VIC 2013 July Case Swap - tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight Brew said:
20. Micbrew - Stone and Wood Pacific ale

First things first could you post up a recipe please? I'm going through this too fast! First crack at giving feedback.
Great job mate and recipe please!
Yo
+1
I'm also keen to brew one soon

21. JB - Polite Czech Pils.

Appearance: Pale Gold and nice and bright. Pours a large bubbly head with large bubbles rising, Head settles to a lacing rim around the glass.
Aroma is clean and has a subtle note of cold apple sauce.
Nice and clean in the flavour but i find the bitterness a bit upfront and lingering.

Not sure how to achieve it but a bit of malt sweetness, and perhaps a bit more body (mash temp) would balance out the bitterness.
The old man had a glass and was very impressed, thought it tasted like a "normal beer".

I think the beer is lacking the european flavours I would expect in a Czech Pils, but is very clean and a much better lager than ive ever made.

cheers

15: Edak: AIPA:

Pours cloudy orange, big white head, tight bubbles good retention.

Aroma of tropical fruit - pineapple, mango, citrus, lychee.

Flavour of fruit but also a light hit of toffee to support. Very smooth bitterness.

Maybe a teeny touch of an onion/garlic thing that comes with some US hops like summit.

Some might like this to have more bitterness but there is plenty of hop flavour punch and I like the balance where it is. Carb is moderately low which again I prefer. Really well brewed and clean and harmonious flavours are in abundance.

Shane S: Galaxy Sparkling Ale:

Hazy Golden Blonde, Lingering lacy head around rim.

Nice light fruity aroma and a touch of sweetness, touch creamy yeasty.
Fine frothy mouthfeel, fizzes up in the mouth.
Nice balanced bitterness, touch over carbed on the tongue but very enjoyable.

2. Charst: Saison

First time I ever tried a saison.. but found it had citrus qualities to it, good head and smooth.. not my type of beer overall... but it was good for what it was.. and Id always have another glass !! Got my new brew magazine so it would be good to read the articles and give you a better judgement once I had drunk a few saisons !! At this stage.. cant say I can give a good critique due to lack of knowledge surrounding this style.

Grainer

manticle said:
15: Edak: AIPA:

Pours cloudy orange, big white head, tight bubbles good retention.

Aroma of tropical fruit - pineapple, mango, citrus, lychee.

Flavour of fruit but also a light hit of toffee to support. Very smooth bitterness.

Maybe a teeny touch of an onion/garlic thing that comes with some US hops like summit.

Some might like this to have more bitterness but there is plenty of hop flavour punch and I like the balance where it is. Carb is moderately low which again I prefer. Really well brewed and clean and harmonious flavours are in abundance.
Cheers Manticle, my first written critique on any beer I have brewed!

I was a bit disappointed that it hadn't cleared up (like almost every other beer I have brewed) so I will have to review my process (maybe I got some cold break into fermenter). I agree with your bitterness comment, though to style it is at the lower end where more people I know tend to like it. Unsure about the garlic thing but I used citra, cascade and mosaic for the tropical flavours, maybe you could explain which might cause that flavour?

I have one more bottle of this at home and will taste it following some more comments to see if I can pick the same flavours.

Oh, and I love reading your comments, keep them coming!

Haziness is more likely the rate of hopping than chill haze. I don't drink beer cold enough for chill haze to be an issue. There are other potential causrs of haze but I reckon it's just the hops.

Not familiar enough with citra and not familiar at all with mosaic to say but I get the onion/garlic thing in some beers from bridgeport for example. Way less noticeable in yours - was a hint and not out of character despite sounding odd.

1.manticle: Brown Porter

Really awesome tasting beer. Only slightly roasty with great choc/caramel biscuit flavours. Has given me an idea for a Porter I'd like to brew. I farken luuuurve Caramel :icon_drool2:

Was darker in colour than I was expecting. Makes my Black IPA look like a Michael Jackson IPA

This was really low carbed, which I'm assuming it was supposed to be as it really let the flavours dominate. That & the fact I drank it warmer than I usually would

Nice one! Stoked I've got another bottle of it!

(sorry, that's as descriptive as I can get)

2. Charst: Saison

Mate, you nailed it! Exactly what I would expect from a Saison. Spicy, citrusy & some kind of peppery/herby aftertaste that I like but can't quite put my finger on.

Beautiful golden colour, head still present near end of pint glass

Would I drink again? Pouring another glass right now

21. JB Polite czech pils

Great golden colour with a tight head.
Aroma is clean slightly noble.
Bitterness is upfront and first taste fits well with the noble aroma.
Mouthfeel is very zing, due to carbonation but thats how these beers are meant to be.
Constructive feedback might need a little more body. The old man would love this after mowing the lawn.

GrumpyPaul said:
Somebody drink mine...the suspense its killing me.
You twisted my arm....I think your beer was the mystery beer of the swap. I was soon to go to bed with a few under my belt. Had too many boozy nights. Yours was the last one in my fridge. Was saving for tomorrow. Ok one more pony. I haven't got a trained pallet like the others nor the lingo but I love craft beer. So here goes......

Yep can smell the cherry not too sweet either. Can't taste it though, smokey taste instead in a good way. After my first taste now smelling both cherries and smoke. I like the smoke.mmmm....now getting a lingering cherry taste after letting it sit for bit. Yep this a drinker.....never had anything like it. Well done GP. Thank you.

Damn

Thanks Damn.... Its not as much cherry flavour as planned. Roasted coconut is non existent in the taste and smell. But in the end it isn't to bad, just nothing like it was intended.

Glad you liked it.

17. GrumpyPaul - Cherry Ripe Porter bottled 19/5 well and truly ready to drink now.

Bubble fizz strike me
Clean is the destination,
Drunk town is hello!

Not getting too much cherry or ripe. A little too spritzy for this gentleman’s taste receptor machines. With this beers mild body I can see it being a summer delight.

I have been drinking… this is what I think about serious questions:
1098415_641644455847237_488275117_n.jpg

Grainer Wit:

Just spent 7 hours in the hospital with the old man after a days work and i need a beer so this review is going to be short sorry.
Very bright clear orangy, Smell a sweet honey maybe or some other light processed sugar note. and light citrus, coriander tea to me.
Washed down nicely, note the citrus in the taste and finish, kinda note a worty taste for a moment. could be a bit more carb and a taste of bitterness just to add a little more bite to the finish

beer is clean and refreshing and going down very well after a ken hunt of a day, wish i put both bottles in the fridge.

cheers

Vitalstatistix said:
Clearly photoshopped, i mean, just look at how straight his hairline is. Nobody can cut hair that straight!

Home now, need to put a few in the fridge...

Vitalstatistix said:
17. GrumpyPaul - Cherry Ripe Porter bottled 19/5 well and truly ready to drink now.

Bubble fizz strike me
Clean is the destination,
Drunk town is hello!

Not getting too much cherry or ripe. A little too spritzy for this gentleman’s taste receptor machines. With this beers mild body I can see it being a summer delight.

I have been drinking… this is what I think about serious questions:
1098415_641644455847237_488275117_n.jpg
Post #76 - Vitalstatistix

Review reads hilariously.

Alcohol heat is present and lingering.

Brainfeel is unusual and confusing, but still to style.

Some lacing still evident by the end of the post.

Dry finish.

Overall, very enjoyable. ..well done !

Latest posts

Back