VIC 2013 July Case Swap - tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charst said:
Thanks very much for the feedback,

Amazing how a bit of time in the bottle can change a beer. When i bottled it the beer was way over with a rye Pumpernickel bread flavour that just dominated everything, and spoonful of cane sugar sweetness @1007.

I think next time i brew it i'll drop the home made Candi sugar edition and maybe just add the sugar to the boil, the mash was certainly dry: 10@55 40@62 20@68 10@72 + mash out. but with the FG being 3 points higher than my previous saisons I assumed the candy hadn't fermented out. The rye may be the reason its thicker though too (never used rye before). One change at a time though.

I think it was a culmination of issues and knowing it was my swap beer made me shitted off.

Dupont Stalled at 1020, 3711 couldn't pull it down to what i expected so i was nervy about bottling, tasted shit at bottling.

not sure what you mean by ingredient issue but the recipe was:

76% Wey Bo Pils
17% Wey Rye
7% home made candi sugar.

IBU 26
Ger Hallertau @60, @15 and @5
Willamette @ 15
EKG @ 5.
no chill

Hallertau was not very fresh.

Will brew it again though, i have one bottle left that i'll consider chucking in comp, or drink it myself...

Cheers
Not sure if this is relevant, but it might be the rye. I love using Rye, but it can be too much in a lot of beers.

I used (and still do) it in IPA - 300g in a 5.8kg grain bill - good. 500g in a 6kg grain bill baaap boooww - too much and it ended up a little soapy.

Not trying to cut in on the dance, but just noticed it and thought I'd suggest something.

Jeeeeez, after reading a couple of those reviews I'm a bit nervous about writing mine. Might have to take Kade's suggestion & d/load some tasting sheets

I'll be trying bottles 1 & 2 tonight, and maybe 3 :beerbang:

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Not sure if this is relevant, but it might be the rye. I love using Rye, but it can be too much in a lot of beers.

I used (and still do) it in IPA - 300g in a 5.8kg grain bill - good. 500g in a 6kg grain bill baaap boooww - too much and it ended up a little soapy.

Not trying to cut in on the dance, but just noticed it and thought I'd suggest something.
17% rye equates to 1.2kg in my 20 batch so may be the case, cheers

this might be a stupid question, but what category does Saison come under?

I forgot to put the bottles in the fridge last night & I'm home from work early & wanted to enjoy a few

While their getting cold I went to the garage & grabbed one of the beers in the esky that was left behind! It has a label on the top with #017 SNAPA#5 05-13 typed on it. Who brewed this one? I'm assuming it's a Sierra Nevada PA clone? Taste bloody fantastic! I need this recipe

2. Charst – Saison - Ready to Drink

A bouquet of sun
Flavours subtle yet complex
Fill my glass again!

Smells fantastic. Earthy floral spicy action, notes of orange blossom, apricot, …..
Very clean. Great balance. Finishes quite dry but there is a slight mouth coating (probably from the rye?) but not much. Slight pepperiness on the finish which helps me put the glass to my lips once more.
A most enjoyable saison. Great beer mate, well done indeed.

1. Manticle - Brown Porter

Look .. Im no brew connoisseur.. but ill try and give you what I think ... This is a beer I could drink all night .. but then again I love darker heavier beers .. right up it has nice body in the mouth with a silky texture.. Nice chocolatey flavours.. although my wife disagrees and thinks its YUK Beer!!.. Nice clear colour.. I just wonder if the carbonation is a little more than it needs to be as it leaves some tingling on the tongue.. but I love how the taste lingers in your mouth.. Has nice fine bubbles which adds to the nice texture. Head retention is OK .. but I wouldn't say great.. Must admit I agree tere seems to be some type of soapy feel but I think in adds to the smoothness :)

All in all I loved it and would drink it any day.. now I am wondering if I have just babbled a whole lot of bull %^&*.... by the way towards the end of the bottle.. my wife offered some tim tams and it went down great with them !!

Charst - currently drinking your Saison.

Golden, dry and spicy and full of farmyard freshness.
Yeast is there but does not dominate. A hint of sweetness there to match the dry finish.

This is a much better beer than what you were describing the other day Charst.
Don't sell yourself short. Time for another glass.

Our beer.... #3 - Dunkelweissen

Drinks okay. Not carbed enough.

Pretty disappointed about the carbonation on this one.
Flavour and colour is not far off what we were aiming for but just no head retention and not enough carbonation which is a bummer.

Used Weihenstephan yeast but didn't quite get as much yeast flavour as previously with 3068.
About the same pitching rate and our fermentation temp was kept pretty close to 17º C.

I think that could be because we crash chilled it? Should we be crash chilling on a wheat beer or should we leave it a tad more hazy and keep that yeast flavour a bit more? Or is it the lack of carbonation that is pushing the yeast characteristic down a bit? Hard to tell.

Hey Breakbeer, i had a six last night. my missus actually liked it, thats a MASSIVE big deal. obviously she''s into hoppy beers and i had no idea because i never make or buy them.

any chance i would be able to get a copy of the recipie so i can make her some more?

breakbeer said:
I forgot to put the bottles in the fridge last night & I'm home from work early & wanted to enjoy a few

While their getting cold I went to the garage & grabbed one of the beers in the esky that was left behind! It has a label on the top with #017 SNAPA#5 05-13 typed on it. Who brewed this one? I'm assuming it's a Sierra Nevada PA clone? Taste bloody fantastic! I need this recipe
Thanks BB (Glen) that would be one of mine. I'll send you the recipe when I get home. Hope you enjoy the others with similar style label if they survived the night.

I'll read the style guidelines but I won't be very articulate in my tasting notes. My English aint that good and my pallet is not that finely tuned although I can taste the difference between Vegemite & Promite.

To my disappointment I'm missing 20. micbrew - Stone & Wood Pacific Ale was going to try first as I'm trying a recipe for this at the moment. I've got 21. & 19. Chilling at the moment for Friday night.

DarkFaerytale said:
Hey Breakbeer, i had a six last night. my missus actually liked it, thats a MASSIVE big deal. obviously she''s into hoppy beers and i had no idea because i never make or buy them.

any chance i would be able to get a copy of the recipie so i can make her some more?

No problem. It's in the Kooinda Black IPA thread in General Recipe Discussion, but I'll PM you the scaled down version. What did you think of it?

Damn, I might have an extra # 20 I can give ya so you don't miss out. Youre not too far from me so PM me & arrange a time to pick it up if ya want

breakbeer said:
No problem. It's in the Kooinda Black IPA thread in General Recipe Discussion, but I'll PM you the scaled down version. What did you think of it?
Bugger that! Post it up here mate.

20. Micbrew - Stone and Wood Pacific ale

First things first could you post up a recipe please? I'm going through this too fast! First crack at giving feedback.

Pours well, getting a slight lacing down this glass (when I slow down).
Initial aroma is delicious stone fruit.
Mouth feel of this is fantastic would go down a treat in summer, nice and spritsy. Carbonation level is spot on. Blends in well with the sweet/clean malt profile. Initial aftertaste is bitterness followed by malt flavour followed by something that would be similar to a marmalade flavour. Its incredibly clear too. This would be very non-offensive to a few of my mates just getting into craft beer or someone new to craft beer.

Great job mate and recipe please!

4: meathead: DGSA

Pours black with a big tight tan head. Some retention and nice lacing.

Aroma mainly of sweet bread crusts, no hop aroma discernible.

Flavour of bread crusts, black coffee, milk chocolate, hint of green apple. Some liquorice notes too

Mouthfeel rich, carbonation low (suits the style).

very obviously not a DGSA - what have you given us meathead? Some kind of rich stout I am presuming. Very nice. The green apple should probably fade with time and the other flavours are in harmony. Low carb allows the richness to come through.

Meathead got confused (note to self label as you bottle)
Yes it is a stout
Kit and kilo at that
Only brewed 8 weeks ago
I use drops 1 per longneck I thought a touch undercarbed but I've been told better than over
Thanks for the feedback

Didn't want to ask "is this an extract beer" but the green apple character was very kk to my palate. With a bit of age, that will dissipate and let the other flavours shine and any kit twang is often well hidden in a stout anyway.

So now you have 20 odd bottles of DGSA stashed somewhere?

Latest posts

Back