to stock take.

MJ, as long as you've got a tow-ball, you can take/use my trailer when you get here & save dragging one all the way from Gippsland.

The timing of the Friday "Dogs' Brekkie" brew will depend on when the equipment arrives from other folks, so I can't offer anything there. If the equipment doesn't turn-up, it's going to be a total fizzer.

Bring whatever you've got malt & hops-wise & we'll just do things on the fly. I reckon I've got about 50Kg of Pearl that needs to be used-up to stretch-out those specialties. It's a dogs' brekkie, so whatever.

My only dilemma is fermenting this one out & submitting it to Vicbrew, winning a place & being invited to re-brew it for AABC...:))

BTW, is someone intending to bring a mill to this debauchery? I think we'll need a couple..

Got some random recipe from the home brew shop guy so I dont really no what it is and do not think its ready as its only been bottled two weeks and tastes real fruity. Haha sorry its a bit of a mixed bag with me as im more of a spirits go who likes beer too haha. Tastes ok and is pretty high alcohol

Yep, my bad too. Got caught up doing other things and didn't reply (i think?). Looks good as is.
One minor concern might be that the whirlpool could be up to an hour in settling, so that 30min estimate for the bittering calculation may be out a little (i.e.: 10mins +60mins WP +20mins cube) . However, after a quick calculation, it should only be a small amount given it's 7.5 IBUs at 30mins, and ~10.3 IBUs calculated as FWH (if that makes sense?). I think that means it'll only go from ~45 IBUs to 48 IBUs. Don't think any of us would notice that difference! Soooo ... basically it's all good &nothing to see here. :D
I reckon you can pull the trigger on it, and get that lazy CB geezer to start getting the ingredients together ;)
Trigger has been pulled... working out costs p/cube in the next few days. How much gas do we normally go though for the main brew? $20.. $40...?

I'm happy to hitch my trailer and head down to you earlier Martin if you need the haulage. And what time yer want me there to mill and get this friday brew off to a running start.

I'm bringing a bucket of wheat, how much of that is needed for the Saturday brew cause the rest can go in friday. Also have around 8kg of ale for friday. Should I check the hop freezer for dribs and drabs? Sure I've got a bit of Amarillo that needs using could be wrong need to stock take.
7.2kg of your Dark Wheat for the Saturday brew...

Updated recipe with me getting anal about percentages. Not just because I like whole numbers (I do), but it's what the original recipe had.

Hop updates due to AA% change in the Columbus we are getting, and I dropped the 10min EKG down a tad (again) due to the long whirlpool/stand... and also because 450g is the size of the pack I got from brewman :D.

Cube hops... I bought enough for the whole batch. Should I include them in the price per cube, or keep it separate if ppl want to do their own thang? Does anyone want to forgo the recipe cube hops (you'll end up with 30 IBU's) or supply their own? It's only going to be around $4 or $5 worth in the cube anyway.

2017 AHB Stout
American Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 500.0
Total Grain (kg): 180.000
Total Hops (g): 1975.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.077 (°P): 18.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.07 %
Colour (SRM): 47.9 (EBC): 94.4
Bitterness (IBU): 44.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 120

Grain Bill
----------------
126.0 kg Bairds Maris Otter Malt (70%)
18.0 kg Joe White Amber Malt (10%)
7.2 kg Bairds Brown Malt (4%)
7.2 kg Bairds Pale Chocolate (4%)
7.2 kg Dark Wheat Malt (4%)
5.4 kg Bairds Light Crystal 100 EBC (3%)
3.6 kg Bairds Roasted Barley (2%)
3.6 kg Weyermann Chocolate wheat (2%)
1.8 kg Weyermann Caraaroma (1%)

Hop Bill
----------------
FWH (23.2 IBU):
225 g Columbus Pellet (14.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
300 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.1% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)

10min (calc'd @ 30min - 6.8 IBU)
450 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

Cubes (calc'd @ 15min - 14.1 IBU):
500 g Chinook Pellet (11.8% Alpha) (1 g/L)
500 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.1% Alpha) (1 g/L)

Notes
----------------
Mash as best as we can get around 65°C
Ferment with something well attenuating to get to 1.015 - 1.020

BIG PHAT EDIT: Above recipe does not include the dry hop... Which I had totally forgotten. I did 30g EKG in a 23L batch.

Does it need it? Probably not, my other variations on this recipe didn't have it. But you could use a fairly large range of hops instead... Other Golding's, Fuggle, Apollo, Chinook, Northern Brewer, Challenger, Columbus, possibly Perle. Anything with earthy, pine/dank, and/or spicey notes while staying away from your "fruit punch" hops (Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe et al). But it's your beer, dry hop or not and with whatever you want.

Last edited:
I'm happy with cube hops, for those who choose otherwise they can always just bag up their cube hops and take home if it's simpler for you to work out it as once price for all mate? Just a thought.

Back